BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I rode the Q19 for the first time ever, despite being in Astoria all my life. #530 to Flushing and #627 to 31st Street. I wanted to record a Orion V CNG, but one never showed up. It was all C40LFs, so I just recorded one way. The Q19 went quite fast and barely stopped, at least on the way to Flushing. I also found out there's a stop a block away from Citi Field, but only on the Flushing-bound side.

Edited by GojiMet86

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah yeah yeah... I've used the B82 a lot as well along Kings Highway and they were never terrible, but certainly not great either.

I've ridden a few RTSes on the 82 that sounded like they were going through a meat grinder (with complementary bus rattling) when the driver let off the gas and the bus downshifted. Any maintenance shop workers post here? I assume it's the transmission, but for all I know could be something else.

that makes sense like those Staten Island express buses that run through NJ

Does CAS really need MCI 2783??

i mean its the only odd ball, if that was to leave, then CAS would have 2 types of local buses and 2 types of express buses

2783 should go back to YUK and YUK should give CAS one of their 20xx MCIs. or to keep it neat 2783 go to YUK and YUK give cas 2728

That D4500 is basically the same as those 102-whatever the hell they are.

Believe it was overtime shifts and extras, but don't quote me on that. The fact that there were no run numbers made it confusing for everybody, but I don't think anybody was dropping their runs. I know youngblaze had a run out there, so he knows best on that.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Via Garibaldi 8" data-cid="635496" data-time="1358810303"><p>

Yeah yeah yeah... I've used the B82 a lot as well along Kings Highway and they were never terrible, but certainly not great either.</p></blockquote>

Yeah right....those buses ran pretty good.....don't forget about the buses over at fresh pond.....those 9500s look like they been shot to hell

Edited by Armani

I rode the Q19 for the first time ever, despite being in Astoria all my life. #530 to Flushing and #627 to 31st Street. I wanted to record a Orion V CNG, but one never showed up. It was all C40LFs, so I just recorded one way. The Q19 went quite fast and barely stopped, at least on the way to Flushing. I also found out there's a stop a block away from Citi Field, but only on the Flushing-bound side.

Yup, Despite the fact more service was added, that's why usage gradually shot up on the Q19 after the extension to flushing.... People realize that it was a quick ride to the [astoria blvd] subway (over taking Q66's to northern blvd. subway)..... quite a bit of folks also use it to xfer to the 49 towards 74th st bus terminal.... To sum it up, the 19 is much quicker than the 66 for the purpose of getting to their respective subway stations..... and basically, the Q19 is a lot more useful now than it used to be when it had erratic service when it terminated w/ the 19b (now 49).....

As for a stop around citifield, I know the westbound 66 makes a stop over in the 120's, but I'm not sure if that's a shared stop w/ the Q19.....

funny enough, you might have a better chance of getting an o5 cng on the far rock lines. Today and yesterday I saw an o5 on the q35.

since it got in the debate about eny.

just curious who operated the bus bridge after sandy? was it drivers on their rdo for over time or other drivers(as in they decided to step off their runs and help) 

A fair amount were doing OT, but the amount of operators out there from the extra list was plentiful.

Edited by youngblaze

Is it possible to rearrange the seating in the rear section of the OG VIIs, to the 2nd/3rd Gen rear seating arrangment? Is there any TA out there that have perimeter seating (or inward facing seats, instead of the forward facing seats) in the OG buses, back section?

Edited by FlyerD901

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FlyerD901" data-cid="635737" data-time="1358864772"><p>

Is it possible to rearrange the seating in the rear section of the OG VIIs, to the 2nd/3rd Gen rear seating arrangment? Is there any TA out there that have perimeter seating (or inward facing seats, instead of the forward facing seats) in the OG buses, back section?</p></blockquote>

No because of the age of the bus, and theres nothing wrong with it.

The Older OrionVII OGs have two rows of foward facing seats, with a side.bench on each side,

now

the newer Orion VII OG buses have the U shaped seating,

Which is facing sideways in the rear.

the Orion VII NG(2nd Generation) also has the U shaped seating.

Now the Orion VII 3G(3rd Generation) has all foward facing seats like on N.I.C.E out in Long Island.

Now about TAs having perimeter seating aka U shaped seating...yes the MTA has those, the 67xx-69xx Orion VII OGs are like that, as well as some other agencies.

oh really, i didnt think it would take that long.

Cait also mentioned that there were underlying issues with BusTime itself, but even so they usually don't install the hardware right away and it's best to write to them and inform them so that they get on top of it.  It could be because Bus Time is an in-house set up, otherwise I don't see why they can't have the manufacturer install the hardware for the them so that it's already installed when they deliver the buses.  I would imagine they don't have a large team for this though.

Hmmm, somethings fishy with Bustime

I don't see any new

MCI D4500CT in staten Island (22xx...

XD60 Xcelsiors in bronx (47xx...

and Nova LFSA in Bronx (53xx....

Only buses out of this pack rigged for BusTime are 2251, 2300, 4710 and 5310, all of which are at their depots, as of posting. (With the exception of 2251 - Vendor Trip)

Edited by SevenEleven