FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

Well I'm going to be railfanning the (D) Train via 8th Avenue on March 1st 2012 to get videos/pics of this.:cool:

Fastrack (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6) = Done

Fastrack (A)(cool.png© (D)(E)(F)(M)(Q) = Next tongue.png

....And any future ones too. I'm not gonna focus on just a single line of course wink.png! But happy hunting!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another option, with the (E) to 2 Av:

Local: (F)(M)(E)

Express: (cool.png(D)(A)

Certainly possible, but I think the consensus here is that for reasons I don't understand, the MTA avoids using the switches north of W 4th at all costs.

Plus, the (A) would need to move to the local tracks at some point before the (M) leaves anyway in order to access the Rutgers St. Tunnels.

Certainly possible, but I think the consensus here is that for reasons I don't understand, the MTA avoids using the switches north of W 4th at all costs.

Plus, the (A) would need to move to the local tracks at some point before the (M) leaves anyway in order to access the Rutgers St. Tunnels.

Going from 3 to 1 at West 4 involves wheel detectors that start about 1/2 a mile away. Having an overspeed there (even though its the T/O's fault) is not a good look at all.

I know that my 1st FASTRACK prediction was a little bit wrong, and my second one might be the same, so here is the one that will be affecting the (A)© (E) Train lines between 59th St-Columbus Circle or 5th Av-53rd St and W 4th St-Washington Square in 3 different ways from 10:00 PM Monday March 12th-5:00 AM Friday March 16th:

- (A) Trains run via the (cool.png and (D) Lines between 59th St-Columbus Circle and W 4th St-Washington Square, then runs local between W 4th St-Washington Square and Canal St in both directions.

-© Train service ends early (last train to Euclid Av leaves 168th St at 9:32 PM and last train to 168th St leaves Euclid Av at 9:19 PM).

- (E) Trains run via the (M) Line between 5th Av-53rd St and W 4th St-Washington Square in both directions.

Oh, I almost forgot one more important thing, (A) Trains will also be making local stops along the © Train Line in both directions and 2 different sections:

1. Between 168th and Canal Sts, Manhattan (will run local via the (cool.png, (D), and (F) lines between 59th and W 4th Sts.)

2. Between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts and Euclid Av, Brooklyn.

The 1st (A) Local Train to Queens will now leave Inwood-207th St at 9:33 PM, the 1st 2 (A) Local Trains to Manhattan will now leave Far Rockaway-Mott Av at 8:57 PM and Ozone Park-Lefferts Blvd at 9:30 PM. My bad.ohmy.png

Oh, I almost forgot one more important thing, (A) Trains will also be making local stops along the © Train Line in both directions and 2 different sections:

1. Between 168th and Canal Sts, Manhattan (will run local via the (cool.png, (D), and (F) lines between 59th and W 4th Sts.)

2. Between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts and Euclid Av, Brooklyn.

The 1st (A) Local Train to Queens will now leave Inwood-207th St at 9:33 PM, the 1st 2 (A) Local Trains to Manhattan will now leave Far Rockaway-Mott Av at 8:57 PM and Ozone Park-Lefferts Blvd at 9:30 PM. My bad.ohmy.png

uh there's one little Glitch. 8th Avenue is supposed to be suspended between 59th Street And Jay Street not West 4th Street.

With what was mentioned about service being suspended to Jay Street from 59th in mind, here's how I would handle it:

1. (E) is suspended. (M) runs all night and replaces the (E) via 53rd Street tunnel and Queens Boulevard running its normal route, though extended to Parsons-Archer.

2. (A) runs normal to 59th street, then via the (D) to West 4th and then the (F) to Jay Street before resuming regular route.

3. © runs normal schedule and also runs via the (D) and (F) to end of normal service.

4. (cool.png ends early.

With what was mentioned about service being suspended to Jay Street from 59th in mind, here's how I would handle it:

1. (E) is suspended. (M) runs all night and replaces the (E) via 53rd Street tunnel and Queens Boulevard running its normal route, though extended to Parsons-Archer.

2. (A) runs normal to 59th street, then via the (D) to West 4th and then the (F) to Jay Street before resuming regular route.

3. © runs normal schedule and also runs via the (D) and (F) to end of normal service.

4. (cool.png ends early.

See. Now your brain is a lot better in THIS, compared to all the crap about sending the © to Culver and yadayada in other posts.

Thats better! THIS only!

But you know how the (MTA) is with its plan. Some of them are plain stupid. Like the (Q) to Whitehall instead of sending that joint to Astoria to replace those UNNEEDED (N) shuttles.

I would of also had the (D) extend to 21st Street, Astoria or 42nd Street, instead of it ending at Whitehall. To ENABLE a DIRECT connection to the (D) at 42nd Street instead of the (A) and/or (F) at Jay St to the (D) at W4th Street.

In theory it works, its just I guess they didnt want to have the (D) go end to end up the Broadway, while a different (D) almost end to end on 8AV, it would confuse people somewhat. As a buff who sleeps eats and drinks these ideas its difficult to put urself in the mind of normal directionally challenged folk.

In an unrelated note I don't think any of the non-overnight services will ever be allowed to run its course (since most everybody in their reroute plans have most of not all the ©(cool.png(M) finishing their regular service), because the last few trains are layups on either end anyway (very true with both the ©(cool.png and most of the (M)'s as well). Its easy to just cancel these trains as long as their evenly done on the other end. Its called ABD for "balance" (T/D term).

Regarding 6th Ave FastTrack when is the first (Q) going to or coming back from Queensbridge? Because I would love to be on the first revenue service train that runs on SAS tongue.png

® trains have already used that connection many times in the past. Nothing new.

If you want, you could of course stand at 57 St and wait for the first train that says 'This is a Queens bound Q train via the F line'.

® trains have already used that connection many times in the past. Nothing new.

If you want, you could of course stand at 57 St and wait for the first train that says 'This is a Queens bound Q train via the F line'.

Not to mention the (Q) during the 1995 Manhattan Bridge closure, and the yellow (S) in 1998.

In an unrelated note I don't think any of the non-overnight services will ever be allowed to run its course (since most everybody in their reroute plans have most of not all the ©(cool.png(M) finishing their regular service), because the last few trains are layups on either end anyway (very true with both the ©(cool.png and most of the (M)'s as well). Its easy to just cancel these trains as long as their evenly done on the other end. Its called ABD for "balance" (T/D term).

Even some overnight services are suspended (like the (3))

Well since its comming up tomorrow night (or rather tonight for you non-hawk people lol), here's basically what you're gonna be seeing along 8 Av...

Taken from 2 different G.Os (if memory serves me right, I was "slightly drunk" for one of them wink.png lol). All 3 videos done by me

It must be you. Or the website with ads/media around. Here ill post the article:

The MTA’s Fastrack closures inconvenience thousands of passengers. At a monthly NYC MTA Transit Committee meeting Monday, Board member Andrew Albert complained that during the last FastTrack, some Number 3 subway line riders endured interruptions even though crews did no maintenance there. “Why was it necessary to completely suspend the number three line, relegating those passengers on the Upper Lenox line to second class status and have to ride buses?” asked Albert.

In response, New York City Transit Chief Thomas Prendergast said he’d consider changing the program so that lines will be shut down only where the work is being completed.

The MTA said shutting down entire lines for maintenance will save $10-million in labor costs this year, because more work is completed in a shorter amount of time.

Meantime, the shutdowns continue: beginning tonight, portions of the Sixth Avenue Subway line will be shut down from 10 pm to 5 am for the next four consecutive nights, so that repairs and track maintenance can be completed uninterrupted.

As part of the shutdown, there will be no service on the B, D, F and M lines from West Fourth Street to 57th Street in Manhattan. D trains will run via the 8th Avenue line between Columbus Avenue and West Fourth Street. In Brooklyn, D trains will operate between Coney Island and 6th street, and via the R line between 36th Street in Brooklyn to Whitehall Street in Lower Manhattan.

F trains will operate via the E line between Roosevelt Avenue in Queens and West Fourth Street in Manhattan, in both directions. The Q train will be extended from 57th Street in Manhattan to 21st Street Queensbridge in Queens.

Also at Monday’s meeting, New York Police Department Transit Bureau Chief Joseph Fox released last year’s crime statistics. Fox told the Board that total major felonies increased 29.5 percent from January 2011 and January 2012. He said the majority of those increases come from electronic theft crimes, like “iPods and iPhones.”

The NYPD reported that there were no murders or rapes on the subway system in either year.

MTA Board Member: Overnight Shutdowns Too Broad (And More are On the Way) | Transportation Nation

Maybe he wanted (3) service from 34th Street to 148th Street, since there are a lot of co-ops there. He does not realize that when something happens on the West side IRT, the (3) always gets cut since that is a "supplemental" line to the (2).

The thing is the (3) was cut, because there are way to many trains backed up north of 42nd Street heading to Penn. It takes a few mins to relay at 34th Street, not seconds. WITH the (1) as well.

I had to wait nearly 10min for my (2) train to get out of TSQ heading to 34th Street the first day.

IF (3) service shall run, I would just have ONE (3) train running as a shuttle from 148th Street to 135th Street, no need to use the M track at 135th.

The Fastrack 7th Avenue ain't over, its gonna come back soon. I'm just wondering whats the plan for next time.

Yesterday, there was a G/O with the (2)s wrong railing between 96th and 110th. Had to wait 40min just to wait for two downtown (2)s to pass, for my Uptown train to go. Imagine the (3) running, that would be hell.

Guest lance25

The reason the (3) was cut during the 7th Avenue FasTrack is the same reason the (5) was truncated early on Lexington Avenue and the (cool.png and (M) on Sixth Avenue - having all these supplemental lines running creates a mess on the rails and delays the entire line even more. Especially when the line in question will terminate at or near the same place the others are terminating at. Imagine having the (1) and (2) turning at 34 St-Penn Station and the (3) at Times Square. It'd be a logistical nightmare since they all still have to turn on one of the middle tracks.

Sure, you can get creative and run a shortened (3) through 96 St, but you'll run into the same problem with delays though. You've just moved them from the Times Square area to the 96 St/Lenox Avenue area.

Yes, it's an inconvenience to have to take alternative transportation to get to and from 135 St/Lenox Av. Unfortunately, the track configuration doesn't allow for much else.

Another option, with the (E) to 2 Av:

Local: (F)(M)(E)

Express: (cool.png(D)(A)

(A) has to switch to the local to get to Rutgers.

What about turning the (3) at 135? Wasteful, but appeasing.

Hint #1 for the (A)© (E) FASTRACK is posted: the (M) ends early and the notes imply that the (E) is going to 2 Av.

I'm thinking © & (M) ending Early

(A) 6th Ave Local South of 34th St.

(cool.png Not really in the way. so may run till normal time.

(D) Normal

(E) To 2nd Ave.

(F) Normal.

Dumb question guys. During this fasttrack shutdown of the 6th Ave line by having the (A)(F)(D) and (E) between West 4th and 42nd-PABT not cause chaos with a conga line even with 20 minute headways overnights? They are all sharing the 8th Ave local tracks. Unless of course the (A) is running express during this overnight period as well.(IMO it should and have the (D) run local between 145th and West 4th)