BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone? BxM1's that skip Inwood go via the Broadway Bridge.

The BxM1 has gone that way for years. No issues. The BxM2 and BxM18 also go that way when the Deegan is a problem. The only time there was an issue was when a plate from overhead fell from where the (1) train runs and hit a BxM1 going to Riverdale, causing the windshield to be damaged, but that was likely from the vibrations from the overhead subway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I've just noticed, doesn't the Broadway bridge have a height restriction of 10'10? How are (MTA) coach buses allowed to go through?

Just Checked Google Maps street view  and it shows northbound  a 11'- 2" Clearance while the southbound is the 10' - 10" Clearance...

Edited by B22viaAtlanticAv

1 hour ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

Just Checked Google Maps street view  and it shows northbound  a 11'- 2" Clearance while the southbound is the 10' - 10" Clearance...

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The BxM1 has gone that way for years. No issues. The BxM2 and BxM18 also go that way when the Deegan is a problem. The only time there was an issue was when a plate from overhead fell from where the (1) train runs and hit a BxM1 going to Riverdale, causing the windshield to be damaged, but that was likely from the vibrations from the overhead subway.

But arent MCI's 11 foot and 5 inches?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

But arent MCI's 11 foot and 5 inches?

The only vehicles that have been stuck are trucks, and that's because they don't read. There was one stuck by 236th and Broadway under the (1) line, and we frequently hear them slam into the overpass by Henry Hudson Parkway and West 239th. lol

Here's one stuck under the (1) by Broadway W 236th St. lol

134366424_5083804824993336_1519027536201

And another one by me on Henry Hudson Parkway. Seems like we get at least two of them every so many months or more. 

138589837_10159146256251941_431413176890

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

17 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The only vehicles that have been stuck are trucks, and that's because they don't read. There was one stuck by 236th and Broadway under the (1) line, and we frequently hear them slam into the overpass by Henry Hudson Parkway and West 239th. lol

Here's one stuck under the (1) by Broadway W 236th St. lol

134366424_5083804824993336_1519027536201

And another one by me on Henry Hudson Parkway. Seems like we get at least two of them every so many months or more. 

138589837_10159146256251941_431413176890

Jesus Christ...That last photo is a clear example of how Truck drivers dont pay attention...Thats not even a tractor trailer....I once a couple years back had a driver say to me that he ripped down like 5-6 electrics poles in CT cause his truck was to big...And thought it was funny too...

39 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Jesus Christ...That last photo is a clear example of how Truck drivers dont pay attention...Thats not even a tractor trailer....I once a couple years back had a driver say to me that he ripped down like 5-6 electrics poles in CT cause his truck was to big...And thought it was funny too...

Smh.... I'm telling you, in the warmer months here is when it's the worst. Trucks constantly slamming into the overpass because they don't read the clearance signs. Sometimes we get a few in a week.

I rode the SIM8 via NJ last year and there was an big traffic jam at the Lincoln Tunnel Entrance cause an 18 wheeler got stuck in the tunnel, lt looked like PA has an special truck just for pulling out stuck 18 wheelers.

Anyway, today there was an mix of buses with chains and buses that did not have them.. Its kind of fun riding the buses equipped with chains lol

3 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

Does anyone notice, MTA posting map on twitter for bus routes that on detour due snow, accident, etc.

I was about to say this, the MTA just started this map out detours thing on a new MTA Bus Twitter page.

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Anyway, today there was an mix of buses with chains and buses that did not have them.. Its kind of fun riding the buses equipped with chains lol

On snow-covered roads, I'm indifferent to it.... On roads that's already been shoveled/salted (as in, the chains are rolling on the asphalt/street) OTOH, it's the least bit fun to me....

7 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

On snow-covered roads, I'm indifferent to it.... On roads that's already been shoveled/salted (as in, the chains are rolling on the asphalt/street) OTOH, it's the least bit fun to me....

Yeah, chains on plowed roads used to drive me insane on more than a ten-minute ride. Felt like my spine was going to shatter. Noisy, bumpy, and limited to 15-20mph, I forget the exact guideline. Idk how the ops do it, I'd be going crazy hearing that metallic thump all day.

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah, chains on plowed roads used to drive me insane on more than a ten-minute ride. Felt like my spine was going to shatter. Noisy, bumpy, and limited to 15-20mph, I forget the exact guideline. Idk how the ops do it, I'd be going crazy hearing that metallic thump all day.

Maybe since they sit all the way in the front, it is muffled (and the vibrations arent as strong as in the back/middle

35 minutes ago, RandomUserHere said:

I see, what replaced the X10?

You might be referring to the SIM3/33. Typically the type of buses that are SIMs (express routes) are very frequent, but off peak buses are a bit less frequent.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Error on headways, see below posts