MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m surprised the Orion VII OG’s are still alive and kicking at QV. I thought QV’s batch would have been gone by now seeing how the rest of NYCT’s batch has been retired so quickly. I have not been able to catch an Orion VII OG on one of QV’s routes in a while but I usually see them the most during rush hours. 
Any word on the Novabus’s that we are suppose to get starting with bus 8755? 

Delivery is supposed to start between this month and next month.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/9/2022 at 9:06 PM, Calvin said:

With the Next Gens being moved to MTA Bus courtesy of upcoming Novas and New Flyers, are the 2008-09 Next Gens (3800-3959) still in the process of being transferred or retired soon? 3888 is the highest of the 3800-3959 batch at MTA Bus. 

All OGs across the system will be retired by the end of the year. 3800-3959 will also be retired by the end of the year.

A total of 339 NGs in the 3960-4630 (as it states 2009 and 4631-4702 are 2010) are to be moved to MTA Bus by end of year. 

24 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

The sticker stuff is getting goofy. 6193 has a WF sticker now.

Also, some of the 75xx buses still have the original covid P/R code reading FARE REQUIRED. Sort of a throwback. Wonder if any buses have the even older ESSENTIAL WORKERS - MASKS REQUIRED readout.

I didn't expect them to keep the covid P/R code on the 75xx's. 

I also figured that the sticker situation is rather a joke. Another unit that had this gag is 5869. That unit has a WF sticker as well. I don't know how many buses have the wrong stickers on them, but so far with 6193, that makes it 4 buses I counted that had different stickers, then the depot it is assigned to.

Edited by RSMG106

44 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

The sticker stuff is getting goofy. 6193 has a WF sticker now.

Also, some of the 75xx buses still have the original covid P/R code reading FARE REQUIRED. Sort of a throwback. Wonder if any buses have the even older ESSENTIAL WORKERS - MASKS REQUIRED readout.

I wonder if the other units had that reading deleted since boarding the bus with fare is the usual procedure. I remember that was pulled out to let local/limited passengers know that riding the bus isn't free of charge anymore. 

22 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

I also figured that the sticker situation is rather a joke. Another unit that had this gag is 5869. That unit has a WF sticker as well. I don't know how many buses have the wrong stickers on them, but so far with 6193, that makes it 4 buses I counted that had different stickers, then the depot it is assigned to.

Some stickers probably wasn't seen at that time. 4594 still has the MHV logo after its stay there due to the HEV problems, Flatbush loaned that one as a helping hand. 

On 2/15/2022 at 11:40 PM, RSMG106 said:

I'm pretty sure they deleted that code on the vast majority of buses to make it MASK REQUIRED only, but my guess is that the 75xx buses with the different signs aren't updated as often. Kind of like how the TwinVision RTSes kept prehistoric codes for years and years (M14 via Ave A, M14 via Ave C etc.).

On 2/16/2022 at 12:03 AM, Calvin said:

Some stickers probably wasn't seen at that time. 4594 still has the MHV logo after its stay there due to the HEV problems, Flatbush loaned that one as a helping hand. 

Yeah although that bus was actually in service. The MQ stickers I think are just people playing around.

The new RFP is out for up to 1,729 buses.

https://new.mta.info/document/76796

1,042 Standard 40-foot buses

345 Articulated 60-foot buses

342 Express coaches

485 Electric low floor buses (460 for NYCT, 25 for MTA Bus)

From a Facebook post:

952 buses for NYCT

155 CNG buses
375 Standard 40-foot buses
245 Articulated diesel 60-foot buses
90 Articulated electric 60-foot buses
92 Express coaches

777 buses for MTA Bus
289 Diesel buses
25 Electric buses
213 CNG buses
250 Express coaches

We will also be testing 10 more electric buses. 5 express buses (most likely D45 electrics) and 5 local buses (most likely to be LFS electrics)

UMZonk2.png

37 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

If you combine  the current mta bus express busses being  delivered and the pending order. There would  be 508 new express which replaces 474 buses . It would seem like an over order?

Not everything has to be direct replacement. Could be a couple dozen that would be used for service and/or spare increases 

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

4 hours ago, limitednyc said:

If you combine  the current mta bus express busses being  delivered and the pending order. There would  be 508 new express which replaces 474 buses . It would seem like an over order?

The D4500CLs are not the only buses being replaced. The D4500CTs at Spring Creek are also being replaced. Plus, the first set of prevosts (1300-1556) also contributed to the replacement of about 20 or so older D4500s, so when you do the math, 508 buses sounds just about right.