BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Oh yeah! Saw that yesterday on the B41. It still had GH decals at the time.

Too bad right now The Brooklyn Division (FB/FP/JG/GA) won’t put those super ultra king wraps even though it’s advertising client Outfront Media states those ultra king ads can be found in Manhattan & Brooklyn Division buses. 

The (MTA) is crying foul with no money. Spread some love in the Brooklyn Division for these Super Ultra King ads or start going back to rear wraps. 

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Eventually, they might get replaced with Clever Devices (Version 3), since the other 2015 XD40s are receiving those screens as well. 

7315, 7444-7445, and 7467-7482 actually have version 2 screens, like the 2018-19 XD40s running on the B46 SBS that supplanted the 2014-15 XD40s for SBS duty. However, 7315 is supposedly not active since leaving SBS service.

Also, don’t mean to ask this, but why are they not standardizing the installations based on fleet type (I.e, all XD40s get version 2, all XD60s get version 3, etc)? Wouldn’t the lack of consistency amongst fleet models cause some maintenance issues if a certain depot has 100% of one model and some of those models have like different screens? I’m just asking here.

Also, when are some of these screens ever going to be reactivated for local service, specifically the screens on the ex-SBS units?

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

These are one of the first test screens that the MTA used. These are called Strategic (Version 1 in the MTA Screens/Announcements thread). They were used on the first B46 SBS XD40s, 73xx-73xx. They were so bad the MTA didn't install them on other buses, so these are currently OOS. Eventually, they might get replaced with Clever Devices (Version 3), since the other 2015 XD40s are receiving those screens as well. 

I've seen these used on the recent New Flyers. Would be great if they can get the right tech in there to implement on the older ones as well...

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

7315, 7444-7445, and 7467-7482 actually have version 2 screens, like the 2018-19 XD40s running on the B46 SBS that supplanted the 2014-15 XD40s for SBS duty. However, 7315 is supposedly not active since leaving SBS service.

Also, don’t mean to ask this, but why are they not standardizing the installations based on fleet type (I.e, all XD40s get version 2, all XD60s get version 3, etc)? Wouldn’t the lack of consistency amongst fleet models cause some maintenance issues if a certain depot has 100% of one model and some of those models have like different screens? I’m just asking here.

Also, when are some of these screens ever going to be reactivated for local service, specifically the screens on the ex-SBS units?

What kind of maintenance issues would they have with just screens....?

10 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

What is the purpose of sending the 6500s to MTA Bus?

Previously, retiring the RTS that they have (LGA and JFK).  *Which was already done. 

Currently, they're here as spares (or extra buses for the summer season to/from the beach)

Edited by Calvin

15 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Sheesh who would've known changing the S.I bus signs would cause these interior screens and side screens to start buggin. 

Most of them DON’T work. Either the screens are totally black, the voice that announces the stops has a bug or something... Crazy...

jki0iq.jpg

This personally rips my heart out. Such a sad sight to see. 6365 and 6489 are here too but this wouldn't cooperate adding the photos.

For some reason 8971 and 9006 are still there. A D60 appears to have been reserved too (117 or 127) all the way in the back. That red Triboro Fishbowl I didn't see back there anymore...

The amount of 6300s - 6400s there kills me though lol

3 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

That’s a museum bus IIRC which explains why it’s still around

The hell is that doing in the yard still lmao that was scrapped late last spring. Must’ve been sitting there for over a year

D60 appears to have been reserved too (117 or 127) 

Very intriguing... well 117 was the last 2002 to run and 127 was either the last or second to last 2003 to run (either that or 5659) i think, so either of those units do have significance.

then again, they it could just be that they haven’t towed it off the lot for whatever reason. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in on this.

Don't know why but this was also at ECH on the other side by itself

Probably maintenance? But don’t quote me on that

Edited by Orion6025
Removed an extra lmao

jki0iq.jpg

When the RTS and the Orion V’s were still in service together back in 2014 in my head I would still think of the OG Orion VII’s as new buses. I guess maybe the mindset behind that is because they have a newer design, low floor and a majority have orange signs except 6365-6489. But then I’m like wait a minute all the OG Orion VII’s are all over 10 years, these buses are old now haha. 

Even when I look at the R142’s I think of them as new even though the oldest one is almost 20 years old. Of course they are newer than the R62’s but wow it’s easy to forget how old they are until you remember when they entered service. 

It just goes to show that time keeps moving, next thing you know your favorite bus fleet is being retired and replaced by something else. 

I have been operating the 2018/19 NF XD60's and I notice these buses are super slow when it comes to acceleration time, its even worst  when you're going uphill with a standing load. I believe MTA probably reprogrammed the computer to slow the transmission speed on those buses. I notice its only happening on the 2018/19 models for example bus # 6133 acceleration time is slow and the other higher numbers buses does the same reaction, but bus # 6113-6119 acceleration is much faster compared to the 6130's updated models.

39 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

I have been operating the 2018/19 NF XD60's and I notice these buses are super slow when it comes to acceleration time, its even worst  when you're going uphill with a standing load. I believe MTA probably reprogrammed the computer to slow the transmission speed on those buses. I notice its only happening on the 2018/19 models for example bus # 6133 acceleration time is slow and the other higher numbers buses does the same reaction, but bus # 6113-6119 acceleration is much faster compared to the 6130's updated models.

Yepp up to 6125 are 2017 models, 6126 and up are 2019. It's just a transmission modification the MTA has, I really wish this LBSS thing was never invented, the 4800s were ROCKETS when they first arrived, literally the fastest accelerating buses in the fleet, now everything is for efficiency so LBSS is designed to save as much fuel while trying to use low RPMs. 

Would be nice if we can go back to non LBSS days, or at least modify it better, sheesh other agencies that have high speed routes do it right. 

I wonder if the NYC Bus depots that used to have the RTS are still on shortage or that that's over with  since the XD-40 order is finishing up (7851-7905 coming soon)

Also, around 7PM, I was going to take the B3 from McDonald Av to Ocean Av but missed it. However, I walked from McDonald Av to Ocean Av via Av U, I ended up seeing that missed bus at E.11th St. Next B3 when looking it up via mobile device was at Av.U/W.7 St. Overall, ended up walking than waiting for the next bus. 

Edited by Calvin

10 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

When and what will the Orion VII Originals be replaced with?

If you mean the Green Flipdot VII's
MHV will receive 3960-4700 3rd Gens from various depots, QV: newer LFS with 8072-8081

The ones from 6490 and above: TBD

Edited by Calvin

7 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

When and what will the Orion VII Originals be replaced with?

If you are talking about the whole Orion VII original fleet in general, they will be replaced by a mix of new and displaced buses.

The 2003-04 Orion VIIs and supposedly the first 158 2004-05 Orion VIIs are to be replaced together with the RTS (which has since been retired) by the current order of 367 XD40s, 251 LFS units, and 10 XDE40s. That is 628 buses total, enough to retire all of those buses, since 350 RTS + 125 Orion VIIs + 158 Orion VIIs equals 633 buses to be replaced. 628 buses should be enough to retire all of those units.

The last 42 2004-05 Orion VIIs and all 216 2006-07 Orion VIIs under NYCT (6690-6905) are to be replaced by the upcoming order of 275 diesel-electric hybrid buses. 42 of the 2004-05 units + 216 of the 2006-07 units equals 258 buses needing to be retired, and 275 units is actually more than enough to replace the 258 units.

If you are talking about the 2003-04 ones specially, read @Calvin‘s post.