BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

15 minutes ago, King Transit said:

Hello Forum users, so one of my YT fanners chatted with me on Discord showing me this pic of a FB XD60 on Flatlands/E 105th St. being parked after pulling away from Pennsylvania Ave. I nearly thought it was a classic XD60 before he mentioned the series of the XD60 and the picture of it. We were asumming it was #6138 being tested on the B82 +SBS. I don't think it's true, and ENY Depot has not finished their modifications yet until next year. Or that can be a school tripper, on FB's ENY routes that is not artic ready. Is it mysterious or is it happening subtlly ?

*Not My Picture*Screenshot_2019-07-25-15-39-41.png

Last year the B35 wasn't supposed to go artic until winter of 2018, but around late august into September it went artic, even though JG depot wasn't "artic ready" it converted the line months before it was supposed to be. I could the same thing happening to ENY, but from the looks of it they are probably doing clearance testing. The B35 went through the same thing I believe a long while before the XN60s came in. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, King Transit said:

Hello Forum users, so one of my YT fanners chatted with me on Discord showing me this pic of a FB XD60 on Flatlands/E 105th St. being parked after pulling away from Pennsylvania Ave. I nearly thought it was a classic XD60 before he mentioned the series of the XD60 and the picture of it. We were asumming it was #6138 being tested on the B82 +SBS. I don't think it's true, and ENY Depot has not finished their modifications yet until next year. Or that can be a school tripper, on FB's ENY routes that is not artic ready. Is it mysterious or is it happening subtlly ?

That's most likely clearance testing... Jackie Gleason had 6110 way before it was "artic ready" for the exact same thing and it shadowed the B35 for a bit.

3 hours ago, King Transit said:

Well, from my perspective, I saw this FB XD60 parked outside Pennsylvania avenue and Seaview avenue, when I saw it pulling away, what I did was ran to Flatlands avenue and East 105th St and almost missed the bus, but luckily I was able to take this picture when I had the chance, my hand was shaking cuz of how excited I was and the camera wasent focusing well so thats why it looked like this, I stopped at Flatlands ave/E 105th st and had like a 30 second brake, which I was assuming it was testing for the B82 +SBS+ when it just stood there, I was planning to run across the street but I would of died :( So I took it from this POV (Point of view) This bus turned on Flatlands Avenue and East 103rd street which the B82/B82 SBS usually turns so that was another reason why I think its a test for the B82 +SBS+.

3 hours ago, King Transit said:

Well, from my perspective, I saw this FB XD60 parked outside Pennsylvania avenue and Seaview avenue, when I saw it pulling away, what I did was ran to Flatlands avenue and East 105th St and almost missed the bus, but luckily I was able to take this picture when I had the chance, my hand was shaking cuz of how excited I was and the camera wasent focusing well so thats why it looked like this, I stopped at Flatlands ave/E 105th st and had like a 30 second brake, which I was assuming it was testing for the B82 +SBS+ when it just stood there, I was planning to run across the street but I would of died :( So I took it from this POV (Point of view) This bus turned on Flatlands Avenue and East 103rd street which the B82/B82 SBS usually turns so that was another reason why I think its a test for the B82 +SBS+.

19 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Since the MTA XE40s don't go any faster than 10mph, I've never checked them out and thought no engine means the bus sounds horrible...turns out TTC proved my case wrong.

Listen to this TTC op haul this SMOOTH sounding XE40, even sounds better than the XDE40s. 

https://youtu.be/JJM_kPyARJI

I've been on one that sounded just like this on the M42 at like 25-30 mph

14 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

I've been on one that sounded just like this on the M42 at like 25-30 mph

Same, I have it on video too on my channel. Not sure what he's going on about with that point. Besides, all you mostly hear are axles. The Siemens system isn't anything special.

Now, if you want a similar bus with even better sounds and such....listen to a couple of XT40 videos. They sound miles better.....

Edited by Cait Sith

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

8727 in service without an OMNY pay point. Why? (If someone came on expecting to use that, what would the B/O say?)

They don't hit OMNY installs til the overnight. It's already flagged to get installed ASAP.

And it's a free ride, btw. I had 8711 with no OMNY. 

5 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

They don't hit OMNY installs til the overnight. It's already flagged to get installed ASAP.

And it's a free ride, btw. I had 8711 with no OMNY. 

Wow...such a "crucial program" to move NYC forward, and through the swap program, having OMNY installed wasn't a priority before putting into revenue service? Imagine.

Besides, who on the Island even cares about OMNY (well, except Express Bus customers)? Those OMNY boxes aren't at the back door anyway.

And paying fare ........ what's that?

/sarcasm

6 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

Wow...such a "crucial program" to move NYC forward, and through the swap program, having OMNY installed wasn't a priority before putting into revenue service? Imagine.

Besides, who on the Island even cares about OMNY (well, except Express Bus customers)? Those OMNY boxes aren't at the back door anyway.

And paying fare ........ what's that?

/sarcasm

They’re transitioning into OMNY which will take a few years and by that point they will be installed on all buses. You can’t expect them to instal an OMNY reader on a bus when most riders still have metro cards. Also Metrocards are still the main payment option so OMNY isn’t a priority when putting a bus into service. Staten Island is just the testing phase for it. 

17 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

They’re transitioning into OMNY which will take a few years and by that point they will be installed on all buses. You can’t expect them to instal an OMNY reader on a bus when most riders still have metro cards. Also Metrocards are still the main payment option so OMNY isn’t a priority when putting a bus into service. Staten Island is just the testing phase for it. 

Just NO. If OMNY was such a PRIORITY for testing/implementation on Staten Island, then EVERY BUS in revenue service should have it. If you have new immigrants to the Island from the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan, then before those buses hit the road, OMNY should be installed and operational.

Sure was a priority to remove the coin acceptors off the Express Buses. Practically before the ink completely dried on the paper passed around the conference table, those were removed and word went out: NO MORE COINS!

You can't completely do your "test" borough-wide (which is one of the purposes to begin with) is you don't have near-100% compliance, and that is maintained throughout.

Everyone seems to be conditioned to just accept half-assed anything from this agency. At least the MTA has excelled at that.

Edited by DetSMART45

42 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

Just NO. If OMNY was such a PRIORITY for testing/implementation on Staten Island, then EVERY BUS in revenue service should have it. If you have new immigrants to the Island from the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan, then before those buses hit the road, OMNY should be installed and operational.

Sure was a priority to remove the coin acceptors off the Express Buses. Practically before the ink completely dried on the paper passed around the conference table, those were removed and word went out: NO MORE COINS!

You can't completely do your "test" borough-wide (which is one of the purposes to begin with) is you don't have near-100% compliance, and that is maintained throughout.

Everyone seems to be conditioned to just accept half-assed anything from this agency. At least the MTA has excelled at that.

It’s still in testing phase my dude. Test means before full implementation. Almost everyone uses metrocards so what is your point? They’re testing it out so why would newer buses have them installed when MAJORITY of New Yorkers use metrocards? 

You’re really taking this too passionately. 

38 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

It’s still in testing phase my dude. Test means before full implementation. Almost everyone uses metrocards so what is your point? They’re testing it out so why would newer buses have them installed when MAJORITY of New Yorkers use metrocards? 

You’re really taking this too passionately. 

Here's quoting TWICE directly from the horse's mouth:

MTA Launches Public Pilot For OMNY Contactless Fare Payment System – First New Payment System In 25 Years

Press Release -- May 31, 2019

The public pilot phase of the rollout brings OMNY contactless payments to all Staten Island MTA buses and at all subway station entrances on the (4)(5)(6)  lines between Grand Central-42 St and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr. Initially, OMNY will support a full-fare, pay-per-ride option until all subway stations and bus routes are equipped with the new technology. 

MTA Leadership and Congressman Max Rose Announce New State-of-the-Art Bus Fleet, Contactless Fare Payment System on Staten Island

Press Release -- June 17, 2019

As part of similar modernization initiatives, the MTA launched a public pilot on May 31 for OMNY, its new contactless fare payment system, to replace the outdated MetroCard technology by 2023. The public pilot included all Staten Island buses, where hundreds of customers are using their own preferred contactless fare payment method to pay fares and speed their entry onto buses without needing to buy a MetroCard or find exact change. Within the first week of the pilot, Staten Island customers using OMNY have far exceeded initial estimates of 800 to 1,500 taps per week.

Yeah, my bad for not understanding MTA officials on how this is supposed to work. <_<

2 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

Here's quoting TWICE directly from the horse's mouth:

MTA Launches Public Pilot For OMNY Contactless Fare Payment System – First New Payment System In 25 Years

Press Release -- May 31, 2019

MTA Leadership and Congressman Max Rose Announce New State-of-the-Art Bus Fleet, Contactless Fare Payment System on Staten Island

Press Release -- June 17, 2019

Yeah, my bad for not understanding MTA officials on how this is supposed to work. <_<

Really? Come on now. Your issue was with one damn bus that didn’t have an OMNY reader on it, and a newly delivered one at that. Again you’re taking this damn seriously, calm down.  

9 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

8727 in service without an OMNY pay point. Why? (If someone came on expecting to use that, what would the B/O say?)

I would hope that's just an instance of a bus slipping through the cracks but given that its the MTA I'm not keeping my hopes up...

Ironically some of the XD60s are coming in with the bases installed already.

5 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Really? Come on now. Your issue was with one damn bus that didn’t have an OMNY reader on it, and a newly delivered one at that. Again you’re taking this damn seriously, calm down.  

In his defense, MTA has hybrids with OMNY bases installed and working, but they decided to mass retire the 63-64xx as priority. Yukon could have kept some of the hybrids with the readers and then when enough buses have the readers installed, then ship them out. This is how I see it anyway. 

7 hours ago, DetSMART45 said:

I honestly don't care if it was on every bus or one solitary bus..... In terms of UAT, I personally don't care for beta testing, myself.... Pre-releasing / half-ass releasing a product for any type of public consumption AFAIC defeats the purpose.... There's just too much volatility in testing something in an uncontrolled environment....

If you, the public, is going to rip (or otherwise critique) my product, it isn't going to be during any developmental phase....