R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They really gave the (7) damaged (6) train cars with dirty walls/doors and messed up LED signs... The R142A's are old already so im curious to see how long those cars will hold up in comparison to the New R188 (full sets)

Sorry to budge in but yeah they won't last long I'm wondering if they will be able to handle CBTC and I bet the R188s are going to wind up just like them I'm already seeing rust on the R188s

Sorry to budge in but yeah they won't last long I'm wondering if they will be able to handle CBTC and I bet the R188s are going to wind up just like them I'm already seeing rust on the R188s

that actually might be dirt and water stains. But usually Corona takes care of their cars. The R62A's on the (6) are doing well and look fine....for now

They really gave the (7) damaged (6) train cars with dirty walls/doors and messed up LED signs... The R142A's are old already so im curious to see how long those cars will hold up in comparison to the New R188 (full sets)

The whole point of the upgrade was mainly focusing on the CBTC kit. Everything else is up to the yard to take care of

15 years old isn't old for a subway car, especially considering that the two oldest fleets (32s and 46s) will most likely run for 50 years.. matter of fact the 32s already did that, 46s are about 40 years old now and the 211s haven't even been ordered yet.

The 142As will last 40 to 50 years, they paid a million per car and a bunch of extra $$$ to refit them with CBTC. They aren't going to retire them prematurely.

They made other improvements to the conversion sets other than CBTC, It was explained on here once in the past.

They'll likely hold up fine. Those LCD problems everyone likes to harp on Westchester about are not exclusive to Westchester. The Luminator displays on all of the 142As, including the Jerome sets, are getting old. The Pocetec signs on the 142s aren't faring much better either. I doubt they were meant to last for the entirety of the cars' lifespan. I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA has to invest in new signs for all of the NTT fleet by the end of the decade.

The major thing that needs to be fixed on the 142As are the acceleration problem so it doesn't feel like riders are on broncos, but I believe that's a design flaw in the propulsion.

Edited by Lance

Another R62A got sent to the (6) last night..... saw it at Queensboro Plaza switching to the (N) track

The purple stickers are Not coming off the newly transferred R62A's from the (7) kinda like how the Orange stickers from the R62s from the (4) stayed even though getting transferred to the (3)

Yes they are.... after the swaps are completed they will go back to yellow, it doesn't make sense but its gonna happen , all they should do is remove the Led lights , from what i notice the crew don't bother changing the lights sometimes.

Edited by R62AR33

Another R62A got sent to the (6) last night..... saw it at Queensboro Plaza switching to the (N) track

Yes they are.... after the swaps are completed they will go back to yellow, it doesn't make sense but its gonna happen , all they should do is remove the Led lights , from what i notice the crew don't bother changing the lights sometimes.

And what if they don't change the stickers...

Quite frankly none of the R62s/R62A's need color stickers anymore. Each yard knows their fleet.

they're not spending money to put new stickers on old trains and as far as the LED signs, they "shouldn't" remove them whether crews use them properly or not because installing them was expensive, plus the (6) needs them but, not at badly as the (7) did/does ...but it definitely helps Edited by VIP

look at this video I took (look at the lead car mainly car #7310)

That's more dirt, than it is that car rusting. Notice how that's where the train and the platform meet first. The air kinda whips up onto the side of the train there when it enters a station. And the rest of the train is dirty at about platform or tunnel walkway height.

They'll likely hold up fine. Those LCD problems everyone likes to harp on Westchester about are not exclusive to Westchester. The Luminator displays on all of the 142As, including the Jerome sets, are getting old. The Pocetec signs on the 142s aren't faring much better either. I doubt they were meant to last for the entirety of the cars' lifespan. I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA has to invest in new signs for all of the NTT fleet by the end of the decade.

The major thing that needs to be fixed on the 142As are the acceleration problem so it doesn't feel like riders are on broncos, but I believe that's a design flaw in the propulsion.

I saw some of the newer R188 (7811-7898) some of their cars had their LCD screens blacking out in some letters. I think its just due to the LCD screens being on for so long that they overheat

Although, most of the Jerome R142A sets are in good condition, since the (4) uses only half of the cars during the day (except rush hour) and Jerome Yard turns the LEDS off when the train is not in service. However, in Westchester Yard, most of the R142A's are not in good condition, and the signs are being kept on 24/7. Now this problem is being carried over to the (7), and I know for a fact Flushing Yard will try their best to keep the R188's in good condition.

Wish more would understand this. 

I mentioned this exact point a long time ago.This is a signal project first and foremost. CBTC is the sole reason for this whole discussion. The conversions and the R188 are secondary. If they could have used the R62A cars for the project they would have done just that. If someone puts a new engine and transmission in a 10 year old " Vette I don't care what you call it, it doesn't excite me. If I operate an R62A from New Lots to 239th St yard and make the return trip in a R127 to me there's no difference because the operation is exactly the same. Now if the CBTC project works out that would impress me. BTW, I'm guessing that most of the brown spots you guys are seeing on the older cars is dirt and steel dust accumulation. When the R62 cars and the followers were introduced they all had that problem. Carry on.

What would be the highest numbered R142A on the (6) after the conversions??

I kno the (7) gets up to 7590 and the (6) will be left with 7591 up until 7655 I think, but ive seen 7666-7670 on the (4) and 7660-7665 on the (6) but haven't seen that set in weeks

The highest (6) train on R142A type will be 7670 (7591-7670) 7 R142As remain on the (6)

The (7) will be 7211-7400 C car 7899-7918 (as of now), soon, 7401-7590 with 7919-7936