BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why is the Q19 headway on Sunday so bad? It should run every 12 minutes so residents can take it to the M60.

The Q19 runs terrible regardless. The headways are terrible but quite a lot of people use it. Couple that with the drivers playing games and it’s just a shit show. I saw a driver sitting at the terminal for 10+ minutes after he finished his run a little late. He was supposed to leave at 1:30 but left at like 1:45 and the bus following him was just empty and trailing 5 mins behind.

On another note, 6398 is hopping on the Kosciuszko Brdge, anyone know where it’s going?

5 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

The Q19 runs terrible regardless. The headways are terrible but quite a lot of people use it. Couple that with the drivers playing games and it’s just a shit show. I saw a driver sitting at the terminal for 10+ minutes after he finished his run a little late. He was supposed to leave at 1:30 but left at like 1:45 and the bus following him was just empty and trailing 5 mins behind.

On another note, 6398 is hopping on the Kosciuszko Brdge, anyone know where it’s going?

6398 is probably working the L train shuttle.

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

It's insane. It's crucial to serving local stops along Astoria Blvd. If they dont want to do that, then make the M60 stop at more stops along Astoria Bl.

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

6365 has the same setup in the rear as the 6800s and NG hybrids... Was this bus always set up like this?

Glad I finally got to ride 6365, hopefully AMS Depot is in its future!

6365 also 6371 have been like that since it was based out of Mother Clara Hale Depot I remember riding them on the bx33 and was amazed when I noticed how different it looks from the other 6300s and 6400s

As of late. Haven’t really seen 6117, 19, 23 and 25 on SBS duty on the B44. I’m only guessing that they are being used for training purposes. Hopefully those buses are being utilized for Utica Avenue service. 

Also, noticed that FB started putting ads on the 4 SBS buses that came from quill. However, no rear ads. 

On 2/23/2019 at 7:27 PM, Bay Ridge Express said:

With OMNY rolling out, it will be interesting to see how student metrocards will be applied onto it...

Boston has had student tap cards for years now (my cousin has one) and it’s basically the same concept as NYC, where the schools distribute it and the city pays the transit agency for it. Only differences are that the Boston pass can be used on the weekends and that you can use it in zone 1 (city zone) on their commuter rail.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:36 PM, Lil 57 said:

Doesn't the schools pay for the MetroCards? I remember losing my MetroCard in freshman year and the lady who was in charge of the MetroCards said that they are worth $1200.

Back in 2010 the city paid a flat rate of $45 million for the entire Student MetroCard program regardless of the number of swipes.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:46 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The (MTA) eats the cost of the Metrocards. I believe they also eat the cost of providing the service too (trippers). 

See above. And yes that is true about the trippers.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:18 AM, Lil 57 said:

If students aren't using them, take them away from them. The majority of students I see that get on the bus in SI just walk past the bus driver. If there is a way to track usage for each student, that can be used to determine who gets a MetroCard for the next term. Some kids drive/have their parents drive them to school and barely use any from of public transportation. If the MetroCard usage rate goes under a certain threshold for a student, take it away from them. I also propose eliminating half-fare MetroCards. No one really uses them. Who's going to want to carry a bunch of loose change to use the bus to/from school everyday. Those students either use a regular MetroCard or simply don't pay the fare.

If a student gets driven I don't see the harm in giving them a MetroCard in case they need it on a particular day.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So in other words, whatever overage the (MTA) has to pay, no?

Correct. And there's a huge overage. I think it's something like 500,000 students on the system every weekday (so IIRC the city was basically paying about $0.33 per trip and telling the MTA to eat the rest of the cost)

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Base fare should go up to $3, express should go down to $6, get rid of the bonuses, increase weekly limited for both, keep monthly the same, make a monthly for the express, end of debate. 

I think that the express buses should have peak and off-peak fares. i.e. Peak is $7 while off-peak is $5.50. It might be easier to do this on the SI express routes because they have different codes for peak and off-peak routes.

10 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

As of late. Haven’t really seen 6117, 19, 23 and 25 on SBS duty on the B44. I’m only guessing that they are being used for training purposes. Hopefully those buses are being utilized for Utica Avenue service. 

Also, noticed that FB started putting ads on the 4 SBS buses that came from quill. However, no rear ads. 

They are all out of service at the moment. However I have not looked into why. 

On another note the fleet deployment plans have changed yet again. It looks like FB will get a mix of new buses as well as some from Quill. B46+ articulation is subject to hold. Flatbush totals have in fact been reduced from 57 to 36 new buses. 

28 minutes ago, East New York said:

On another note the fleet deployment plans have changed yet again. It looks like FB will get a mix of new buses as well as some from Quill. B46+ articulation is subject to hold. Flatbush totals have in fact been reduced from 57 to 36 new buses. 

One must ask this question to why FB is getting a mixture of new and existing fleet from quill. Sometimes I really wish that the DOB could get it right and just keep everything the way it is. In a way I understand why they are doing this. However, FB is getting the shorthand of the stick with this order. 

Honestly, I don’t think the (MTA) wants to go thru with the 46+ articulation if they keep chopping away with the order.  In addition to all of this the whole XD40 order is already accounted for and if there wasn’t a big fiasco with West Farms definitely FB would of saw additional XD40’s along with 7615-7662. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

16 minutes ago, East New York said:

One must ask this question to why FB is getting a mixture of new and existing fleet from quill. Sometimes I really wish that the DOB could get it right and just keep everything the way it is. In a way I understand why they are doing this. However, FB is getting the shorthand of the stick with this order. 

Honestly, I don’t think the (MTA) wants to go thru with the 46+ articulation if they keep chopping away with the order.  In addition to all of this the whole XD40 order is already accounted for and if there wasn’t a big fiasco with West Farms definitely FB would of saw additional XD40’s along with 7615-7662. 

14 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Question is why in the world is quill getting more buses than they actually need? If the MTA is doing some short of L train shuttle for April I could understand why but at this point I am confused. 

I feel those XD60s are getting pushed out of SBS duty, idk about the M14 LFSAs. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

18 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly, I don’t think the (MTA) wants to go thru with the 46+ articulation if they keep chopping away with the order.  In addition to all of this the whole XD40 order is already accounted for and if there wasn’t a big fiasco with West Farms definitely FB would of saw additional XD40’s along with 7615-7662. 

Right I mean idc if Flatbush doesn't get extra artics for the B46 sbs, what's gonna piss me off is if they end up having 2017 and 2019 models...

16 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Question is why in the world is quill getting more buses than they actually need? If the MTA is doing some short of L train shuttle for April I could understand why but at this point I am confused. 

They've already begun pushing buses out, 3 XD60s have left Quill for Casey Stengel. The current XD60s were never meant to be at Quill from the get-go.

2 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Right I mean idc if Flatbush doesn't get extra artics for the B46 sbs, what's gonna piss me off is if they end up having 2017 and 2019 models...

But they're practically the same thing though lmao.

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

They've already begun pushing buses out, 3 XD60s have left Quill for Casey Stengel. The current XD60s were never meant to be at Quill from the get-go.

That I know. But what i'm trying to get at is to why do they even need all those artics in the first place? I know they have the most sbs routes and soon to be completely sbs artic routes in future but they're already in the process of getting new LSFAs for the M14 and 15 XE60s in future. So technically they will have well over 110 artics for that depot alone. 

So that leaves me to speculate there might be some sort of supplement shuttle for the L train in April

Buses for the M96 sbs (if it will be transfered to quill)

Or they're giving Quill special treatment for no reason. 

40 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly, I don’t think the (MTA) wants to go thru with the 46+ articulation if they keep chopping away with the order.  In addition to all of this the whole XD40 order is already accounted for and if there wasn’t a big fiasco with West Farms definitely FB would of saw additional XD40’s along with 7615-7662

This is driving me bonkers. Don’t mean to ask, but I wonder what they would have against Flatbush? I’m just asking.