R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lone 5 and 6 car set in Corona is 7866-7870 and 7860-7865, which might have been paired already, I haven't been there in awhile. 7866-7870 is CBTC testing, not sure about 7860-7865. There have been some sets that have been decoupled in the past (I beleive it was 7331-7335 which was decoupled from 7336-7340) but they recoupled the set back together. But knowing the MTA, they will start mismatching the sets soon, unfortunately.

Um, what's with the blank post javier?

What's the point of mismatching the sets ?

Well, it was going to happen eventually. They weren't going to keep them in the same 11 car group forever. Whatever is ready to run, they take. No different than with the R62As. I just hope they don't mistakenly connect two 6 car sets together.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Well, it was going to happen eventually. They weren't going to keep them in the same 11 car group forever. Whatever is ready to run, they take. No different than with the R62As. I just hope they don't mistakenly connect two 6 car sets together.

or connect two 5 car sets together

They have started mismatching the sets unfortunately. 7220-7216 have been coupled with 7305-7301. 

Pics coming soon

Isn't 7220-7216 one of the sets that has CBTC installed? 

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they started to pair 78xx sets to 72xx-75xx sets in the future. 

Two 5 car sets is not a problem. When there were only redbirds on the 7, the summer time they would cut out the R33wf single car (no a/c) and run 10 car trains. With R62As, they can run 11 car trains all year round. The serious issue with a 12 car train is of course being too long, at 612'.

Isn't there increased service during the summer?

What increase? I said in the past when redbirds were still running they ran 10car trains because the 11th car had no ac. When the 7 was all r62as, then it was 11 car trains all year round.

This.

If anything, there might be less service in the summer (less trains), because of no school.

Well I knew this was going to happen, because of the lack of NTT's in the (6), politics want the NTT's back on the (6), so the (2) and (5) will swap sets with (6) , (6) becomes 100% R142's while the (2) / (5) become R62/R62A's.

All why, because the (MTA) wants to make the (7) CBTC and fully NTT...

Well I knew this was going to happen, because of the lack of NTT's in the (6), politics want the NTT's back on the (6), so the (2) and (5) will swap sets with (6) , (6) becomes 100% R142's while the (2) / (5) become R62/R62A's.

All why, because the (MTA) wants to make the (7) CBTC and fully NTT...

Source ???