BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Here's what I'm very confused of....

Since 2018, I always know that the XD40s from 2017-18 had the ISL9 engine. I first rode these out of FB as +SBS units, and they sound robotic with the EPA 17 ISL while the transmission was retained from the 2015 XD40s(same with the XD40s from ENY, UP, Grand Ave, Fresh Pond, etc....). Until this year, I read Cummins L9 for every single one of these unit of the cuomofied XD40s(@TTMG). Then as I rode FB's new XD40 more and more(especially the others from various depots in 2 boroughs) , and I notice most of these units have the L9 sounds like the XN60's power(different from last year). Until last week, I experience one of FB's unit with the EPA 17 ISL9 combination, which means that it's not the L9 power. Does this mean that most of these cuomofied XD40s are repowered(not the 2019s that orignally got the Cummins L9) ??? I was not notified with the repowered note.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

Jeez, she missed her 15 minutes of fame BECAUSE IN THIS DAY AND AGE THE MTA DOESN'T THINK CAMERAS ON BUSES ARE NECESSARY for safety and other purposes.  FUN FACT: Did you know that all of Target's store cameras are linked, and can have footage pulled from Minneapolis from any of their locations IN REAL TIME, PLUS Target's got their own "CSI" Crime Lab that actually rivals the FBI's? (EDIT ADD: And they actually had that technology [plus building on it since] over 10 years ago? Target [Private Industry]: 1,000,000; MTA: 0, for those keeping score.)

If only that chick had taken out her anger on a subway platform, THEN the MTA flatfoots could've caught her, or at LEAST her pic would've been caught and then plastered in the Post.

Screwed herself because she didn't have her PMS attack in Brooklyn. Only lowly SI.

Neither did the D60HF's before they went out.

10 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

As far as the q114 reroute,  it's about time!  

The issue isn't the Q113 being unreliable, it's more of the flooding that constantly happens along Brookvile Rd. 

As far as traffic along Rockaway Blvd,  it's only bad between the Nassau expressway and Brookville. Between brookvilke and Brewer,  it's a straight highway-like shot with about one or two traffic lights in between. 

This change is also streamlining the two routes, similar to the q52/53 for when it may just become sbs in the future. The only difference between the q113/114 now is the routing within nassau county. 

This change will permanently discontinue service at two bus stops at Brookville Boulevard.

48115850626_ce2dc045c1_b.jpgBrookville Boulevard and 147th Road bus stops by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48115850986_549e194b49_b.jpgBrookville Boulevard and 148th Road Bus Stops by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

At most, this will add 10 minutes to the commutes for the few people using these two stops (if they are heading toward Jamaica) + the need to transfer to the Q114 for faster service or the additional time on the Q111.

48115958078_5494943f99_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-23 at 4.01.47 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

This route really is flooded and is very narrow.

48115946362_a5abbf8664_b.jpgCommence Flooding by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48115945927_917aa36da6_b.jpgStopped by a garbage truck, there goes bus service! by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48115944877_2d3fa7fb7b_b.jpgSplash! by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48115944097_aca86f3445_b.jpgSplash again! by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

From what I can read on the low quality image of the poster, it says

"Route and bus stop changes along 147 Av and Brookville Blvd"

Then I can't read the following paragraph until "will be using Rockaway Blvd to/from Rockaway Tpke and Five Towns."

"To/from Jamaica, take the Q111 along 147 Av,

To/from the Rockaways, take the Q111 along 147 Av and transfer to/from the Q113 or Q114 on Guy R Brewer Blvd at 147 Av

A limited-stop variant of the Q111 called the Q115 should be implemented to speed up service along 147 Avenue to make up for the loss of Q114 service along the corridor. Also, get rid of the stupid Q111 trips into Cedarhurst!

Edited by Union Tpke

On 6/21/2019 at 1:20 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If you use trip planner, the Q114 no longer shows up as an option from the 147 Avenue stops (starting from 6/30). 

IMO this is a terrible move. There are people who use it along 147th Avenue. The only reason I believe this is happening is because the Q113 buses are so unreliable and MIA, causing the Q114 buses to be severely behind schedule because its dealing with two loads of bus riders. I've been on 114s that took two hours from Jamaica to Far Rockaway because of that.

When you put 12:47 a.m. on 6/30

48116217502_b28f36b5e0_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-23 at 4.35.16 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

When you put  12:48 a.m. on 6/30

48116123251_5836cdc8e9_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-23 at 4.35.31 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48116153443_0922c7f265_b.jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-23 at 4.35.25 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I blame DOT for the awful road conditions throughout Rockaways. It is unbelievable and pathetic. The flooding could at least be mitigated by redoing the roads. 

i truly thought that's what DOT (or whatever private company the city hired instead of DOT) was doing on rockaway beach blvd between beach 73rd & beach 90. i fully agree, the roads east of Hammels suck a fat one

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
i meant east

When Pelham Pkwy eastbound was under construction a couple years ago the Bx12 was moved to the service road in that direction. Now that Pelham Pkwy westbound is under construction, why is the Bx12 still using the main road in that direction even tho it’s getting stuck in traffic along that whole stretch?

XE40s that Quill has seem only to run on the the M42/50. Would be nice if they ran in service on any 40FT route out of Quill like the all Proterras buses at Grand do... I mean this is test phase for these buses so wouldn't make sense to expose to all operating conditions and longer routes like M20?

I noticed the XE40 accelerate like light rail trains rather than a bus. It's funny as you can take an Siemens powered (N) or (Q) train to times square and transfer to a Siemens powered XE40, this has to be the first time in history that an manufacturer made an powertrain for both subway cars and buses.

23 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Would be nice if they ran in service on any 40FT route out of Quill li

For the record, they have done the M22 and M11 (1 afternoon tripper) but both of those instances were a while ago

24 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

expose to all operating conditions and longer routes like M20?

That shit would probably run out of juice after spending an hour sitting in traffic outside the port authority 🙄. Seriously though that would a smart decision...

5 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

how’s m20 midday usage on average? The bus i’m on is close to SRO, which I never would have expected... Might help that the last southbound m20 to come through passed by around 50 minutes ago..

Depends if it's in Midtown, or south of Chelsea, basically....

A southbound bus b/w Lincoln Center & 14th street around that time is so-so to moderate; may have most the seats in the front part of the bus (as in, before you get to the back door) occupied, and about a handful of people in the back of the bus seated or so.... South of 14th during the midday hrs, very likely you won't see more than 10 people on the bus.....

If you see standees at any part of the midday (regardless of where the bus is at), something is wrong & it's not typical at all.

Absolutely great news for the museum! We officially have a D60HF in the museum fleet (5534, or 117 after it got renumbered). I know it's already been reported over in the scrapped equipment thread, but this is huge news and 5534 will be the first articulated bus in the collection. 

However, there's also ANOTHER bus that is pending preservation! According to the TTMG roster, 6326 (a 1999 Orion V) also might be preserved! We do have the 1993 Orion V (93001) and the two ex-Beeline roadeo buses (174 and 180), but we haven't had a 1999 Orion V added to the museum collection before. Regardless of whether it's too similar to the 1993s or not, the possible addition of this bus is certainly an accomplishment! 

Currently both 5534 and 6326 are stored at ECH presumably awaiting restoration. We also have 4904 and 8971 up there (both preserved) in addition. 

Edited by Coney Island Av

20 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Absolutely great news for the museum! We officially have a D60HF in the museum fleet (5534, or 117 after it got renumbered). I know it's already been reported over in the scrapped equipment thread, but this is huge news and 5534 will be the first articulated bus in the collection. 

However, there's also ANOTHER bus that is pending preservation! According to the TTMG roster, 6326 (a 1999 Orion V) also might be preserved! We do have the 1993 Orion V (93001) and the two ex-Beeline roadeo buses (174 and 180), but we haven't had a 1999 Orion V added to the museum collection before. Regardless of whether it's too similar to the 1993s or not, the addition of this bus is certainly a great accomplishment! 

Currently both 5534 and 6326 are stored at ECH presumably awaiting restoration. We also have 4904 and 8971 up there (both preserved) in addition. 

i wouldn't start dancing just yet. Remember what happened to the other 1999 that was supposed to be "preserved"