BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Considering I grew up riding 18-20 year old GMC RTS junkheaps on the old PBLs that were held together with literal duct tape, an Orion VII NG being 9 years old is a complete non-issue to me...

The NGs aged well, I'm glad MTA went with Orion rather than say NABI. Those NJT NABIs are beat to a plup, well the ones at been on at least. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, Future ENY OP said:

I believe some drivers have said 20 MPH. However, anything over 20/25MPH poses hazards. Gotta remember once roads hit blacktop it’s extremely important to maintain safe speed so that chains don’t snap.  @SevenEleven, @EastFlatbushLarry @Flatbush Operator @SoSpectacular @Cait Sith please correct me if I’m wrong with this information. 

Yeah we are told 20 MPH is the max. It's to prevent damage to the chains/tires and road surface

12 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Yeah we are told 20 MPH is the max. It's to prevent damage to the chains/tires and road surface

Saw an op with an XD40 (I'll leave the route/depot out lol) completely destroy the chains the other day after pushing that rule...wouldn't have wanted to explain that road call to the dispatcher... Seems like ~30 is the absolute max, 25 is pushing it, and 20 is what keeps the TA happy.

25 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

I also remembered is concept while watching a video on pre-trip a while back.  Thanks for clarification @SoSpectacular

12 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Saw an op with an XD40 (I'll leave the route/depot out lol) completely destroy the chains the other day after pushing that rule...wouldn't have wanted to explain that road call to the dispatcher... Seems like ~30 is the absolute max, 25 is pushing it, and 20 is what keeps the TA happy.

20 is always best... 25 is OK if there's snow . However, again you don't want the chains to break.  I'll say this to your top portion of the comment. I wonder how that write up would of been.. Couple of days off the road. ha..

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

More like seeing the general superintendent the next day to explain it...

14 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I also remembered is concept while watching a video on pre-trip a while back.  Thanks for clarification @SoSpectacular

20 is always best... 25 is OK if there's snow . However, again you don't want the chains to break.  I'll say this to your top portion of the comment. I wonder how that write up would of been.. Couple of days off the road. ha..

It's a 2 for 1 special. Violation and an accident on your record if there's damage to the bus.

On 2/9/2021 at 7:58 PM, trainfan22 said:

The NGs aged well, I'm glad MTA went with Orion rather than say NABI. Those NJT NABIs are beat to a plup, well the ones at been on at least. 

amen, re: NG's. there were some who attempted to label them as lemons when they first entered the system... those comments didn't age well at all. 

On 2/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, Future ENY OP said:

I believe some drivers have said 20 MPH. However, anything over 20/25MPH poses hazards. Gotta remember once roads hit blacktop it’s extremely important to maintain safe speed so that chains don’t snap.  @SevenEleven, @EastFlatbushLarry @Flatbush Operator @SoSpectacular @Cait Sith please correct me if I’m wrong with this information. 

anywhere I've been, I've always heard 15-20mph. however, as with anything else, other b/o's will do what they want/what they can live with

19 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Two winters ago, I saw a 2011 Nova completely lose its chains, it wasn't snowing yet luckily.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

@SevenEleven is it true that if your on your probation year and you get into ANY type of accident, regardless if your at fault or not, you can get fired?

Negative. I had two accidents, a fight and a window blow out on my bus all in the first year. Wasn't extended or anything. 

10 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Negative. I had two accidents, a fight and a window blow out on my bus all in the first year. Wasn't extended or anything. 

Makes you wonder how those bus drivers get those patches on their blazers/sweaters or whatever, denoting 3 consecutive years without ___________....

.....Hold on, what exactly does it denote? 3 consecutive years without any type of incident at all? without any type of major incident? something else I'm not conveying?

-------------------------------

Be there as it may, it sucks that all it takes is some fools fighting on a bus you happen to be operating (or some other goofy ass act some passenger{s} engage in) for the MTA to have that be some sort of black mark/demerit or whatever on a normally otherwise incident-free driver...... Like you supposedly parked the bus, got up out of your seat, instigated & even referred that fight or something..... Stupid shit.

More power to you & the rest of you guys..... I'll keep repeating it; I could never for the MTA.

10 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

4xs58u.jpg

Class act.

Respect, man.

41 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Makes you wonder how those bus drivers get those patches on their blazers/sweaters or whatever, denoting 3 consecutive years without ___________....

.....Hold on, what exactly does it denote? 3 consecutive years without any type of incident at all? without any type of major incident? something else I'm not conveying?

Be there as it may, it sucks that all it takes is some fools fighting on a bus you happen to be operating (or some other goofy ass act some passenger{s} engage in) for the MTA to have that be some sort of black mark/demerit or whatever on a normally otherwise incident-free driver...... Like you supposedly parked the bus, got up out of your seat, instigated & even referred that fight or something..... Stupid shit.

More power to you & the rest of you guys..... I'll keep repeating it; I could never for the MTA.

3 years with no preventable accidents and 0 incidents, starting from your second year on. So that fight I had to call in, that would have restarted the clock. There are a few incidents I believe that won't count against it. But it's like playing Hold Em with a 7,2 as your hand.

I gave up on trying to get the jacket. Just keep the paperwork away from me.

6 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

3 years with no preventable accidents and 0 incidents, starting from your second year on. So that fight I had to call in, that would have restarted the clock. There are a few incidents I believe that won't count against it. But it's like playing Hold Em with a 7,2 as your hand.

I gave up on trying to get the jacket. Just keep the paperwork away from me.

Sounds lucksacky as shit.... Less of a testament to the skill & safety of a b/o than I thought....

Thanks for the info though.

5 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Gotcha, good looks...just tryna avoid the RBO equivalent of "stolen valor," lmao...

I didn't even look at it that way.... Still :lol::lol: though.....

Edited by B35 via Church
added link... trading card game terminology... my fault.

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Class act.

Respect, man.

Last incident I had to deal with was two customers who got into it because one had her mask down to drink something and the other called her out on it, and it escalated from there, this was back in like September/October. People.

Don't know if it was mentioned here at all before, but the overnight Q102 service appears to be based out of LGA now instead of CP. IDK why CP operated the Q102, but it was interesting to get to see CNG buses in regular service again in the northern parts of western Queens and on Roosevelt Island. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven