BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

10 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Have you sent this to via Email to MTA/NYCT so they can make the appropriate changes on the GTFS Data?  It is quite common to have no communication between departments.

I've emailed multiple times about GTFS errors for the Q46, and no one from the (MTA) ever responds to me or corrects the errors. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Have you sent this to via Email to MTA/NYCT so they can make the appropriate changes on the GTFS Data?  It is quite common to have no communication between departments.

Please. I had a meeting with the (MTA) which also included BusTime issues back in February. To get anything done, you first need the bigwigs to admit there is a problem. I had Craig Cipriano sitting right in front of me claiming that they knew there was a problem with the antennas and that they were addressing the issue with Verizon. That meeting was on February 20th. We are now over four months removed from that meeting and the situation is worsening by the day. They have to have the vendor come on-site to fix the GPS. Ok fine, then set up a system to pull buses and get them fixed with an actual timeline! Are we supposed to wait an entire year or more for them to fix the tracking on their buses? BusTime has been out now for over eight years and the amount of buses (local and express) that appear and disappear at random is absurd. To top it off they try to blame the disappearing buses on people using non (MTA) apps. Please... 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I guess they only changed some.

Q1, Q2, Q3, Q5, Q13, Q16, Q17, Q20, Q26, Q27, Q28, Q30, Q31, Q32, Q36, Q43, Q44, Q46, Q54, Q55, Q58, Q76, Q83, Q85

I am not doing the rest of the boroughs.

I moved this here since it has nothing to do with express buses. Could you post a link for one of the mentioned routes? And no, I’m not asking for the other boroughs.

1 minute ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I moved this here since it has nothing to do with express buses. Could you post a link for one of the mentioned routes? And no, I’m not asking for the other boroughs.

If you're using the old site, the schedules are not updated. They're slowly trying to transition everything on the new site, which is where they appear.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

51 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Is it just me or did they use the night subway map colors by accident?

The M7's detour via 16th Street was eliminated and service via 14th has been restored.

SERVICE RESTORED Effective Monday, July 1 M7 service will be restored to 14 St M7 service will resume at the following stops: On 7 Av at 17 St On 14 St at 7 Av On 6 Av at 15 St On 6 Av at 18 St These temporary stops will be discontinued: 18 St at 7 Av 18 St at 6 Av

Edited by Union Tpke

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Anyone hear anything else about the Q114 change?

Planned work: Effective Sunday, Jun 30 until further notice Q114 LTD and local overnight Q114 buses will be detoured between 147 Av at Guy R Brewer Blvd and Brookville Blvd at Rockaway Blvd because of frequent tidal flooding on Brookville Blvd. Buses will operate on Rockaway Blvd in both directions. The stop on 147 Av at Guy R Brewer Blvd will be moved. Q114 buses will board on Guy R Brewer Blvd at 147 Av. For service along 147 Av, take the Q111 bus instead. Q114 stops discontinued in both directions: Brookville Blvd at 148 Rd Brookville Blvd at 147 Rd 147 Av at 228 St 147 Av at 225 St 147 Av at 182 St 147 Av at Guy R Brewer Blvd Discontinued northbound Q114 stops: 147 Av at 232 St 147 Av at 230 Pl 147 Av at 222 St 147 Av at 184 St Discontinued southbound Q114 stops: 147 Av at Springfield Ln 147 Av at 230 St 147 Av at 231 St 147 Av at 235 St

Effective Sunday, June 30 Q13, Q16 and Q28 will no longer make the late night eastbound stop on Roosevelt Av near Main St Please board these buses at the full time stop located on 39 Av between Lippman Plaza and Union St.

https://mymtaalerts.com/m?B4448

Edited by Union Tpke

It’s funny if you think about it. It’s been raining so much in the past few weeks, the Q114 has probably been finding itself detoured away from 147th Avenue & Brookville Boulevard more often than not. Guess they decided, “Welp! May as well detour it away from there permanently.”

As someone who started using the Q114 to get to/from work regularly a month ago, I am personally all for this service change.

Edited by Axis

45 minutes ago, Axis said:

It’s funny if you think about it. It’s been raining so much in the past few weeks, the Q114 has probably been finding itself detoured away from 147th Avenue & Brookville Boulevard more often than not. Guess they decided, “Welp! May as well detour it away from there permanently.”

As someone who started using the Q114 to get to/from work regularly a month ago, I am personally all for this service change.

The language used indicates that it's supposed to be temporary, and that they'd prefer it to maintain its current route instead of shifting to the Q113's alignment (which is an effective reversion, as a plane crash in 1975 is the whole reason for now-Q114 buses using Brookville Boulevard and 147th Avenue in the first place, and it just happened to be favored by riders).

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If you're using the old site, the schedules are not updated. They're slowly trying to transition everything on the new site, which is where they appear.

They should post that clearly on the old website, or take down the old schedules on the old site! They are unbelievable. 

Just downloaded the buttload of Queens schedules, and be aware of these things:

--Every route has its own PDF, the ones which seem to be "revised" match the listed route name in the list

--Express routes follow the above as well, with some of the Midtown variations either tagged with an _ (underscore) separator in the filename or the route name in the list

--Manhattan and Queens Maps are a different revision number than what @Union Tpke posted earlier -- M is on 4, Q is up to 3

--Maps and Service Guides use the underscore in the filename also (i.e. the Brooklyn Map is busbkln_2, and the service guide is busbkln2). The Queens service guide filename is super funky

Onto the others........

No rhyme or reason to the schedules posted on the "new" MTA site. For example, each SIM "c" or "x" variation has its own schedule link, but is the regular schedule. Same with the Bx1/2 and 4/4A, different filenames that make you think there are separate schedules (Bx2 has an underscore inserted). Even the ones they filenamed instead of the old "b007cur" style could be just the old schedule.

What a mess.

When the MTA puts out a new schedule, it would be ideal if they could give a 1-3 sentence summary of the changes being made within the schedule (ie - "Slight summer service reduction in AM and PM rush"; "New 5:10 AM on the QM5 from Glen Oaks"; "We're cutting your 12 AM QM2 trip - use the 7 train or Port Washington Branch").

NJ Transit already does this on their bus schedules in the "take note" section.

I've been noticing that on Saturdays, there are random S74 trips not on the schedule that go from the ETC to the Bricktown Mall. These trips are usually covered by Yukon. Does anyone have more information about this?

Edited by Lil 57

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Ok, so all of the NYCT routes don't have a route map line on the BusTime app and show a black line on the website. SMH.

Lol I just saw that this morning I saw black on the S79 I'm like something looks different, then I click another route and I'm like ohh the route colors are gone. 

23 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

When the MTA puts out a new schedule, it would be ideal if they could give a 1-3 sentence summary of the changes being made within the schedule (ie - "Slight summer service reduction in AM and PM rush"; "New 5:10 AM on the QM5 from Glen Oaks"; "We're cutting your 12 AM QM2 trip - use the 7 train or Port Washington Branch").

NJ Transit already does this on their bus schedules in the "take note" section.

Port Authority Transit (Pittsburgh) has been doing it for years and it is located on top of the front of the schedule where it should be.

I would like to read the excuses that the suits will come up as to why this totally sensible suggestion had not been implemented years ago other cities have done it.