The Millennium RTS Discussion

East New York

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't Millennium thinking about doing an articulated RTS a while back?

It's been tossed around, but that's about all. I wouldn't expect to see an offering like until at least 2018 if it ever saw the light of day.

I personally think the RTS are past their prime. They just dont seem like a bus of the 2010s to me. But thats just my opinion.

Quite a few transit agencies seem to think it was the best bus they ever had, and the best money could buy. Even the ones who cancelled orders. But that's just their opinions.

I can agree with the design being past it's prime, (excluding the Legend) but nothing lasts longer than an RTS. All the Millennium buses are coming up on their scheduled midlife major overhauls. Funny thing is none of them need to be overhauled

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Update: The MTA/MTS meeting on my birthday went fairly well. When I get back on the forums this weekend I will provide an update. :cool:

No need for anyone to email, call, PM or IM me. You will just have to wait. B)

Sorry to bug you, whats the update?

Also are the buses going to be CNG, diesel, or hybrid?

MTS doesn't offer a hybrid model yet, but it was confirmed early on all buses were diesel. Plus all of our CNG depots already got their new buses, plus 74 more from Orion coming right up. As much as I would like to ride one, I'm sorry to say there's no CNG RTSs coming to NYC Transit anytime soon.

Oh damn.... I thought I already posted the update. I'll get on that tonight.

All BTE buses are diesel. The only exceptions were the DesignLine buses, and the New Flyer DE60LFR's.

MTS doesn't offer a hybrid model yet, but it was confirmed early on all buses were diesel. Plus all of our CNG depots already got their new buses, plus 74 more from Orion coming right up. As much as I would like to ride one, I'm sorry to say there's no CNG RTSs coming to NYC Transit anytime soon.

Actually, MTS lists offerings on their website for diesel, CNG, and hybrid configurations.

I personally think the RTS are past their prime. They just dont seem like a bus of the 2010s to me. But thats just my opinion.

Lol be careful...a lot of people may decide to come after you with pitchforks because you said that!!!

But either way, I agree 100% with what you said. I mean, good for MTS if the order goes through, but new RTS' in the 21st century seems out of place.

The MTS team met with the MTA last month for the first time to discuss the RTS and its entry into BTE. The meeting went very well, and MTS remains committed to reintroducing the bus to market with New York City, and other select cities as it's proving grounds.

MTS has been informed of exactly what MTA will require for the new RTS to enter the program, and they working hard to provide a bus that will meet the demands of NYC. They are currently working on the final touches of the second proposal for the MTA.

Now that the hard part is behind them, MTA has said their part, and it's all up to MTS to put the final pieces of the puzzle together, and deliver the demo.

For all those that say the design looks dated, the redesigned RTS is expected to be introduced on the low floor. This design will carry over to the high floor as well.

Preliminary specs proposed for the high floor BTE program are as follows:

90 42.5 Foot 1 door Express Coaches

Cummins EPA10 ISL-9

Allison B400R

Thermo King Atenia roof mount HVAC

4One Suburban Highback Seating

120 Volt Outlets (pending)

Hanover OL Series LED destination signs

Electronic Fan Drive

Enhanced Engine Cooling Package

Very cool when will they meet again and when will the final decision come?

Amazing news!!!! Any idea when this will be happening?

There is no set date for anything as of right now. Terms, conditions and specs will have to be finalized. I would imagine sometime in the next 90 days we will know exactly whats going on.

East New York question. Are these RTS buses from MTS being given a designation like the older RTS buses? Example: T8J-204, T8J-604, etc....

*Preliminary, and subject to change*

There are 32 foot through 42 foot models.

T42-209 high floor express (RTS-09)

T - Transit

42 - length

2 - 102 in. Width

09 - series designation for high floors

T42-210 low floor BRT - series 10 (RTS-10)

Series -11 high floor redesign

Series -12 low floor redesign

If they do get these buses, I most likely want to see them from LGA and MJQ

LMAO!!! That's funny! For one, LGA is a BC depot, not TA, and even if it was, DOB would not DARE send a new RTS to LaGuardia. However, the low floors are more than a year off anyway, so MJQ would not even be a thought until darn near 2013.

Just thinking of MJQ and RTSes, how tall are these buses? Reason I ask is the TA has a problem on their hands with the M66/M72 since all the Orions are too tall for the overpass, only thing that fits there is an RTS or I'd think an LFS, so the TA is gonna have to do some thinking relatively soon about just what MJQ is gonna run. I get the feeling they (cough, Bloomberg) aren't gonna love the Manhattan headquarters running 15, 16, 17 y/o buses on the streets. They sure pushed 14 y/o buses out of MHV as fast as they could, and they're trying at 126. Wonder what the plan is for Quill.

That's what the whole BTE process is all about, to figure out what will replace the legendary RTS for the next 10 to 15 years...

Just thinking of MJQ and RTSes, how tall are these buses? Reason I ask is the TA has a problem on their hands with the M66/M72 since all the Orions are too tall for the overpass, only thing that fits there is an RTS or I'd think an LFS, so the TA is gonna have to do some thinking relatively soon about just what MJQ is gonna run. I get the feeling they (cough, Bloomberg) aren't gonna love the Manhattan headquarters running 15, 16, 17 y/o buses on the streets. They sure pushed 14 y/o buses out of MHV as fast as they could, and they're trying at 126. Wonder what the plan is for Quill.

Not true because the posted height restriction is actually lower than what it really is because I drove a Prevost through there which is 11'8

Just thinking of MJQ and RTSes, how tall are these buses? Reason I ask is the TA has a problem on their hands with the M66/M72 since all the Orions are too tall for the overpass,

Supposedly.....

BUT!

If these and the NGs can go through, that kinda makes the argument null and void imo.

Archived