R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering, Now that the test is passed, When will they start putting more R188's on the flushing line?

thats fantastic ???????? R188 is approved ... it should start putting more R188 into service in January something like that , because the other one that are in the Coney Island Yard gotta go through with tests then they will send it to the Corona Yard for Service

Just wondering, Now that the test is passed, When will they start putting more R188's on the flushing line?

Starting in January, a new set will start service on the (7) line every week, which means that those R62As are going to be gone before you know it.

Starting in January, a new set will start service on the (7) line every week, which means that those R62As are going to be gone before you know it.

I was told the process will be complete in early 2015 with all R188's on the (7). Which is a short period of time for new rolling stock to be introduced on a line. Took just as long as the R143's on the (L) as I remember.

Excellent list. Regarding the (1) R62s, do you know which ones are there right now? 1406-1410 are off, sitting at 207th at the moment.

I saw 1411-15 coupled to 1621-25 last night at Times Sq so there goes one part of your answer...dunno the other carts that are there...

It may take longer that early 2015, the R142A's are going to Kawasaki to be converted, I would say mid 2015-early 2016

Building the cars is what takes time. Converting them does not take a long time at all. All that's involved is a reconfiguration of set features to match the newly built cars and adding on 1 newly built C car.

Since the set passed that is staying in Revenue Service Permanently as Planned and will run everyday almost 24hrs as any normal train , starting January each week a R188 will enter service on the (7) , and at the same time an R62A will be taken out and will return back to the (6).

I was told the process will be complete in early 2015 with all R188's on the (7). Which is a short period of time for new rolling stock to be introduced on a line. Took just as long as the R143's on the (L) as I remember.

better get those RFW videos of the extension as soon as it opens haha. That opportunity, if it is available at all, will be short lived.

better get those RFW videos of the extension as soon as it opens haha. That opportunity, if it is available at all, will be short lived.

Thats true. R62A pics on the (7) and R142A (6) pics, RFW vids of the extension if at all possible. As many of them as possible before the swap in itself is complete. Throwback pics and vids for the history books.

Since the set passed that is staying in Revenue Service Permanently as Planned and will run everyday almost 24hrs as any normal train , starting January each week a R188 will enter service on the (7) , and at the same time an R62A will be taken out and will return back to the (6).

Nice. 24 Hr R188 service. This will be convenient as I don't get too many opportunities to ride the R188 weekdays.

But How come I dont see it running on the (7) any more?

But How come I dont see it running on the (7) any more?

Im not sure , but from what i know . after testing it was supposed to stay in service, likely there are certain times that Corona Yard run it. But i caught it leaving Grand Central 2 or 3 days ago at pm rush hour.

Edited by R62AR33

Im not sure , but from what i know . after testing it was supposed to stay in service, likely there are certain times that Corona Yard run it. But i caught it leaving Grand Central 2 days ago at pm rush hour.

In then that day the R188 was not out in service was due to some sort of isolated incident and not according to plans then, I guess. If we are all talking about yesterday, (unsure) then the fact that the system was in a Plan 3 due to the storm that now has passed may be a reason for the R188 no show. 

Edited by realizm

Will any 62s remain on the line around March break or Easter? That's the newest date for my trip into the city... I bloody well hope it doesn't change again..!! :angry:

Absolutely. There will be non-NTT equipment on the line for the next year, unless there's some unforeseen decision like sending the unconverted R142As off the (6) early...however, I would assume all will go to plan, so I would expect 62As for a while.

Will any 62s remain on the line around March break or Easter? That's the newest date for my trip into the city... I bloody well hope it doesn't change again..!! :angry:

They're be there, but in smaller numbers. As noted it may take up to 2016 at the latest for the transition to be complete. I wouldnt worry. But yes get all the R62A (7) and R142A (6) pics you possibly can before the show is over and they drop the final curtains on an intricate part of IRT history.

Absolutely. There will be non-NTT equipment on the line for the next year, unless there's some unforeseen decision like sending the unconverted R142As off the (6) early...however, I would assume all will go to plan, so I would expect 62As for a while.

They're be there, but in smaller numbers. As noted it may take up to 2016 at the latest for the transition to be complete. I wouldnt worry. But yes get all the R62A (7) and R142A (6) pics you possibly can before the show is over and they drop the final curtains on an intricate part of IRT history.

Thanks for the info guys!

My fingers are crossed that everything will work out as it should...

The swaps are supposed to end late 2014-mid 2015 , but the flushing line wont be running cbtc itself until 2016.

Edited by R62AR33