BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

For some reason, 9525 has a front destination sign from a '99 RTS. Whole I was waiting for the B62, the sign caught my attention first cuz I know Grand dont have any of those RTSs. Then it got closer and I saw the number and it said 9525.

And the sign is still messed up...you lagging Blitz lame

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of you run for buses?

How do you kill time between waits for buses?

I ask this for a reason, and to basically state what happened today.....

Ok, so dude was sleeping at a particular bus stop - and when the bus he so needed pulled into & out of the stop w/o him, all of a sudden dude woke up in a rage & starts screaming like a lunatic.... After (me) informing this guy what bus it was, he darts off like a madman.... Long story short, the b/o stopped the bus - due to this idiot running clear across traffic & clear across the front of said bus.... if I was the driver of that bus, I wouldn't have let him board.....

I aint risking my life to catch no bus, I'm sorry.... and the last place I can doze off at, is at a bus stop, regardless of locale

Edited by B35 via Church

For some reason, 9525 has a front destination sign from a '99 RTS. Whole I was waiting for the B62, the sign caught my attention first cuz I know Grand dont have any of those RTSs. Then it got closer and I saw the number and it said 9525.

And the sign is still messed up...you lagging Blitz lame

I think 9382(?) also has the same type of destination sign.

What's funny is that 5165 took a step back, it has a 1996/97 destination sign lol.

Do any of you run for buses?

How do you kill time between waits for buses?

I ask this for a reason, and to basically state what happened today.....

Ok, so dude was sleeping at a particular bus stop - and when the bus he so needed pulled into & out of the stop w/o him, all of a sudden dude woke up in a rage & starts screaming like a lunatic.... After (me) informing this guy what bus it was, he darts off like a madman.... Long story short, the b/o stopped the bus - due to this idiot running clear across traffic & clear across the front of said bus.... if I was the driver of that bus, I wouldn't have let him board.....

I aint risking my life to catch no bus, I'm sorry.... and the last place I can doze off at, is at a bus stop, regardless of locale

One time I saw a guy dash down Broadway for a X27/28 (can't remember) between two of the stops. It was below 14th, where the stops aren't together. To my amazement, he caught up with the bus. Only time that I can remember running for a bus was last month when I needed the Q17 at Hillside & 179th. Ran down to 183rd and made it, only because the red lights went up on Hillside. Usually I don't run for a bus but when time is of the essence, gotta move.

Main streets there reminded me of Pitkin in Brownsville, that kinda feel -- only part of SI that really reminds me of the rest of NYC, honestly. Ended up catching an S52 (great ride) back to St. George, had to grab a ferry cause I'm sure not paying for two expresses in a day haha! Interesting experience, anyway.

I'm surprised that's the only area that reminded you of the rest of NYC. I could think of a few other areas (West Brighton by Castleton & Broadway, New Brighton on Jersey Street (which you would've passed by on the S52), and the northern part of Port Richmond Avenue) that have that same grittiness as Stapleton. And then there's non-hood areas like West Brighton by Castleton & Bard, and then New Dorp. Not to mention St. George itself.

Anyway, you got pics? ;)

I'm surprised that's the only area that reminded you of the rest of NYC. I could think of a few other areas (West Brighton by Castleton & Broadway, New Brighton on Jersey Street (which you would've passed by on the S52), and the northern part of Port Richmond Avenue) that have that same grittiness as Stapleton. And then there's non-hood areas like West Brighton by Castleton & Bard, and then New Dorp. Not to mention St. George itself.

Anyway, you got pics? ;)

St. George for some reason feels totally foreign to me, don't know why. But yeah, I guess there're other spots with that same feeling (Tompkins as a whole feels like the industrial end of Steinway St. to me, etc.), just the similarity to Pitkin in stretches of Stapleton really hit me. Some pics coming up, didn't get that many as I left the night lens at home and it got dark fast on me so there wasn't much presentable. A few from Rosebank during the day coming up though.

--

Aside, stealing Bill's photo from the FB group, I find this hilarious:

184695_10151347756279578_1659349880_n.jp

Slipping, dmouse... ;)

Edited by MHV9218

St. George for some reason feels totally foreign to me, don't know why. But yeah, I guess there're other spots with that same feeling (Tompkins as a whole feels like the industrial end of Steinway St. to me, etc.), just the similarity to Pitkin in stretches of Stapleton really hit me. Some pics coming up, didn't get that many as I left the night lens at home and it got dark fast on me so there wasn't much presentable. A few from Rosebank during the day coming up though.

--

Aside, stealing Bill's photo from the FB group, I find this hilarious:

184695_10151347756279578_1659349880_n.jp

Slipping, dmouse... ;)

What the f**k is this shit? :lol:

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fresh Pond" data-cid="634768" data-time="1358657589"><p>

For some reason, 9525 has a front destination sign from a '99 RTS. Whole I was waiting for the B62, the sign caught my attention first cuz I know Grand dont have any of those RTSs. Then it got closer and I saw the number and it said 9525.<br />

<br />

And the sign is still messed up...you lagging Blitz lame</p></blockquote>

Depot maintenance and CMF are completely separated. And at the same time, destination signs are handled by a completely different department (C.E.S if I remember correctly). If an engine blows up after it comes back from ICO, or a complete swap, then u might be able to blame me lol.

So I had to be in SI today, took the first express bus of my life. Got 2439 out of Yukon, have to say, those things really move. The change that really got me was the sheer acceleration of those things, they get moving incredibly quickly and of a sudden you're doing 40 in traffic, 65 on the highway. Ride was quick, easy, pleasant. [Now, whether or not we need so many expresses is another issue, but I'll ignore that for now.] Had nothing but ex-QV 3Gs on the SI locals I rode, those ops really know how to move around down there. Lots of graffiti on those buses though, didn't look so good. Farebeating wasn't so hot either.

Spent much of the day in Stapleton, have to say, that place doesn't seem like it's getting better. Didn't feel dangerous or anything, just a lot of abandoned buildings, some of those side streets definitely seemed rough as well (specially with me going around with the camera on me). Main streets there reminded me of Pitkin in Brownsville, that kinda feel -- only part of SI that really reminds me of the rest of NYC, honestly. Ended up catching an S52 (great ride) back to St. George, had to grab a ferry cause I'm sure not paying for two expresses in a day haha! Interesting experience, anyway.

lol... Funny that you would go to one of the dumpiest areas of Staten Island... A lot of the coastal areas on the North Shore are especially ghetto.  The South Shore and Mid Island have the pill poppers and dealers, but aside from that is usually far safer, though some areas of the North Shore are fairly safe and affluent as well.

Lol, imagine that was sent to FP? I bet a certain subchatter would go ballistic seeing that there. :)

@B35, I would only run for the Q35 at the Target/av H stop as it takes 15 min b.w buses and the B41 is still inconsistent for me to rely solely on. A few times I ran for the B41 nb on kings highway, but not to the extent I would kill myself. More like a sprinting run to hopefully catch the bus before the doors closed.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Nah, seems someone dropped some black paint on it.

I believe that's oil or some kind of fluid that leaked from the engine.

Did 8810 come from an MTA bus Depot.

Probably a LGA RTS, can't imagine a QV RTS looking like that, unless it broke down out in service and that engine fluid started leaking out.

remember that kill switch that the news was talking about on the D60s. 

what did they mean? i ' see any switches or stuff on them that kids can mess with 

It's a shutoff switch that's located in the rear near the fuel tank/engine, All buses in the MTA fleet are equipped with them.

It's a shutoff switch that's located in the rear near the fuel tank/engine, All buses in the MTA fleet are equipped with them.

ooohh that thing on the outside? 

mann the way the news was saying it, i thought it was inside the bus

yeahh i see those all over the prevost and Orion VII 3Gs in staten island it says

"Main Power Disconnect Switch"