BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, King Transit said:

Please, tell me this is a code break. Is this really SI in the background or Queens ????

23 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

SI is in the background since I see a sign for Fingerboard road. I'm pretty sure this was photoshopped.

Yes, this is clearly is a photoshopped picture. The shadow alone should tell.

4 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Hi all,

Soon, I will have to be commuting from northern Roosevelt Island to the Columbus Circle area. I was wondering what the best route is.

I also posted this in the Subway topic.

Thanks!

Take the (F) to West 4th Street and transfer to the (A)(C)(B) or (D) to 59th Street.

15 minutes ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Hi all,

Soon, I will have to be commuting from northern Roosevelt Island to the Columbus Circle area. I was wondering what the best route is.

Thanks!

hm... all I have in mind is take the Roosevelt Island tramway and switch to the M57 or M31.

Edited by Blasez

1 hour ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Take the (F) to 57th street and walk, if an M57 bus is coming when you come out the subway, then hop on that to Columbus Circle.

Today I was waiting for the M5 at 72 St/West End, had just ran to make the transfer from the M57, and the driver saw me running, I was waving the bus down, and he just breezed by the stop. We then had to wait *16 min* for the next M5.

Bus #4233

M5 Northbound

72 St/West End Av

Could we like, stop with the invisible Q44 buses on MTA BusTime, please? This is making my commute between Jamaica & Throggs Neck Shopping Center FORTY MINUTES LONGER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE.

Context: The 8:03 PM Q44 out of Jamaica was invisible to BusTime, AND late irl. I made the mistake of boarding a Q20A, and just missed a transfer between the Q20A & the ghosting Q44 at Main/Manton. Stupid...

Just now, Axis said:

Could we like, stop with the invisible Q44 buses on MTA BusTime, please? This is making my commute between Jamaica & Throggs Neck Shopping Center FORTY MINUTES LONGER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE.

Context: The 8:03 PM Q44 out of Jamaica was invisible to BusTime, AND late irl. I made the mistake of boarding a Q20A, and just missed a transfer between the Q20A & the ghosting Q44 at Main/Manton. Stupid...

What was your plan once you got on the Q20A? To connect with the Q50?

2 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

Today I was waiting for the M5 at 72 St/West End, had just ran to make the transfer from the M57, and the driver saw me running, I was waving the bus down, and he just breezed by the stop. We then had to wait *16 min* for the next M5.

Bus #4233

M5 Northbound

72 St/West End Av

For you and others in a similar situation in NYC: Won't make a difference, even if your M57 operator blew the horn to alert the M5. (Our B/Os out here in the "wild" [far from the civilization known as NYC and the NE Corridor] actually pay attention to other intersecting buses when rolling up, and in Detroit, many DDOT operators know when buses are scheduled due to being Board and actually working the different runs. SMART ops? Couldn't GAF in the least or even tell you other schedules, even though most run 60 min headways. I digress ...)

Running for a bus pulling off? Get in the right mirror, and *gently* smack the window ....... WHOOPS! This only really works where outside cameras are in operation, and nice backup material to a complaint can be had.

Yours truly does NOT usually run for a bus and gets to stops minimum 5 minutes before scheduled (even before the "arrival" forecast via the Tracker). But in cases where a route is over the 20-minute headway mark (15 on select rotten days), I'll chase the bus if on a pull-off, and best thing is to get in the mirror. Stay up off the wheels on the pavement and you'll be fine, plus someone on board will say something and the bus will stop.

OUR cameras catch everything. FACT: "Homeless"/unstable cat who murdered a Wayne State University police officer was caught/identified via a DDOT bus camera -- not ON (in) the bus, but crossing Grand River Av at 3 AM (while bus was doing regular route, he was caught by one of the outside cameras) during the time in question. [EDIT within above to clarify.]

In your situation, though, I'm gonna be "callous" and say, "Sucks to be you."

This is your MTA -- "Going your way", as their saying goes.

Edited by DetSMART45

9 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

What was your plan once you got on the Q20A? To connect with the Q50?

Update: Managed to transfer to a second Q44 at Main/Melbourne.

Offtopic — They really need to redo the departure/arrival times, and the bus stops along Archer Avenue for the Q44 & Q114 to connect better. I always keep just missing a Q44 at Archer Avenue, no matter what Q114 I take.

Edited by Axis

20 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I truly don’t understand why some people in the chat think they’re so sure that Castleton ain’t keeping the new Novas.

Maybe they will, maybe they won’t, but anything can happen and anything is subject to change.

Right, everyone is quick to say everything is subject to change but now all of sudden everything is final. 🤣