IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING; An Observation

CDTA

Note: Now while this could've been put in the random thoughts thread, I think a discussion can emerge from this.

So, I was on the (L) this afternoon, and I saw this one person who was sitting. On one side of him was a backpack, and on the other was a box of cigarettes. Well, at 6th Ave, he gets off, without the bag or cigarettes. At the next stop, me, along with two women, go and alert the conductor. One thing I was surprised about tough, was how the C/R handled it. She mainly just handed the task onto the next C/R, both of which didn't really do anything. (I left after about 45 seconds, so something might've happened after that) (Also, just another side note, the person who left the bag was not of middle eastern decent either)

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Note: Now while this could've been put in the random thoughts thread, I think a discussion can emerge from this.

So, I was on the (L) this afternoon, and I saw this one person who was sitting. On one side of him was a backpack, and on the other was a box of cigarettes. Well, at 6th Ave, he gets off, without the bag or cigarettes. At the next stop, me, along with two women, go and alert the conductor. One thing I was surprised about tough, was how the C/R handled it. She mainly just handed the task onto the next C/R, both of which didn't really do anything. (I left after about 45 seconds, so something might've happened after that) (Also, just another side note, the person who left the bag was not of middle eastern decent either)

No offense, but that was ultra stupid of you to say....

What I find about the NJT versions of the ads, is that they subliminally encourage people to profile based on their prejudices. What's to say that your abnormal isn't someone's normal.

This is why I would never report anything... that's how innocent people's lives get ruined.

And also, I don't think he meant to be racist with that statement, I think he was attempting to state that it wouldn't matter what ethnicity they were, but did it in a poor way.

Did anybody tell him he left behind his bag? At least that might've made him realize that he didn't go unnoticed. (Then again, if he was actually intent on causing harm, his backup plan might've been worse). But I guess if nothing happened after 45 minutes, it was probably nothing.

Nope. He just got off the train, and nobody said anything,

What I find about the NJT versions of the ads, is that they subliminally encourage people to profile based on their prejudices. What's to say that your abnormal isn't someone's normal.

This is why I would never report anything... that's how innocent people's lives get ruined.

And also, I don't think he meant to be racist with that statement, I think he was attempting to state that it wouldn't matter what ethnicity they were, but did it in a poor way.

Thank you, Threxx, this is what I was going for. Forgive me if I phrased it wrong, but I knew someone asked, had I not mentioned it, and yes, I was trying to show that race didn't play a role in this case.

I'm sorry to say, but do you think you would find a Black, White or Hispanic, planting bombs on trains?

Really man? You too? So I'm assuming with your theory, all middle eastern people are terrorists right? There are crazy people all around the world, don't single a certain race out.

Some people on this forum man...makes me wonder.

CDTA, after your answer, I'll take back my comment. In any case you shouldn't have mentioned it at all. And if someone did mention or ask if the person was middle eastern, then we you already know what I'll say.

Are you referring to the radio ads, where there's a lady saying "that weird guy has his hands in his pockets and is looking around nervously..."

If so, that has nothing to do with any race or prejudices. Those descriptions come from a list complied by the Israeli army on how to identify the behaviors of a suicide bomber. Those behaviors are things anyone, of any descent, would display before detonating a bomb, etc. I agree that it's a poor quality commercial, though, since no new yorker talks like that.

Are you referring to the radio ads, where there's a lady saying "that weird guy has his hands in his pockets and is looking around nervously..."

If so, that has nothing to do with any race or prejudices. Those descriptions come from a list complied by the Israeli army on how to identify the behaviors of a suicide bomber. Those behaviors are things anyone, of any descent, would display before detonating a bomb, etc. I agree that it's a poor quality commercial, though, since no new yorker talks like that.

But people act like that all the time. People can be stressed about anything. That's the point.

But people act like that all the time. People can be stressed about anything. That's the point.

The idea is that there are, I believe, 12 signs of extreme nervousness. Even a really stressed person will do 2, maybe 3 of them. But normal stressed people do not keep their hands inside of a winter jacket in mid-August in the subway and look around nervously. If you see that, it's a situation to call police. It might not be a terrorist, but it might be a homeless person with psychosis who is totally out of it and needs help anyway. The army psychologists that made that list did lots of investigations and know what they are talking about.

Also there are lots of forgetfull people, but not only on subway, but even on bus.

When I was on M10, some one left big baby stroller behind and there was no family onboard.

Long time ago before June service cut, I remember there was some kind of shopping bag (properly garbage) left behind. I don't want to touch that disgusting garbage, so I said nothing.

Oh, wait this is an easy question ! ! ! YOU are a TOOL !

I'm sorry to say, but do you think you would find a Black, White or Hispanic, planting bombs on trains?

I'm sorry to say that you are wrong if you don't think a black, white or Latino person can't do this... You have some of each group that become trained radicals and in fact could be used to do that very thing. Here are some articles below that prove this very point... The problem is the media generally doesn't report these things so what you don't see, you don't believe can happen.

http://www.npr.org/2...nverts-to-islam

http://latino.foxnew...-in-california/

I also like how that Latina that was arrested for pushing that Hindu guy off the platform was not only arrested but taken for psychiatric tests as if because she is a racist and Latina is somehow not possible. If that was a white person that did that though I doubt they would be taken for tests... LOL We really need to stop trying to say that only this group or that group is capable of such and such acts because it's been show that that simply is not true...

Source: http://www.theblaze....s-a-hate-crime/

While everybody else attacks you over a simple statement that was not meant to be harmful and was taken out of context beyond belief <_<, I think it's good that you did what you did. We live in a different age these days and we need to be alert, regardless of who the people are as you pointed out, so for everyone who attacked you and didn't look at the big picture (a bit sensitive if you ask me), kudos to you for seeing something and trying to do something. Luckily there were no explosives or anything anywhere.

The one thing that annoys me is when folks gang up on an individual when they make a mistake as if they're all perfect. That attack that occurred above was really unnecessary, especially when everyone knows what happens on the streets now and days. Yeah it's wrong, but it happens. No need to pretend like it doesn't and try to attack the person as if you're so much better.

This reminded me of a time I was on the Howard Beach-JFK station. I saw a backpack laying out on the platform for a good 15 minutes, then I saw an MTA employee and told him about the bag laying on the floor. He smiled and told me it belonged to the C/R. So I moved on.

Racial profiling much? I can't further comment after that last statement.

No offense, but that was ultra stupid of you to say....

Oh, wait this is an easy question ! ! ! YOU are a TOOL !

I don't think that's what he meant...it'd be racial profiling if he flipped because the guy was Middle Eastern, but I think his point was that that wasn't the case, and that may be why very little action was taken. Lots of cops and officials assume that nobody's up to any trouble unless they're Middle Eastern, that's the racial profiling. [Take that situation with the two white kids with explosives in the East Village, the NYPD just passed that off as a couple drugged out kids -- imagine what they would have done if it'd been two Muslim kids. They'd be in jail by now, I can say that much.]

Yes. Are you slow or something? It's completely possible. Don't think like that.

State funded terroists at that.

Cut that sh!t out. You just look dumb with comments like that.

Archived