New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Njt sold those lines there’s nothing they can do but take back the buses they won’t need. Or njt can buy those lines back which I doubt.

That's a crazy system. Selling your own lines to a private carrier because either you can't or unwilling to operate them yourselves.🤨

On 7/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, Lawrence St said:

There should be some sort of incentive program that NJ should have that allows new bus companies to come in and run some of these lines under contract.

As opposed to simply making it easier for NJT to directly handle operations?

On 7/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, Lawrence St said:

There should be some sort of incentive program that NJ should have that allows new bus companies to come in and run some of these lines under contract.

Have you forgotten about the Saddle River fiasco? Ever since that, they've stayed far away from trying to get new companies to do their routes.

Matador Tours briefly took over after Saddle River....and that was even worse. They still have two state-owned buses on their property, a D4000, and an RTS.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:17 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Did they cease operations already? Thought October

Not yet.

There are three A&C Bus NABIs at the Meadowlands lot, however. Seems like they're starting early.

15 hours ago, Lex said:

As opposed to simply making it easier for NJT to directly handle operations?

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Sounds like he doesn't want any part of NJT taking these lines over (even if it were to be made easier)....

NJT would have to take over regardless, since it's technically their lines, just contracted to another agency. It's just a matter of which garages will be able to take on the routes in question. Meadowlands & Greenville have been getting their asses kicked ever since the 10 and 119 came into the fold.

It makes me very skeptical that something with some sort of sense will be done. After what they did with the 86P when the 4 got the axe, I have very little hope that they'll do something that actually makes any sense.

Edited by Cait Sith

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

NJT would have to take over regardless, since it's technically their lines, just contracted to another agency. It's just a matter of which garages will be able to take on the routes in question. Meadowlands & Greenville have been getting their asses kicked ever since the 10 and 119 came into the fold.

It makes me very skeptical that something with some sort of sense will be done. After what they did with the 86P when the 4 got the axe, I have very little hope that they'll do something that actually makes any sense.

I know NJT will have to step in.

The concern I have is, how much will they f*** up the current layout/network in going about replacing these routes, than what garages they'd end up operating out of....

On 7/20/2023 at 10:43 PM, Cait Sith said:

There are three A&C Bus NABIs at the Meadowlands lot, however. Seems like they're starting early.

Looks like you can add maybe a few more to that.  I was going to post seeing them there until I found your comment

With three bus route makeovers underway, NJ Transit received another federal grant to redesign bus routes, some which haven’t changed since trolley cars ran on them.

NJ Transit received a $600,000 Federal Transit Administration grant to redesign routes in Paterson and Passaic. This is the fourth bus redesign study the agency has undertaken and the second one funded by a federal grant.

The need was quantified by U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr, who supported the application in a March 10 letter to FTA Administrator Nuria Fernandez.

“North Jersey and Passaic County are among the most densely populated parts of the entire United States,” Pascrell, D-9th Dist., said in a statement. “Nearly one-quarter of a million Americans in Paterson and Passaic commute to work every day. Many of them are middle and working class, and so their livelihoods depend on safe, efficient, and smartly designed bus lines.”

The grant is part of a larger nationwide program that awarded a total of $20 million to 47 communities under the Areas of Persistent Poverty program. That program is designed to improve or start transit programs for residents with limited or no transportation options.

“Through this program, we are bringing affordable, accessible public transit to the very communities that need it the most, making it possible for more people to access jobs, resources, and opportunity,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg in a statement.

The competitive grants were specifically awarded for studies to improve transit in Census-defined low-income areas. Transit agencies applied for the grant and FTA officials said the agency received applications totaling close to $36 million in funding requests.

This would be NJ Transit’s fourth bus redesign, an effort that started in Jan. 2021 with New Bus Newark, followed by New Bus Burlington-Camden-Gloucester in Jan. 2022 and New Bus Hudson in June 2022, which is funded by a $514,045 FTA grant.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/slice-of-20m-federal-bus-grant-is-coming-to-densely-populated-nj-cities/ar-AA1e8UjO

This would be more exciting if NJT hadnt completely dropped the ball with the other plans...

12 minutes ago, nightmare402 said:

no connection 

And also, who owns the right-of-way between PSNY and Secaucus? Amtrak. I'm sure they don't want to oversaturate that section with trains, with how bad things been