BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Sooo I see the LFS HEV are OOS due to those plug door issues. My OCD ass never liked them anyways, I like all doors closing the SAME way. 

Hopefully the design is too flawed that they need to install wide fast response inward opening doors on the whole fleet. 

#bringbackINWARDopeningdoors

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Sooo I see the LFS HEV are OOS due to those plug door issues. My OCD ass never liked them anyways, I like all doors closing the SAME way. 

Hopefully the design is too flawed that they need to install wide fast response inward opening doors on the whole fleet. 

They're staying whether we like it or not. 

Like I said, there's still a matter of what exactly caused the doors to open. There's numerous possibilities.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I never liked the inward opening doors, especially in a crowded bus when there’s a great chance that the door could get jammed and be put out of service. I had too many close calls with those Novas with those rear doors not fully closing.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

They're staying whether we like it or not. 

Like I said, there's still a matter of what exactly caused the doors to open. There's numerous possibilities.

Yeah it can definitely be numerous reasons...but...this ain't the first time. Kingsbridge had their entire fleet OOS for door issues as well a few months ago. It's definitely being talked heavily within the MTA, and that's why they were so quick to pull the entire fleet and they got buses stored in 126st. 

Obviously the MTA is gonna figure out a solution, a door issue is very small. I'm gonna still talk my shit until it's fixed. Changing the door spec is not the cheapest option but it's not completely disqualified. 

8 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I never liked the inward opening doors, especially in a crowded bus when there’s a great chance that the door could get jammed and be put out of service. I had too many close calls with those Novas with those rear doors not fully closing.

100%. The number of times I was squeezed in the back of a packed bus and nearly got body slammed by those stupid doors is more than I can count

52 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

100%. The number of times I was squeezed in the back of a packed bus and nearly got body slammed by those stupid doors is more than I can count

"Please Move Away From The Doors!"

I love seeing people get beat up with them doors, keeps them from being all up against them.

Plug style doors only encourage people to stand right up against it like subway doors, and all you need is for people to start leaning against those doors and you'll have the interlock kick in and cause even more issues.

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

All of my years of riding buses, all agencies not just the MTA, the ONLY time a bus had to be taken OOS due to an mechanical problem was cause one of the rear doors was messed up on those Nova artics. Happened on the BX12 SBS in 2011.

The traditional outward rear doors on the XD40s, Orions, etc are the best ones. 

Edited by trainfan22

11 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

482. Involved in an accident this morning on Eastern Parkway & Kingston Avenue on the B43.  No damage to the bus. However, the struck vehicle wasn’t so lucky.  Bus nearly went into the Bank of America.  

I was looking at the bus in the depot earlier and I was surprised at how little damage was sustained. They'll have it back up and running in no time.

13 minutes ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

Well, we're coming up to November, and the Old Gens are still running in Manhattan (albeit only 11 of them). With more XDEs coming (and the LFS Hybrids coming back soon), for how much longer though?

It’s gonna take a while.  Patience is key. Buses are coming in. There’s something called preventive maintenance which you young kids need to understand. 

While waiting for the BM3 at Emmons Av/Bedford Av, I ended yup getting their new Prevost unit, 1492. The ride was pretty smooth from the Emmons Av bay up to 23rd St in Manhattan. The total passengers after the stop at Church Av/ E 7 St was 1/3 the amount of full capacity. Announces stops picking up and dropping off (Drop off made sense to me since Express pick-ups no one gets off). 

The Express bus ride is different from local buses, sitting in the back: by the middle row, passengers have their laptop in use and ipad getting their work done. While being on local is just sitting or standing till you're at the stop you need. 

Edited by Calvin

59 minutes ago, Calvin said:

While waiting for the BM3 at Emmons Av/Bedford Av, I ended yup getting their new Prevost unit, 1492. The ride was pretty smooth from the Emmons Av bay up to 23rd St in Manhattan. The total passengers after the stop at Church Av/ E 7 St was 1/3 the amount of full capacity. Announces stops picking up and dropping off (Drop off made sense to me since Express pick-ups no one gets off). 

The Express bus ride is different from local buses, sitting in the back: by the middle row, passengers have their laptop in use and ipad getting their work done. While being on local is just sitting or standing till you're at the stop you need. 

Haha, I was JUST about to ask if those Spring Creek Prevosts had hit service yet. This post answers my question. Gonna be weird to see Prevosts in Canarsie.

You wanna know what I truly hate? When bus drivers don't set the fare box correctly and I don't get my transfer. 

Paid $2.75 for the local, paid another $6.75 for the express. 

Shit like that make me wanna go off, don't try to scam me, a**hole. 

And I knew it was the farebox not programmed correctly because the announcements aren't working. 

Another reason to abolish the farebox. 

On 10/25/2021 at 7:02 PM, Cait Sith said:

Yeah....its a mess in Jamaica. The lack of enforcement and signs along the busway doesn't make it any better.

I took a walk over to Sutphin Blvd just to see how things are. I wouldn't say there's more congestion, but there's definitely isn't less. Cars are still going through Jamaica Avenue like if it's any other regular day.

There's hardly any signage at Sutphin Blvd that indicates that Jamaica or Archer Avenue is a busway. There's one regular sized sign at Sutphin/Jamaica showing that only trucks and buses can only go through Jamaica Avenue, but I'm pretty certain that most drivers don't even notice it.

On the Archer Avenue side, there's only one sign that basically says that the best route is to turn right. There's no signs at all indicating that there's a busway.

It's basically just another day in Jamaica. DOT botched this launch hard.

To continue this conversation, I was in Jamaica during the height of the evening rush hour, and along Archer Avenue, I would say stuff is getting better, especially knowing that damn near every MTA Bus route is taking it going towards 165th Street.

Now I know I ain’t tripping, but I saw literally only 1 bus lane sign on the entire corridor, what a way to fumble a launch. But hey, at least the buses move significantly faster heading towards Merrick the entire way.