New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

3 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

No, when one scans the mytix from the phone in the reader it pops up on the register and you don’t have to press anything. It updates the count for you on the wayfarer. 

Ours aren’t active yet…tried it today and nothing. Hopefully ours will be active soon

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the runtime for the 139 between PABT and Lakewood increase? IIRC when I rode it a few years ago it took an hour and a half to travel between those two points, looked up the times for tomorrow and it takes an hour and 50 minutes to travel between those two points, an increase of 20 minutes.

Wanted to fan the N/B 319 (only rode it once S/B) but I'm trying to hold off until after Memorial Day to avoid getting stuck in Holiday weekend traffic. I've gotten burned before on that approach to the Lincoln Tunnel in Union City, traveling on the GSP and 495 helix on a afternoon on a holiday weekend is too much of an gamble.

4 hours ago, FlashThunder said:

NJT finally updated the destination sign for 355 to NY. Instead of New York being on two lines, it takes up the entire destination sign (just like your standard 114 NEW YORK). 

About damn time

On 5/27/2023 at 7:14 PM, trainfan22 said:

Did the runtime for the 139 between PABT and Lakewood increase? IIRC when I rode it a few years ago it took an hour and a half to travel between those two points, looked up the times for tomorrow and it takes an hour and 50 minutes to travel between those two points, an increase of 20 minutes.

Barring minimal traffic & passenger activity, you get there around 90 mins.... Barring normalcy, it's closer to 2 hours...

Traffic on rt. 9 in general along the #139 is only getting worse.... The Freehold - Lakewood section of the route in-particular isn't near as much of a breeze as it used to be... They've gone (and are still going) nuts with the amount of development in & around Lakewood right now...

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Barring minimal traffic & passenger activity, you get there around 90 mins.... Barring normalcy, it's closer to 2 hours...

Traffic on rt. 9 in general along the #139 is only getting worse.... The Freehold - Lakewood section of the route in-particular isn't near as much of a breeze as it used to be... They've gone (and are still going) nuts with the amount of development in & around Lakewood right now...

I think that sentiment applies to everywhere that redevelopment is occurring here.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It should be, but I don't see it (happening)....

Besides, why does there even need to be a "campaign" for a reputable public transportation agency to compose & release a system-wide map....

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I feel like NJT should be exempt from having a system-wide map just because of the coverage area it has. It should at least be by town, like any route that enters or goes near the PABT.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I feel like NJT should be exempt from having a system-wide map just because of the coverage area it has. It should at least be by town, like any route that enters or goes near the PABT.

I saw an attempt at a system map on Transee that confirms your point.  Yuck

I mean the unofficial Doug & Adrienne maps look alright...all they have to do is use the same process and produce and updated version of those maps. Rhode Island manages to have a statewide map, and granted it's a smaller state, but they do manage to pull it off.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I think the difficulty with producing an NJT map is not the size/coverage area, since you could easily split the map up by county or other divisions. The problem is the number of variants for each route which is far beyond most other transit agencies. When a route has 8 different variants it is difficult or impossible to show on a map in an understandable way. The NJT bus system has an inherent legibility problem.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:36 PM, B35 via Church said:

So I ask, what is the point of having to scan the ticket to EXIT the station? Especially when the ticket is going to end up getting scanned by the conductor on the train you just got off of (apparently invalidating the ticket)....

It's strange to say the least why your Red Bank to SEC ticket won't let you past the fare gates. In my opinion, SEC should be its own fare zone for the Newark Division lines (if you are not transferring), otherwise, you unnecessarily pay the NYP fare to exit the upper level.

In any case, I believe it's a way to ensure riders from NYP pay their fare in case your ticket isn't checked between NYP and SEC, and the conductors do not check tickets for those going from SEC to NYP. I agree the gates do not serve much purpose besides this. But after all, everyone comes from or goes to NYP according to NJT which is what they build around and leave intrastate or suburban commuters on the back burner (I am the latter most times). 

https://www.menendez.senate.gov/newsroom/press/sens-menendez-and-booker-reps-sherrill-payne-jr-and-pascrell-jr-announce-47m-for-nj-transit-from-the-fta

NJ Transit got more federal funding from the FTA ($47 Million) that will go towards providing the equipment necessary to handle battery-electric buses at the Hilton garage, and to increase service in other areas.

On 6/17/2023 at 11:26 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

It's embarrassing that they can't even put out this press release with consistent font and sizing! It looks like some college intern cut and pasted various lines together without even doing Ctrl+A to change everything to the same font.