New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

MTA doesn't think some offpeak express NON SI routes only need 40 ft buses. Some routes do not need 45 ft buses on any run.

Seriously... Come back with a more logical answer. Like seriously.

MTA's first coaches were 45 footers. Why throw 40 footers in the mix and have to add additional training for drivers and maintenance? On top of that, SI isn't the only routes that get slammed.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously... Come back with a more logical answer. Like seriously.

MTA's first coaches were 45 footers. Why throw 40 footers in the mix and have to add additional training for drivers and maintenance? On top of that, SI isn't the only routes that get slammed.

True bxm lines get slammed as well as some QM ones I think you know which lines I am talking about hint they are mostly empty outside rush if you been on em all you know what they are. Remember I said SOME= few.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Why does the MTA use only 45-foot coaches, but NJT 40 and 45-foot coaches?
On some lines, an MCI is needed, but not a 45-foot one. It also because 40-foot MCIs can make some streets that a 45 can't. For example, the 126. That line uses D4000s a lot and the streets in Hoboken are so tight that when they used artics they had to board people somewhere away from the station so the bus wouldn't get stuck. There have been a few times where a 45 was used on the 126, but it was probably driven by an expert driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On some lines, an MCI is needed, but not a 45-foot one. It also because 40-foot MCIs can make some streets that a 45 can't. For example, the 126. That line uses D4000s a lot and the streets in Hoboken are so tight that when they used artics they had to board people somewhere away from the station so the bus wouldn't get stuck. There have been a few times where a 45 was used on the 126, but it was probably driven by an expert driver. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak authoritatively for the 45's since I was never trained on them but they can fit in a lot more places than some may realize.  The streets along the 126 line can't be much tighter than those in Paterson, and 45's are routinely used on the 190 and 161.  I know for a fact that 45's can fit into Market Street Garage (Wayne sends them over for maintenance from time to time), which means they can negotiate those tighter as hell turns on Grand, Spruce and Market, and the turn from Main onto Van Houten Street, and in and out of Broadway Terminal.  

Why does the MTA use only 45-foot coaches, but NJT 40 and 45-foot coaches?

MTA doesn't think some offpeak express NON SI routes only need 40 ft buses. Some routes do not need 45 ft buses on any run.

The reason why NJT has D4000S has nothing to do with the ridership and everything to do with space. Quite a few garages (Oradell,Market St and Ironbound) do not have the room to have a full complement of D4500s. Looking at the ridership now and what is projected in the future NJT has too many D4000s and not enough 4500s. This is part of the reason you have the Meadowlands helping on the 166 and 167, Howell on the 128,308 and 321 among others.

The reason why NJT has D4000S has nothing to do with the ridership and everything to do with space. Quite a few garages (Oradell,Market St and Ironbound) do not have the room to have a full complement of D4500s. Looking at the ridership now and what is projected in the future NJT has too many D4000s and not enough 4500s. This is part of the reason you have the Meadowlands helping on the 166 and 167, Howell on the 128,308 and 321 among others.

Makes sense in that regard.

http://www.bayonnenj.org/assets/uploads/2012/08/Broadway_Bus_November_2011.pdf

This Broadway Bus schedule lists the terminal as 60th Street, yet no such street exists (at least now), and 63rd Street is really the first 6# Street. Any reason why it's listed as 60th Street? I'm trying to put correct info on my video.

Edited by GojiMet86

question on TRENTON TRANSIT center. I heard SEPTA may strike. I usually take NEC to Septa to Philly. I am sure it will be back in service when i needed. in case if they still on strike, what should i do? I refuse to take Amtrak for one lousy stop at high prices. What bus can i take? how much travel time i need? How ofter it run? . 

question on TRENTON TRANSIT center. I heard SEPTA may strike. I usually take NEC to Septa to Philly. I am sure it will be back in service when i needed. in case if they still on strike, what should i do? I refuse to take Amtrak for one lousy stop at high prices. What bus can i take? how much travel time i need? How ofter it run? . 

The trains shouldn't be on strike since they're part of another transit union. But if you need another alternative god forbid they do, you can take the 409 from Trenton to downtown Philly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverline to camden then NJT for Philly

I have a question. Why is it that Union City has more reverse peak service than in the peak direction? The main exception I've seen to this rule (aside from the buses that serve Hudson County beyond 30th/31st Streets is the 190.

Lots of people who live in Union City work hourly jobs in various North Jersey communities.