BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I've piled up some of the stats (with a few notes) for NYCT routes, and as expected, were terrible. There are some rays of hope (like the B24, and the weekend X28). Here are the highest increases and decreases in ridership (percentage-wise):

Weekday Ridership

Bronx

• Highest Increase: Bx20 (+7.8%)
  • Highest Decrease: Bx41 (-13.2%)

Brooklyn

• Highest Increase: B24 (+6.8%)* 
  • Highest Decrease: B7 (-12.4%)

*One of three Brooklyn routes to increase, the others being the B64 & B70

Manhattan

• Highest Increase: M23 (+3.5%)
  • Highest Decrease: M8 (-14.2%)

Queens

• Highest Increase: Q32 (+6.8%)+
  • Highest Decrease: Q26 (-10.4%)

+One of two Queens routes to increase, the other being the Q48.

Staten Island

• Highest Increase: N/A
  • Highest Decrease: S54 (-15.3%)

Express

• Highest Increase: X11/SIM32 (+5.4%)
  • Highest Decrease: X27/37 (-3.3%)

Weekend Ridership

Bronx

• Highest Increase: Bx6 (+3.4%)^ 
  • Highest Decrease: Bx27 (-14.2%)

^Only Bronx route to have an increase in this category

Brooklyn

• Highest Increase: B32 (+11.4%) 
  • Highest Decrease: B7 (-15.3%)

Manhattan

• Highest Increase: M12 (+9.7%)
  • Highest Decrease: M35 (-18.6%)

Queens

• Highest Increase: Q32 (+2.3%)*** 
  • Highest Decrease: Q55 (-7.9%)

***One of two Queens routes to increase, the other being the Q16.

Staten Island

• Highest Decrease: S76 (-11.1%)

Express

• Highest Increase: X28 (+18.3%)
  • Highest Decrease: X27/37 (-2.7%)

Annual Ridership

Bronx

• Highest Increase: Bx20 (+8.2%)
  • Highest Decrease: Bx34 (-14.7%)

Brooklyn

• Highest Increase: B24 (+6.9%)^* 
  • Highest Decrease: B7 (-12.7%)

^*One of two Brooklyn routes to increase, the other being the B64.

Manhattan

• Highest Increase: M12 (+4.5%)
  • Highest Decrease: M8 (-12.9%)

Queens

• Highest Increase: Q32 (+5.8%)+++ 
  • Highest Decrease: Q26 (-10.1%)

+++One of two Queens routes to increase, the other being the Q48.

Staten Island

• Highest Decrease: S54 (-15.0%)

Express

• Highest Increase: X11/SIM32 (+6.0%)
  • Highest Decrease: X27/37 (-3.0%)

I haven't checked the MTA Bus Company routes yet.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

How bout this. Have you consider that the driver could be under observation or for the fact he or she may be running HOT 🥵.

Sometimes, we have to take account that the driver is getting you to your destination in a safe manner that doesn’t consist of running red lights. We are in a age called Vision Zero. Even bus drivers get slapped for reckless driving violations too. 

[From your friendly commercial driver]

There's also the issue of abysmal traffic, something that route is constantly subjected to...

16 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

How bout this. Have you consider that the driver could be under observation or for the fact he or she may be running HOT 🥵.

Sometimes, we have to take account that the driver is getting you to your destination in a safe manner that doesn’t consist of running red lights. We are in a age called Vision Zero. Even bus drivers get slapped for reckless driving violations too. 

[From your friendly commercial driver]

How in the bloomin' hell can any local bus operator in NYC be running hot or get slapped for reckless driving when the average bus speed can't even get into the double-digits? Especially since @Axis was referring to the Main Street corridor, one of the many 'parking lots' in Queens? I'm taking a big risk in making this assumption, but I don't think the OP was on a slow bus at 2:17 am when deciding to air their grievance -- most likely it was 2:17 PM.

We've all been on buses where the operator isn't even approaching a stale green and decides to poke along, leading to getting caught in the red-light cycle from then on down the road. That is what I think was happening in this incident.

A major problem is that other drivers have no "respect" for the bus. Even though there's been a good generation of Detroiters that have been raised within the car culture (whereas previous generations would primarily rely on the buses to get around), there's still a residual overall respect for the buses within Detroit. DDOT drivers of the 70s-80s-90s were taught (unofficially, but "officially") that the buses owned the roads -- and the public basically followed that thinking as well. Part of the reason was that if your hooptie bit the dust, you knew you'd be relying on the buses to get you around. Plus the fact that you knew you weren't going to win in a bus-and-your-little-car game of chicken.

Even today along some of the busiest Detroit streets, when a DDOT bus is looking like it's going to have to slide through a stale green or late yellow/red light because it's going to pull-into a stop, people cede the roadway. Plus DDOT operators have the police on their side: One time, an operator had the right signal on before going through an intersection (going eastbound) on a late yellow (to pull in for a stop with about 8 people waiting, plus others going to get off). Woman westbound decides to slide through light doing a left turn in front of the bus on that yellow (just missed clipping her ass). We get through the light and into the stop, DPD comes through intersection from the north before a full green, flips overheads on, pulls woman over. We all watch while people boarding finish paying their fare, and you could just tell that chick was not going to have a good day from that point on.

15 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I've piled up some of the stats (with a few notes) for NYCT routes, and as expected, were terrible. There are some rays of hope (like the B24, and the weekend X28). Here are the highest increases and decreases in ridership (percentage-wise):

Weekend Ridership

Bronx

• Highest Increase: Bx6 (+3.4%)^ 
  • Highest Decrease: Bx27 (-14.2%)

^Only Bronx route to have an increase in this category

Brooklyn

• Highest Increase: B32 (+11.4%) 
  • Highest Decrease: B7 (-15.3%)

Manhattan

• Highest Increase: M12 (+9.7%)
  • Highest Decrease: M35 (-18.6%)

Queens

• Highest Increase: Q32 (+2.3%)*** 
  • Highest Decrease: Q55 (-7.9%)

***One of two Queens routes to increase, the other being the Q16.

Staten Island

• Highest Decrease: S76 (-11.1%)

Express

• Highest Increase: X28 (+18.3%)
  • Highest Decrease: X27/37 (-2.7%)

Just singling out weekend figures for a minute, because this is very troubling ... and telling.

Wasn't that long ago (maybe 3-4 years or so), but weekend service was increased -- notably in the Bronx -- because people were packing the buses especially on Saturdays, and it was quite a surprise to the MTA. It's no real surprise that the Bx6 had an increase, but for it to be the only bright-spot shows that in just a few years' time, the MTA has chased those Bronx customers away.

It's probably too soon to tell how Byford's plan to increase off-peak and weekend service has fared (on the B17, B65, Q6 and Q69), but if the Bronx is an indicator, it's not looking like that part of Fast Forward is going to be expanded.

4 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

Just singling out weekend figures for a minute, because this is very troubling ... and telling.

Wasn't that long ago (maybe 3-4 years or so), but weekend service was increased -- notably in the Bronx -- because people were packing the buses especially on Saturdays, and it was quite a surprise to the MTA. It's no real surprise that the Bx6 had an increase, but for it to be the only bright-spot shows that in just a few years' time, the MTA has chased those Bronx customers away.

It's probably too soon to tell how Byford's plan to increase off-peak and weekend service has fared (on the B17, B65, Q6 and Q69), but if the Bronx is an indicator, it's not looking like that part of Fast Forward is going to be expanded.

Or farebeating in the bronx has become worse lol

10 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

29m3uja.jpg

I need a caption for this please 😂😂.  Why must cars try to fight the bus. These cars have no respect for buses. SMH. 

That must be by CUNY City Tech in Downtown Brooklyn. I am quite familiar with the traffic situation along Jay Street since I go to college there (I am currently off from school until late August). A lot of times when coming to/from Namm Building or the new Academic Complex for classes (My non-major classes have always been in the Namm Hall), I have seen cars park in the bus stop area, forcing buses stopping at Tillary Street/Jay Street (in front of the main entrance, which is closed for construction as of this time) to stop Far from the curb. One time, I had to board the bus from the street. Not to mention that during the afternoon hours, there is sometimes a traffic hurdle going from Tillary Street, through the area pictured, all the way to Fulton Street and Livingston Street.

Caption for that photo should be “Downtown Brooklyn Bus Disrespect”.

14 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

29m3uja.jpg

I need a caption for this please 😂😂.  Why must cars try to fight the bus. These cars have no respect for buses. SMH. 

I’m in that area right now! I’m in the 300 Jay Street building. There was tons of traffic on my way there.... Now I see why.

What unit is that and which route was it operating on?

11 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I’m in that area right now! I’m in the 300 Jay Street building. There was tons of traffic on my way there.... Now I see why.

The 300 Jay Street Building is CUNY New York City College of Technology’s main building (City Tech) and as a student who attends the college as a full time student, I can tell you there is always going to be traffic in the afternoon.

FYI, are you also a City Tech student as well?

24 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The 300 Jay Street Building is CUNY New York City College of Technology’s main building (City Tech) and as a student who attends the college as a full time student, I can tell you there is always going to be traffic in the afternoon.

FYI, are you also a City Tech student as well?

I’m taking summer classes in that building; Cyber Security to be exact.

Hopefully the traffic clears up by 2:00 when I hop on the B57 back home.

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

I’m taking summer classes in that building; Cyber Security to be exact.

Hopefully the traffic clears up by 2:00 when I hop on the B57 back home.

That’s cool. I’m majoring in Computer Engineering Technology in the Voorhees building up the block. Is Cyber Security part of the Computer Systems Major? Also a heads up, the new building across the street will have a gym opening up in a few months.

Anyway, we all want traffic to clear up during the afternoon, but I’m my experience, as a student enrolled there full time since Summer 2017, that is usually never the case. The worst offender happens during the 4:00 to 5:00 hour. That’s when the traffic is at its worst. Back when I had an unlimited card for the campuses Accelerated Study In Associates Program (ASAP), which by the way, if enrolled full time in an eligible major, you should take join the program, I rode the bus from Tillary Street to the Fulton Mall either in between classes, or after my last class, and during the afternoon hours, I have seen traffic build up all the way back from Tillary, both ways. I even got stuck on the bus one time heading back to the main building after lunch. It was also like this during the construction of the new building. Between Tillary and Fulton, you’re better off walking. That’s from my experience. However, if you are very luck, they you should be fine.

I'm bored, so I thought it would be a good idea to share my thoughts of every Xcelsior that we have, in order of favorite to least favorite.
2012 XD60s: Started the artic Xcelsior, they sound amazing, and they remind me of the D60's a little bit with the way the transmission sounds like on the Allison buses. The ZFs sound well too. Sad to see them leave the Bronx, plus, they are beat to shit too. 
2016/2017 XN40s: They sound very unique, and usually I'd favor the artic version of these, but these sound way better, and the hydraulics go crazy on these buses too. 
2015 XD60s (ZF): They ride very nice, they are possibly the smoothest sounding Xcelsiors that we have, but they are only in MTA Bus, and there's only 75, so they are usually scarce. They are VERY fast however. 
2019 XD60s: The L9s are some very nice sounding engines, besides that, they are basic, unless if MTA Bus gets ZF 2019's. 
2011 XD40s: Sounds VERY nice, but, just like the 2012 and 2015 XD60s, kinda scarce, since they are only in one borough, or two depots. They ride very nice though.
2017 XD60s: They sadly replaced the LFSAs in Stengel, which broke my heart, but they remind me of Voith transmission buses (personally, I don't like Voiths, but they sound good.)
2018 XN60s: Eh.......they have some loud ass backfires, but besides that, I'd rather have an XN40.
2015 XD40s:.............................................................................................................................................................GET RID OF THEM 
They need work, the general consensus probably agrees that they are the worst performing/preferred Xcelsiors in the city, there are moments though, where they sound nice. 

The bus that got into an accident at Jay Street was 4064.

The bus had VERY minor dents on the side of the vehicle. It looks like it will be fully repaired by the weekend or next week.

Message me on my Instagram (same username) if you want to see the pics I took. I still do not know how to share them on this site.

The NGs HAVC noise is so loud, I don't remember them being like this when they was brand new. 

The A/C units work well though, nice and cool inside this bus.

Also the two OG hybrids I been on the past two days (both 6600s out of ENY) have had great A/C as well.

51 minutes ago, MTAbus677 said:

ATTENTION ALL BUS-FANNERS! It will be super hot this weekend. I wouldn’t recommend doing bus-fanning this weekend!

Actually this is a great weekend to go fanning, especially if you don't have A/C at home like I do. Temperature wise its more comfy to be on public transit than at home. I'm talking rides though not standing outside taking photos of transit vehicles. I look at transit vehicles as mobile cooling centers lol

Edited by trainfan22