BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

10 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

By the way out of curiosity, I don't know if you have also noticed from your own experience at Transit, but the newer Buses like the Buses delivered between 2015-2017, if you inspect them closely sometimes you may find scratches or dents that occur to them over the tough tenure in NYCT, are these things that happen en-route during an Operator's shift, or are these factored into something else, because Accidents can't really be it, and I've seen insane scratches and dents which do make me wonder.

A lot of the Manhattan ones have dents and scratches from getting sideswiped in Midtown.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/30/2019 at 3:39 PM, Calvin said:

They don't. Only wi-fi on-board. 

Are these articulated buses? Did they run in another Boro prior? I noticed there are less And less buses with “53”. Most start with “61” hopefully all will soon.

7 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Good to receive clarification, cuz I am aware the Operator has to visually Inspect the exterior of the Bus and note any of those things on their OVCR Card, to get it signed afterwards, and I wondered if any of this got addressed over time since the bus repaint cycle was every 4 years until now with this ordeal which will push it to 6, so I was trying to figure out if there's anything in place to address that temporarily until a bus is repainted.

I swear everytime I go thru the wash, I think I'm gonna come out without a mirror. 

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

The rainstorm few hours ago didn't go well at Staten Island. A bus(or more) was flooded around Richmond Terrace. 

I watched a video of one of the 2019 LFS buses (870?) get flooded. Hope the passengers, operator, and the bus itself are in good conditions now.

9 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I thought the order was only going to Mother Clara Hale and Flatbush while Michael J. Quill gets the older 2017 ones from MTA BUS Company.

Originally, yes, except for that last part, those buses were supposedly going to Brooklyn with some going back to Manhattan.

However, Quill needed extra buses to completely send out the rest of the local LFSAs out to The Bronx. The new LFSA order didn't completely wipe them out, and the recent service adjustment to the M14A getting more service and more buses required more buses for the line. The new XD60s put an end to the local articulated fleet.

9 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I guess, MJQ was just lumped into there for the sbs launch of the M14. I'm not sure whats going to happen when the TA get their buses from bus company. 

I feel like I've explained this to you and many others so many times and you still seem to forget why they also got XD60s.

They were ORIGINALLY going to get a small number of XD60s just to completely wipe out the local LFSA fleet, but needed more because of the M14A service increases. It wasn't just because of the M14 SBS launch. If they had just sent out the local LFSAs and not get anything back, they'd be down 18 buses.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Originally, yes, except for that last part, those buses were supposedly going to Brooklyn with some going back to Manhattan.

However, Quill needed extra buses to completely send out the rest of the local LFSAs out to The Bronx. The new LFSA order didn't completely wipe them out, and the recent service adjustment to the M14A getting more service and more buses required more buses for the line. The new XD60s put an end to the local articulated fleet.

I feel like I've explained this to you and many others so many times and you still seem to forget why they also got XD60s.

They were ORIGINALLY going to get a small number of XD60s just to completely wipe out the local LFSA fleet, but needed more because of the M14A service increases. It wasn't just because of the M14 SBS launch. If they had just sent out the local LFSAs and not get anything back, they'd be down 18 buses.

I know that, I was just thinking, also I was answering a question. You see that’s why I said they got them for the sbs launch. I literally said what you just said.

I was on the M14A at 2am in the morning and realistically I wonder how long they are going to keep that very frequent night service up. It seemed that most trips had no more than 3-4 people on them. So I think it’s a matter of time before the MTA realizes this and cuts nighttime M14A service. I feel like most people just wait it out for the (L) instead of taking the M14 to the (J) & (M) trains. Even on the weekends I noticed that a lot of people simply get off at Lorimer Street and wait for the 8th Ave bound (L) . 

4 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was on the M14A at 2am in the morning and realistically I wonder how long they are going to keep that very frequent night service up. It seemed that most trips had no more than 3-4 people on them. So I think it’s a matter of time before the MTA realizes this and cuts nighttime M14A service. I feel like most people just wait it out for the (L) instead of taking the M14 to the (J) & (M) trains. Even on the weekends I noticed that a lot of people simply get off at Lorimer Street and wait for the 8th Ave bound (L) . 

People will utilize the subway over a bus any day. I think the mta thought that since in the original plan many riders were going to displaced due to a full shutdown that they thought they were going to need the same bus treatments for the new plan. Fall is coming so I guess they’ll cut back on it. 

23 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (L) runs at it's normal frequency at night and the service guide says every 60 minutes so I can see hourly M14A service coming back soon.

It is bad for any bus. I mean, the value of those gets ruined. It also increases intense cleaning out of a depot, plus the signs around the floors like "Watch Your Step" gets peeled or scrap faded. Even the electricity will get cut leading to break downs as by the lights on the floors like in the Xcelsiors that have lights either behind the seats even the driver seats(facing wheel wells) gets effected too.

Edited by King Transit

2 hours ago, King Transit said:

It is bad for any bus. I mean, the value of those gets ruined. It also increases intense cleaning out of a depot, plus the signs around the floors like "Watch Your Step" gets peeled or scrap faded. Even the electricity will get cut leading to break downs as by the lights on the floors like in the Xcelsiors that have lights either behind the seats even the driver seats(facing wheel wells) gets effected too.

Well that sucks especially considering it was one of the 2019 LFSs. Man these buses have so much bad luck in Staten Island lol.

On 8/1/2019 at 3:14 AM, Snorunts said:

I watched a video of one of the 2019 LFS buses (870?) get flooded. Hope the passengers, operator, and the bus itself are in good conditions now.

Yepp LFS 8708. 

13 hours ago, King Transit said:

I mean technically it was fine electronically as everything is built up for that reason. They're not gonna have electrical components at the bottom of the bus knowing buses travel through floods. 

They just need to make sure that bus is cleaned up before all that water causes the floor to erode and whatnot. 

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

nehw01.jpgNew wrap promo for Manhattan & Express Bus Divisions including Ulmer Park. 

Too bad the rest of the Brooklyn Division won’t receive these. 

Kinda unnecessary to have wraps like that, but what can I say, I guess it looks okay.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A lot of express bus riders don't like them since they block the entire view.

Ain’t express bus windows already tinted? IJS. I mean for some it shouldn’t be a big deal. I remember years go when NYBS, Liberty, QSC and Command has entire full wraps on their buses. Those buses were a lot harder to see out the window. At least the TA hasn’t gone to extreme measure to have fully wrapped buses. 

Rear wraps need to make a brief comeback tho. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They always go about doing it the wrong way....

I agree. 

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Ain’t express bus windows already tinted? IJS. I mean for some it shouldn’t be a big deal. I remember years go when NYBS, Liberty, QSC and Command has entire full wraps on their buses. Those buses were a lot harder to see out the window. At least the TA hasn’t gone to extreme measure to have fully wrapped buses. 

Rear wraps need to make a brief comeback tho. 

I agree. 

No, they aren't tinted.  I think the signs as they are now are sufficient. No need to block the entire windows with them. There are also adds on the back too.