BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 6/24/2019 at 11:24 PM, Coney Island Av said:

Absolutely great news for the museum! We officially have a D60HF in the museum fleet (5534, or 117 after it got renumbered). I know it's already been reported over in the scrapped equipment thread, but this is huge news and 5534 will be the first articulated bus in the collection. 

I already shared it to my peeps on Discord. What I am not happy with is that, they scrapped #1004 due to it's decommisioning and I had to panic a little. #1004 is the most important to show how the artic milestone started(even though that unit in that series of 1996-98 are my least favs). But now #5534(one of my favorite unit) gets to be saved  as the first 60ft bus in collection, I hope they stated as the the first bus model of artic buses in history on the museum info.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, King Transit said:

first bus model of artic buses in history on the museum info.

You talking about history of the MTA or history of the world cause I can think of plenty that rolled out before the D60.......

Edited by Orion6025

So this morning, my mom told me a blue LFS got into an accident with a sanitation truck. She also told me that the side of the bus was damn near totaled, sadly, I don't know the number, but it happened on the Bx10. The day before, an MCI on the BxM3 got into an accident with a car, the bus barely looked like it was touched, while the car had a reasonable gash on the side in the front. Luckily, everyone was okay it seems in both accidents, sadly, someone was graduating in the car-MCI crash, so sadly, she should've took the train instead of being driven. lol

2 minutes ago, NBTA said:

So this morning, my mom told me a blue LFS got into an accident with a sanitation truck. She also told me that the side of the bus was damn near totaled, sadly, I don't know the number, but it happened on the Bx10. The day before, an MCI on the BxM3 got into an accident with a car, the bus barely looked like it was touched, while the car had a reasonable gash on the side in the front. Luckily, everyone was okay it seems in both accidents, sadly, someone was graduating in the car-MCI crash, so sadly, she should've took the train instead of being driven. lol

I don't see anything on the news about this but I guess the bus is going to be scraped, before the delivery is complete.

6 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I don't see anything on the news about this but I guess the bus is going to be scraped, before the delivery is complete.

I honestly hope not, but we shall see, it happened at around 8:00 so, maybe it'll come up soon.

57 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I wish in a perfect world that the (MTA) should of brought 550 Washington Street and converted into a mega depot with at least 450 buses and a CMF for the Manhattan Division.. Just wishful thinking. (Too bad that building is now Google)

Speaking of that, I also have a dream to open up a bus depot(with my celebrity money). And my dream depot would be made to hold 650-700 buses and will be strictly electric New Flyers(mainly Xcelsiors, if it's production of those didn't stop), plus a CMF . And I would name it, maybe...."West Indies Depot"(mascot of West indies with an Xcelsior in the middle, "Clement Depot"(with my uncle's face to honor his future retirement or death in later years), or "Paul Walker Depot"(mascot of Paul Walker's face). That depot will be between Brooklyn and Queens(somewhere in the border).

1 hour ago, King Transit said:

Speaking of that, I also have a dream to open up a bus depot(with my celebrity money). And my dream depot would be made to hold 650-700 buses and will be strictly electric New Flyers(mainly Xcelsiors, if it's production of those didn't stop), plus a CMF . And I would name it, maybe...."West Indies Depot"(mascot of West indies with an Xcelsior in the middle, "Clement Depot"(with my uncle's face to honor his future retirement or death in later years), or "Paul Walker Depot"(mascot of Paul Walker's face). That depot will be between Brooklyn and Queens(somewhere in the border).

....I go on vacation for a few days, and I come back with you wanting to open a West Indies Depot and having celebrity money???

Whatever you are smoking, pass that around! 😂

8 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

....I go on vacation for a few days, and I come back with you wanting to open a West Indies Depot and having celebrity money???

Whatever you are smoking, pass that around! 😂

Man, that's my dream in the future when I make big buck, you can't see it yet. Smoking ??? You don't even believe in crazy dreams 😂😂

Deleted !

2 hours ago, King Transit said:

The day you own a bus depot in NYC is the same day I pack up my sh*t and leave NYC for good 

7 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

The day you own a bus depot in NYC is the same day I pack up my sh*t and leave NYC for good 

This should not be the cause. I will be out of NYC when this happens. I tell others that, and they believe that it will help speed up service. It is not like I am adding negativity to the MTA.

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

Do all of them have Brooklyn wraps or do some still have the Bronx Zoo ones?

Not all. The ones from Kingsbridge and Gun Hill transfered to Flatbush have the Bronx Zoo. The others have the Brooklyn forumla 1 racing wrap  

Flatbush, Grand, Mike Quill, MCH, MV, Ulmer Park (EXP ONLY) have the wraps. Too bad Ulmer Park can’t put wraps on their XD40’s as those wraps are solely for express and I believe Outfront doesn’t have the dimensions for the XD40’s for NYCT (MTA) yet. Possibly in the near future. 

Random thought: Some of the GTFS data for some SI routes is wrong. Here are some examples. BusTime also shows all of these errors so it's even worse.

1. The S90 LTD is shown making all local stops west of Park Ave, however, that's not the case. LTD stop service continues to South Ave. 

2. The S94 LTD has a LTD stop at Lafayette/Richmond Terrace, however GTFS data only shows that the S44 stops there (This is also reflected on the screens on the S94, not showing that stop).

3. The WB S96 LTD shows the Castleton/Brighton stop, even though it doesn't stop there (This is also reflected on the screens on the S96).

4. The first NB stop on the S89 LTD is shown with the S59 and S79 SBS, even though it should be where the S54 is.

So if people uses google maps to use one of these routes, they are out of luck.

Edited by Lil 57

32 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Random thought: Some of the GTFS data for some SI routes is wrong. Here are some examples. BusTime also shows all of these errors so it's even worse.

1. The S90 LTD is shown making all local stops west of Park Ave, however, that's not the case. LTD stop service continues to South Ave. 

2. The S94 LTD has a LTD stop at Lafayette/Richmond Terrace, however GTFS data only shows that the S44 stops there (This is also reflected on the screens on the S94, not showing that stop).

3. The WB S96 LTD shows the Castleton/Brighton stop, even though it doesn't stop there (This is also reflected on the screens on the S96).

4. The first NB stop on the S89 LTD is shown with the S59 and S79 SBS, even though it should be where the S54 is.

So if people uses google maps to use one of these routes, they are out of luck.

Have you sent this to via Email to MTA/NYCT so they can make the appropriate changes on the GTFS Data?  It is quite common to have no communication between departments.

1 minute ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Have you sent this to via Email to MTA/NYCT so they can make the appropriate changes on the GTFS Data?  It is quite common to have no communication between departments.

I should, do I just file a complaint from their website?

Edited by Lil 57

16 hours ago, NBTA said:

13 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Doesn't the bus get replaced if it's under warranty?

So that this discussion does not get out of hand, the bus involved was 8359.  The bus has lot of damage to the right side.  However, there is no reason to scrap this bus.  Transit will easily be able to procure the replacement parts from Nova.  The only way a bus gets scrapped is if there's frame damage and certainly this was a low speed collision.  The guys in the shops are quite skilled.

I saw a video of the accident scene somewhere yesterday.  However I forget where.  Therefore I will not be able to show the video.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth