MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

So I guess you just forgot about the congestion along Fulton Street at rush hour? 

Routing the SBS along Rogers alleviates that issue somewhat.

Doesn't mean anything when you miss ridership generators. Straight routes are not always the answer. They could have also looked at routing buses via Atlantic, Bergen or Empire to get from New York Avenue to Bedford/Rogers Avenue, but that's another discussion.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

My point is they have (had) no intention of providing service to Kings County Hospital on the northbound B/44 sbs.

The change could have been (northbound) via Rogers, Linden Boulevard, New York Avenue, Empire Boulevard and back to Rogers Avenue when the route was first implemented.  This would have provided the service to the hospital in the northbound direction but this change did not fit in with their agenda as the northbound route would not be a straight route. How many times h the the TA changed straight routes to provide for detours to schools for example? It is this desire not to deviate once the route is done that is etched in stone by those in the offices that makes me furious as it states quite emphatically to those of us who ride the routes that "that they know everything and we know nothing" so in other words "keep quiet as we will determine what the route will look like".

Unfortunately, it is this type of thinking that is prevalent in all levels of government and in the minds of the political elite today. It is only going to get worse in the future.

24 minutes ago, East New York said:

It's not about Gleason being on it because they are. The schedule has ALWAYS been Winter Pick for B35 articulation with a possibility of a soft launch happening in the fall. The depot will not be completely artic ready until December, and we have discussed this several times actually. It has also been posted on the first page of the Fleet & Depots thread for at least 8 months now. 

When everything is ready, Gleason will be sending XN40's and possibly a few C40LF's to WF, and they will in turn send over the XN60's. The assignment may change a bit.

Many had also been asking what was up with ENY. The schedule has always been Summer Pick 2020 for artic conversion. Reconstruction of the depot does not even begin until January 2019. Right now engineering is in the final design stage for the new layout and rehab of the depot. 

I guess the question is: Why did the MTA decide to publicly announce the conversion, not only before the Bx6 conversion, but also that it would happen fully in the Fall?

For those that don't know what I meant by MTA publicly announcing, I mean the NYC Transit Committee meeting every month. The 35 was announced two months prior for a Fall implementation, the 6 announced last month with I believe an immediate implementation.

Hopefully, the answer to that will be enough to take this topic back to moves and transfers.

Edited by Rick44

3 hours ago, Rick44 said:

I guess the question is: Why did the MTA decide to publicly announce the conversion, not only before the Bx6 conversion, but also that it would happen fully in the Fall?

For those that don't know what I meant by MTA publicly announcing, I mean the NYC Transit Committee meeting every month. The 35 was announced two months prior for a Fall implementation, the 6 announced last month with I believe an immediate implementation.

Hopefully, the answer to that will be enough to take this topic back to moves and transfers.

If you're talking about the Bx6 local route its supposed to convert in January 2019 while the Bx6 sbs was converted directly following the arrival of the buses. But at that time the assignments were different. West Farms was supposed to get their artics for the Bx6 sbs and then the buses were to go to Gleason for the B35 for the fall pick or something. So the Bx6 sbs was always supposed to go straight to artic while the B35 on the other hand wasn't supposed to be converted until late 2018.

Now if the fear is the MTA is just going to change up its mind and convert the Bx6 and leave the B35 as it is then yes it is some concern but thats the MTA. 

7 hours ago, Rick44 said:

This is like comparing apples to oranges though. These are two situations that are in no way similar, so I guess I'm not sure what the confusion is exactly.

It was publicly announced by MTA because it's now the time for it. We announced it here at NYCTF long before that. The implementation schedule has always been tentatively planned for Fall, with the depot being at full articulated standard by December.

West Farms is already an artic depot so no planning was needed for this route. Gleason is not artic ready so you can't just send 60 footers to the depot. The buses that are there now (at JG) are for clearance, maneuvering, depot redesign, and parking design.  

For West Farms, all that was needed was a simple paddle adjustment, and bus swap. We also announced here last year that the Bx6 would start with standards and after the line was evaluated for artics the next decision could be made. 

Either was this is not a Moves & Transfers discussion. This is a general discussion about a specific fleet and the depots that are in question. So this needs to go back over there to be continued.

On 8/6/2018 at 7:41 PM, Interested Rider said:

The MTA  has had a fixation about using Rogers Avenue even though as ENY operator correctly pointed out, New York Avenue was (and is) a far better option.

New York Avenue has Kings County Hospital which is a major traffic generator as the walk from Rogers Avenue is two long blocks and that is in addition to the additional walking just to reach some of the hospital buildings. I attended the suits presentation at Brooklyn College before the B/44 sbs  was placed in operation and wrote and spoke in favor of a stop at the hospital but like everything else  with the exception of adding two additional bus stops for the B/44 sbs,  my suggestion landed up in the long file.

New York Avenue is definitely not a better option.  As someone who lived in Flatbush on New York Avenue, I posted years ago that a B44+ would not work on NY Ave, and I suggested the implementation of the route on Rodgers, with a B44 Northbound Limited that would continue to run on NY Av. and end at Fulton Street.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:08 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Doesn't mean anything when you miss ridership generators. Straight routes are not always the answer. They could have also looked at routing buses via Atlantic, Bergen or Empire to get from New York Avenue to Bedford/Rogers Avenue, but that's another discussion.

None of that is efficient though. Tons of alternatives were suggested but we here in Brooklyn have a MAJOR problem will double parked cars and dollar cabs and vans. As someone who has personally driven buses on all these streets in question I can tell you it's not as easy as it sounds. 

On 8/7/2018 at 7:07 AM, Interested Rider said:

My point is they have (had) no intention of providing service to Kings County Hospital on the northbound B/44 sbs.

The change could have been (northbound) via Rogers, Linden Boulevard, New York Avenue, Empire Boulevard and back to Rogers Avenue when the route was first implemented.  This would have provided the service to the hospital in the northbound direction but this change did not fit in with their agenda as the northbound route would not be a straight route. How many times h the the TA changed straight routes to provide for detours to schools for example? It is this desire not to deviate once the route is done that is etched in stone by those in the offices that makes me furious as it states quite emphatically to those of us who ride the routes that "that they know everything and we know nothing" so in other words "keep quiet as we will determine what the route will look like".

Unfortunately, it is this type of thinking that is prevalent in all levels of government and in the minds of the political elite today. It is only going to get worse in the future.

This has nothing to do with it being a straight route or anything like that. MTA would rather have the route on New York Avenue, however that is just not efficient and the route would not be reliable at all. 

3 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

If you're talking about the Bx6 local route its supposed to convert in January 2019 while the Bx6 sbs was converted directly following the arrival of the buses. But at that time the assignments were different. West Farms was supposed to get their artics for the Bx6 sbs and then the buses were to go to Gleason for the B35 for the fall pick or something. So the Bx6 sbs was always supposed to go straight to artic while the B35 on the other hand wasn't supposed to be converted until late 2018.

Now if the fear is the MTA is just going to change up its mind and convert the Bx6 and leave the B35 as it is then yes it is some concern but thats the MTA. 

He was referring to the Select, and I actually answered it in the Moves and transfers, but I will be moving it here eventually.

33 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

How many standards is Gleason losing? Is it a one for one swap? The board meeting where they announced the B35 artic conversion gave the impression that the standards from the B35 would be used to increase service on the B8 and B63...

I can't remember how many they are loosing, but a swap between artics and standards is never one for one. the ratio is 3:2 (every 3 standards being replaced by 2 artics). Yes there will be increases, however some buses will still be sent to WF to kill off the Orions as JG will have a small surplus.

And contrary to popular belief, weekday service will only be reduced by 1 minute. Night and weekend service will be reduced 2-4 minutes depending on time and day.

On 8/3/2011 at 10:03 PM, East New York said:

(MTA) Bus Operations is the surface transit division of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (New York), created in 2008 to consolidate all bus operations operated by the MTA. The  fleet consists of more than 5,900 buses of various types and models for fixed-route service, providing service in New York City, the western edge of Nassau County and the city of Yonkers. Bus Operations is not currently publicly used as a brand.

The NYC Transit Forums Fleet & Depots home page is updated on a regular basis, and serves and the main information page for Department of Buses operations.  

(MTA) Bus Operations is currently in the process of merging it's branding, operations, radio and farebox systems. The combined branding has been introduced, and will continue moving forward with all new buses which will share a common unified MTA New York City Transit & Bus brand, that no longer sports NYC Bus or MTA Bus titles.

The current public brands are (MTA) New York City Bus, and (MTA) Bus. The merged ops branding is simply (MTA) .

MTA Bus Company headquarters and command will also be merged with that of NYC Bus and relocated from College Point Depot to the all new state-of-the-art Bus Command Center at East New York Depot, which serves MTA Surface Transit Headquarters. (See more details at the bottom of this title post)

Official (MTA) website

The TTMG Insiders Guide (Fleet and Depot Roster) is a comprehensive depot-by-depot fleet guide that is the maintained by MTA personnel, and is accurate at the date and time posted (save any typos or human error). Public updates are released regularly. Please remember that buses are transferred, loaned, and borrowed on an as needed basis. Reference the MTA Bus Moves & Transfers Thread for daily updates, and interim fleet information.

Official MTA Fleet roster at TTMG

Last Fleet & Depots Update 8/10/18

Local & Express Bus Fleets

Current Procurement 2017-2020, for bus deliveries through 2021

Section 1.)  Awards, Pending orders, and delivery progress.

10 Standard Electric Buses. NYCT leased through December 2020 for test and evaluation purposes. (Upon Completion of the test program, MTA will purchase 45 production electric buses to begin the transition into an all-electric fleet by 2040)

-5 New Flyer XE40 Standard Electric Buses at Mike Quill Depot (Manhattan Division)

-5 Proterra BE40 Standard Electric Buses at Grand Avenue Depot (Brooklyn Division)

139 New Flyer XD60 Articulated Buses NYCT/MTAB (Delivery complete)

138 New Flyer XN40 Standard CNG Buses NYCT (Delivery Compete)

92 NovaBus LFSA Articulated Buses NYCT (Delivery in progress)

110 New Flyer XN60 CNG Articulated Buses NYCT (Delivery in progress)

618 Standard 40 foot Bus option buses NYCT (Split manufacturer award - New Flyer delivery in progress, and Nova pilot testing in progress) 251 LFS options, 367 XD40 options for TA.

10 New Flyer XDE40 Standard Hybrid-Electric Buses NYCT (Production Pilot Awarded - 5 Allison units, 5 BAE units) Allison pilot testing in progress, with BAE pilot delivery now pending.)

161 New Flyer XD60 Articulated Bus options for NYCT/MTAB (Options awarded, TA pilot delivered, Bus Co pilot delivery scheduled for April 2019) 108 options for TA and 53 options for BC.

15 New Flyer Articulated XE60 Buses for NYCT (Award expected by February 2019)

72 NovaBus LFSA Articulated Bus options NYCT (Awarded and scheduled to be delivered directly following the base order with no pilot buses being required. All buses scheduled for delivery by March 2019)

45 Standard 40 foot Zero Emissions Electric Buses for NYCT (Award expected by June 2019)

275 Standard 40 foot Hybrid-Electric Buses for NYCT (Award expected by October 2019)

307 OTR 45 foot Express Buses (257 for MTAB to be awarded by May 2019 , 50 for NYCT to be awarded by August 2019)

25 Standard 40 foot Diesel Buses for MTABC. (Pending Change to Hybrid-Electric buses for award by January 2021)

*********************************************************************************************************

The following information comes from "East New York", "The Real", and “SevenEleven” via MTA Bus Operations.

*********************************************************************************************************

Section 2.) New confirmed, and projected fleet numbers, delivery depot assignments, and additional fleet details. (Includes test and demo buses)

The New 45 foot Express Bus Test & Evaluation Program. (More details coming soon)

2018 AD Double Decker #0022 (30-day Testing & Evaluation Complete)

2018 MCI D45 CRT LE #0023 ( 90-day Testing & Evaluation Underway)

The Standard 40 foot electric bus alternative energy Test & Evaluation pilot. 0011-0020 (NYCT).

Lease Group A.) New Flyer XE40 "Xcelsior CHARGE" Standard Electric Low Floor 

0011-0015 (05) Mike Quill 

Lease Group B.) Proterra BE40 "Catalyst" Standard Electric Low Floor  

0016-0020 (05) Grand Avenue 

New Flyer XD60 "Xcelsior" Low Floor Articulated (Most of the base order assignments are temporary pending delivery of option buses for both NYCT, and MTABC, as well as the subsequent return of loaned buses to NYCT) 

5987-6286 (NYCT) & (MTA) 

5987-5994, 6044-6092 even (33) LaGuardia 

5995-6029, 6083-6093 odd, 6094, 6095, 6097 (44) Casey Stengel

6030-6042 even, 6110-6124 even (15) John F. Kennedy

6031, 6096, 6098-6100, 6102-6109, 6111, 6113, 6115, 6117, 6119, 6123, 6125 (21) Mike Quill

6033-6081 odd (25) Tuskegee (100th St)

6101 (1) Grand Avenue

options for TA(108) and BC(53)

6126-6233 (108) 51 for Clara Hale(146 St) M15+, 57 for Flatbush B44+,  B46+ implementation

6234-6286 (53) 43 for Q52+/Q53+ @ LaGuardia, JFK, and Far Rockaway Depots. 10 for service expansion.

New Flyer XN40 "Xcelsior" Low Floor CNG (Delivery complete)

673-810 (NYCT)

673-741 (69) West Farms

742-810 (69) Jackie Gleason

NovaBus TL-62102A Low Floor Articulated (Base order delivery in progress. Option order pending. All buses being delivered in SBS scheme with the exception of 5567-5602)

5439-5530 (NYCT)

5439-5467 (29) Mike Quill

5468-5482 (15) Gun Hill

5483-5530 (48) Mike Quill

options 

5531-5566 (36) Gun Hill for Bx12+/Bx41+

5567-5602 (36) Mike Quill for (L) Train Shuttle

New Flyer XN60 "Xcelsior" Low Floor CNG Articulated (Delivery in progress, assignments revised)

1000-1109 (NYCT) 

1000-1015 (16) West Farms

1016-1053 (38) Jackie Gleason

1054-1109 (56) West Farms

New Flyer XD40 "Xcelsior" Low Floor (Options Awarded - Delivery underway for NYCT and to begin 2019 for MTA Bus.) Note assignments for buses 7755-7850 are temporary and for the (L) Train Shuttle, and will eventually be reassigned. Also note the assignments have been modified, yet may not reflect the final delivery of all the buses. This is however the expected assignment for the new buses. Only ENY, JA, and FB depots are confirmed at this time.

7484-7875 (NYCT) & (MTA) 

7484-7544 (61) Jamaica 

7545-7587 (43) Mike Quill expected

7588-7615 (28) TBA - Fresh Pond and Grand Avenue expected

7616-7662 (47) Flatbush

7663-7702 (40) East New York

7703-7714 (12) TBA - Grand Avenue expected

7715-7754 (40) Ulmer Park

7755-7762 (8) Jackie Gleason (L) Train

7763-7850 (88) *Depot assignments to be anounced* (L) Train

***This is part of the 618 Standard 40 Foot option order (See above for details)***

7851-7875 (pending 25) MTA Bus

NovaBus TL-40102A Low Floor (Pilot testing underway)

8504-8754 (251) (NYCT) 

Depot assignments are now pending for the LFS option order. These buses will be for Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island Divisions. Expected depots will be 

***This is part of the 618 Standard 40 Foot option order

New Flyer XDE40 "Xcelsior" Low Floor Diesel-Electric Hybrid (Awarded - 5 Allison units, 5 BAE units) The first Test and Evaluation buses have arrived. Note Grand Avenue depot was selected for initial test and evaluation as that depot now serves as Bus Operations Engineering Headquarters. These buses will serve as Test & Evaluation pilot models that will be used to decide the configuration for the confirmed future order of 275 hybrid buses. Please Note this could be a split award between New Flyer and Nova.

9500-9509 (10) Grand Avenue

9500-9504 feature the new Allison H 40 EP Hybrid system.

9505-9509 feature the new BAE HDS200 Series-E HybriDrive which is the successor to what we currently have on the Orion VII hybrids.

Projected follow up order fleet numbers:

9510-9784 (275) (NYCT) 

Notice: Dates of award, delivery schedule, depot assignments, fleet numbers and all technical details subject to change without notice. All information will be updated accordingly.

Upcoming New Bus Delivery Expectancy Months: (update delivery schedule coming soon)

August 2018:

17 New Flyer XN60s (13 to WF, 4 to JG for B35)

1 New Flyer XDE40 (1 to GA)

27 New Flyer XD40s (1 to FB, 8 to FP, 18 to JA)

September 2018:

13 New Flyer XN60s (5 to WF, 8 to JG for B35)

3 New Flyer XDE40 (3 to GA)

15 New Flyer XD40s (4 to FP, 11 to GA)

October 2018:

10 New Flyer XN60s (8 to WF, 2 to JG for B35)

1 New Flyer XDE40 (1 to GA)

18 New Flyer XD40s (13 to UP, 1 to JG, 4 to MQ)

November 2018:

18 New Flyer XN60s (8 to WF, 10 to JG for B35)

22 New Flyer XD40s (11 to MQ, 7 to JG, 4 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

December 2018:

18 New Flyer XN60s (18 to WF)

20 New Flyer XD40s (6 to MQ, 14 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

January 2019:

3 New Flyer XN60s (3 to WF)

12 New Flyer XD40s (12 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

February 2019:

30 New Flyer XD40s (30 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

March 2019:

33 New Flyer XD40s (5 to JA, 28 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

April 2019:

44 New Flyer XD40s (15 to JA, 17 to EN, 12 to UP)

May 2019:

37 New Flyer XD40s (10 to JA, 10 to MQ, 8 to FP, 9 to GA)

June 2019:

27 New Flyer XD40s (9 to JA, 8 to MQ, 10 to UP)

July 2019:

8 New Flyer XD40s (3 to MQ, 5 to UP)

Preliminary Upcoming Moves, Purchases & Retirements until FY2022...

MTA Bus

-Transfer Twenty-Four (24) 2004-05 DaimlerChrysler Orion 07.501 Gen-II Hybrids by 2019 from NYCB.

-Transfer Thirty-Three (33) 2006 DaimlerChrysler Orion 07.501 Gen-II+ Hybrids by 2020 from NYCB.

-Order 25 New 40-foot Buses for 2021 delivery.

-Order 53 New 60-foot Buses for 2019-2020 delivery.

-Order 257 New 45-foot Commuter Buses for 2021 delivery, with the first 174 arriving in 2020.

-Retire all 1996 Nova Bus Model T80206 RTSs by the end of 2018

-Retire all 2002 MCI D4500 Commuter Coaches by the end of 2020

-Retire all 2004 MCI D4500CL Commuter Coaches by the end of 2020.

-Retire Two Hundred-Thirty Seven (237) 2005 MCI D4500CL Commuter Coaches by the end of 2020, with 154-units going by the end of 2019.

NYC Bus

-Order 275 New 40-Foot Hybrid Buses for 2021 delivery, with the first 77 arriving in 2020.

-Order 45 New 40-Foot Electric Buses for 2021 delivery, with the first 6 arriving in 2020.

-Order 50 New 45-foot Commuter Buses for 2020 delivery.

-Order 15 New 60-Foot Articulated Alternative fuel Buses for 2020-2021 delivery.

-Retire last 2 1997-98 and all 1998-99 Nova Bus Model T80206 RTS by the end of 2019.

-Retire all 2002-04 DaimlerChrysler Orion 07.501 Gen-I Hybrids by the end of 2019.

-Retire all 2003-04 DaimlerChrysler Orion 07.501 Gen-II CNGs by early 2019.

-Retire all 2005 DaimlerChrysler Orion 07.501 Gen-II Hybrids by 2020, with the first 158 retired by the end of 2019.

-Retire all 2006 DaimlerChrysler Orion 07.501 Gen-II+ Hybrids by 2020.

-Retire all 2007 DaimlerChrysler Orion 07.501 Gen-II+ Hybrids by 2021, with the first 75 retired by the end of 2020.

-Retire all 2008 Daimler Orion 07.501 Next Generation/Gen-III Hybrids by the end of 2022, with the first 158 retired by the end of 2021.

-Retire all 2002-03 New Flyer Galaxy Articulated's (D60HF) by mid-2019.

-Retire all 2002 MCI D4500 Commuter Coaches by the end of 2020.

-Retire all 2007 MCI D4500CL Commuter Coaches by the end of 2022, with the first 28 retired by the end of 2020.

For more in-depth details about the current bus fleet, please reference the TTMG MTA Bus Fleet Summary.

Depots (Major Projects Only)

*East New York - MTA Surface Transit Headquarters- Currently in the final stages of exterior construction, the brand new state-of-the-art facility for the merged bus operations of NYCTA and MTABC. The new building will be located and constructed at the East New York Bus Depot site, which currently serves as MTA's Surface Transit Operations Headquarters. This facility will feature brand new bus dispatch capabilities which will be merged with MTABC, as all buses across the fleet will have their radios replaced for one common system. This will begin the much awaited official merger of New York City Transit's TA and OA divisions with that of MTA Bus Company. All buses will also have their fare-boxes replaced for units that will be common to both Transit and Bus Co.

In addition to the new command center being scheduled for full operations by Summer 2020 , ENY depot is currently being modified to house and maintain articulated buses. The depot is scheduled to be artic ready by June 2020 as well.

MTA expects all NYCT and MTAB systems (Radios, Fareboxes, Command) to be merged completely by January 2021 when the new unified radio system is scheduled to go online. 

**See photos of the new command center below. Updated photos of the newly complete building coming soon.

*Jackie Gleason - In an ongoing effort to increase capacity along the heaviest used bus lines, Gleason has begun modification for articulated bus operations. As of now, the B35 line is scheduled to be converted to articulated ops in late 2018.

*Jamaica - Construction of the new Jamaica Depot is now in the final phase of planning. These discussions include the finalization of the design, the acquisition site preparation, and the overall logistics of the new depot. The official project completion date is now expected for 2020 even though it is currently behind schedule. The existing depot will be demolished, and a new expanded building will be replaced in the current location along with newly purchased property adjacent to lot in order to facilitate expansion, and articulated bus operations. Preliminary plans for for the closing of the depot to be "transitional," so service will not be interrupted in any type of major ways. Final depot design is behind schedule and now expected to begin Summer 2019.

*Manhattanville - Preliminary reports now show MTA will soon begin the planning for upgrades of the Manhattanville Depot in the West Harlem section of Manhattan also known as Manhattanville. These upgrades will make it the "greenest" depot in New York City. In short, the depot will be transformed into a state-of-the-are High Energy Efficient Facility. Additional details coming soon. The project is expected to be complete in the Spring of 2020.

Older posts in this thread are subject to removal in order to keep this thread condensed at all times.

34ED6594-B305-4F27-A5E3-8228D5D369AB.jpeg

B987CC5E-079E-4E41-A63D-9901B8187319.jpeg

New Command Center photos courtesy of ENY.

Quotinga certain section on mobile with this big post was annoying, but what happened to the 10 (diesel electric?) artic buses for the M14 SBS?

I appreciate the update, but the one thing that I couldn't find that I was looking for, is a delivery schedule for the 2018 Nova LFSs. I know depot assignments are still pending, but you see how you have the preliminary upcoming moves etc?, you have examples like "first 77 expected in 2020". Is there anything like that for info regarding the Novas? That order seems so hidden and delayed for some reason. 

Why is Manhattanville getting the new Nova LFS? I thought the MTA was trying to uniform the fleet. Would’ve been better to give Yukon and Castleton the new Novas to get all the Orions off the island, and give Manhattanville whatever 4000s/7000s they need since they already have Orions...

That would’ve been smart since whatever they’re getting now I would assume is temporary until the next batch of hybrids come in. 

Edit: Same thing for QV...there’s enough Orions on Staten Island to replace both QV and Manhattanvilles batches of the first gen hybrids. 

Edit 2: I just checked the roster, Staten Island has exactly 71 MCI express buses, and UP has 71 Prevost. Why not just give UP all the MCIs and let Staten Island be all Prevost? Fleet would balance out better since UP would have 2013 models as well. They can easily uniform the fleet if they wanted to. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Please let those 3G buses stay at CAS for the rest of their service life's, I hate the seating configuration on the HF portion of those buses, I rarely ride CAS routes so out of sight, out of mind 😀 I wish the 3G had the seat layout of the later model OG and NG hybrids, that's the best layout IMO.

30 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Why is Manhattanville getting the new Nova LFS? I thought the MTA was trying to uniform the fleet. Would’ve been better to give Yukon and Castleton the new Novas to get all the Orions off the island, and give Manhattanville whatever 4000s/7000s they need since they already have Orions...

That would’ve been smart since whatever they’re getting now I would assume is temporary until the next batch of hybrids come in.

Actually 251 buses is just enough to replace the Orions at Manhattanville and Queens Village and make Staten Island all LFS (61+61+90+39=251)

Just now, MysteriousBtrain said:

For everything asking why LFS are assigned to MHV:

It's because we need to replace all these old ass buses asap.

It's probably easier to replace buses directly instead of moving around a bunch of other crap to accommodate the new buses.

I understand now. I was hoping to have the buses go to non-Manhattan depots so that way, Staten Island will be 98% LFS, the 2003 Orion VII hybrids at Queens Village will be directly replaced, and the 2003 OG Hybrids at Manhattan could be replaced by the many displaced 2009 A123Systems Automotive Class Lithium Ion™ Battery Equipped Orion VII Next Generation Hybrid buses from the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island's Yukon Depot. Also, it will help Manhattanville replace their buses, while at the same time, keeping with the demands of Harlem residents of having clean buses at depots near their houses.

Will this move be temporary as well?

Also, how long do the batteries on our hybrid buses last?

Let’s clear some stuff up. We haven’t got into the discussion yet, because I have been a bit busy, but the Hybrid order is no longer certain to be New Flyer. 

Nova actually has a chance to get in and it may end up being a split award. The only reason MTA didn’t test Nova Hybrids is because of the price point. 

9500-9509 are test buses for the Hybrid systems. Nova has always had a chance, but they have to make the offer and delivery timeline comparable to that of New Flyer as MTA needed buses faster than not. 

If Nova has a pricing point similar to New Flyer this time around, there is now a great chance that we will get hybrids from both companies. The only question will be which system. Allison or BAE. 

So for everyone who is asking, that is why Novas are over there, and also because they need buses for maintenance rotation. Let’s also not forget that they have the original hybrids which require a bit more maintenance, and are now up for retirement. 

I would also expect to see a New Flyer or two head over to MV within the next 10 months as well. 

If the award is split, they are going to have to decide what goes where. Since MV doesn’t have either Nova or New Flyer buses, they are a great candidate for Nova hybrids. 

The last point everyone keeps forgetting (and I have mentioned several times) is hybrids are being replaced by Diesels, electrics, and new hybrids down the line. In the meanwhile the ones that are up for retirement have to be replaced with diesels. There are too many hybrids and the new ones won’t be in for quite a while. Some assignments will definitely change when the hybrids and electrics come in. 

6 minutes ago, East New York said:

Let’s clear some stuff up. We haven’t got into the discussion yet, because I have been a bit busy, but the Hybrid order is no longer certain to be New Flyer. 

Nova actually has a chance to get in and it may end up being a split award. The only reason MTA didn’t test Nova Hybrids is because of the price point. 

9500-9509 are test buses for the Hybrid systems. Nova has always had a chance, but they have to make the offer and delivery timeline comparable to that of New Flyer as MTA needed buses faster than not. 

If Nova has a pricing point similar to New Flyer this time around, there is now a great chance that we will get hybrids from both companies. The only question will be which system. Allison or BAE. 

So for everyone who is asking, that is why Novas are over there, and also because they need buses for maintenance rotation. Let’s also not forget that they have the original hybrids which require a bit more maintenance, and are now up for retirement. 

I would also expect to see a New Flyer or two head over to MV within the next 10 months as well. 

If the award is split, they are going to have to decide what goes where. Since MV doesn’t have either Nova or New Flyer buses, they are a great candidate for Nova hybrids. 

The last point everyone keeps forgetting (and I have mentioned several times) is hybrids are being replaced by Diesels, electrics, and new hybrids down the line. In the meanwhile the ones that are up for retirement have to be replaced with diesels. There are too many hybrids and the new ones won’t be in for quite a while. Some assignments will definitely change when the hybrids and electrics come in. 

By a New Flyer or two heading to manhattanville within 10 months do you mean XD40?

1 hour ago, East New York said:

It’s gonna be interesting when Novas come to MV, be a direct competition between who’s Novas or NFs are faster between MV & MQ