R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Whats the point of involving another line with another fleet of cars with a swap between two lines?

The whole point of the R188 order is more or less a swap with the (6) cars and the (7) cars. Why throw the (4) into the mix?

The only reason it could make any sense is if Pelham Shops wanted to only have NTTs.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the point of involving another line with another fleet of cars with a swap between two lines?

The whole point of the R188 order is more or less a swap with the (6) cars and the (7) cars. Why throw the (4) into the mix?

Exactly! Then you got this moron @Rollover saying "don't mind him" Man have a seat. Edited by VIP

True. This is more of a what if scenario if the (MTA) were trying to give the IRT an equal distribution of NTTS and SMEES in each yard.

You still have to think logically about it tho. Let's just say they do go on with this. The (7) would have R188s, the (6) would have both R62As and R142As, and the (4) would have R62As, R142s, and R142As. Now you're just giving Jerome another set of trains to take care of on top of the 2 they have now.

The whole point I'm trying to make is that the goal is to have as little variety as possible in yards. Keeps parts inventory low, don't have to scramble to find this piece that will only fit on that train, and overall less of a headache on the maintenance crew for dealing with a bunch of different car types at once.

You still have to think logically about it tho. Let's just say they do go on with this. The (7) would have R188s, the (6) would have both R62As and R142As, and the (4) would have R62As, R142s, and R142As. Now you're just giving Jerome another set of trains to take care of on top of the 2 they have now.

The whole point I'm trying to make is that the goal is to have as little variety as possible in yards. Keeps parts inventory low, don't have to scramble to find this piece that will only fit on that train, and overall less of a headache on the maintenance crew for dealing with a bunch of different car types at once.

I could see what you are saying, but here's how I would do it if the (4) got R62As instead of the (6):

Before the R188s, Corona had about 409 R62A cars, Westchester with 460 R142As, and Jerome with 260 R142s and 140 R142As. Since in total, Jerome has 400 cars, the R62As would displace the R142As first since there is less R142As than R142s, which admittedly, would make months of some extra maintenance for Jerome. Then, when the R142As are gone, the R142s go to Pelham. After the R188 order is done, there would now be 506 R188s for the (7), 409 R62As for the (4), and 260 R142s and 220 R142As (480 total) for the (6).

Like I pointed out already, Jerome would have to get extra maintenance for a few months, but eventually, all yards would eventually be evened out in maintenance and the NTTS and SMEEs would be evenly spread out.

Oh, and remember, the (4) did operate R142s, R142As, and R62s all at once before.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I could see what you are saying, but here's how I would do it if the (4) got R62As instead of the (6):

Before the R188s, Corona had about 409 R62A cars, Westchester with 460 R142As, and Jerome with 260 R142s and 140 R142As. Since in total, Jerome has 400 cars, the R62As would displace the R142As first since there is less R142As than R142s, which admittedly, would make months of some extra maintenance for Jerome. Then, when the R142As are gone, the R142s go to Pelham. After the R188 order is done, there would now be 506 R188s for the (7), 409 R62As for the (4), and 260 R142s and 220 R142As (480 total) for the (6).

Like I pointed out already, Jerome would have to get extra maintenance for a few months, but eventually, all yards would eventually be evened out in maintenance and the NTTS and SMEEs would be evenly spread out.

Oh, and remember, the (4) did operate R142s, R142As, and R62s all at once before.

;)

Both you and Union Tpke are correct that there is nothing wrong with sending all Corona's R62As to Jerome and all of Jerome's R142/As to Westchester, because of all the things you just said. Excellent point and justification. But unfortunately, that's not going to be the case at all, so we're just going to have to deal with it. Maybe the (MTA) just feels that the (6) and (7) swap is a simple one. Oh well I guess.

As for your last sentence, well, all other lines run mixed fleets of three different car types or so whenever new cars are being delivered. The R62s were all being transfered from Jerome to Livonia anyway, whereas the (3) gave up its R62As for the (7).

That's still a 3 way swap that's unnecessarily needed

Yeah, it seems stupid when you look at the LED on those R62As, but with or without the Corona-Westchester-Jerome swap I mentioned, eventually Jerome would see 3 different types of cars again.

I agree with the reasoning of your opinion, just saying that the Corona-Westchester-Jerome swap was another option that could was looked at.

That's still a 3 way swap that's unnecessarily needed

I don't think a 3-way swap would require any more work for the current two-way swap since the R62As from Corona have to go through Jerome Yard to get to Westchester anyway, so send the R62As to Jerome, then send its R142/142As to Westchester. It would make sense for the (4) to have R62As instead of the (6) since Corona has enough of them to make the (4) all R62As rather than leave 80-90 R142As on the (6). Not to mention the (4) was never supposed to get NTTs in the first place, the (3) was, but those East Side wanted all NTTs on their line and they are already starting to whine about the (6)'s R62As.

;)

Both you and Union Tpke are correct that there is nothing wrong with sending all Corona's R62As to Jerome and all of Jerome's R142/As to Westchester, because of all the things you just said. Excellent point and justification. But unfortunately, that's not going to be the case at all, so we're just going to have to deal with it. Maybe the (MTA) just feels that the (6) and (7) swap is a simple one. Oh well I guess.

As for your last sentence, well, all other lines run mixed fleets of three different car types or so whenever new cars are being delivered. The R62s were all being transfered from Jerome to Livonia anyway, whereas the (3) gave up its R62As for the (7).

I don't blame (6) riders for hating the R62As. It's pretty clear to me that service is drastically deteriorating because of them. People do not like their dark danky interiors, the narrower doors have resulted in longer dwelling time in stations, the garbled announcements force commuters to ask conductors if the train stops at where they want to go, further delaying them since they have to make announcements manually, and the side signs are often wrong, making it unclear if the train terminates at Parkchester or Pelham Bay Park, and conductors don't help, often simply saying "This is a Bronx-bound 6 train." If I was a conductor on the <6>, I would enjoy imitiating my two favorite announcements word-for-word. Of course, even if NTTs miraculously stay on the (6), "This is a Pelham Bay Park-bound 6 train making express stops in the Bronx" will not live long since the MTA wants to shorten announcements, so they will probably say "6 express to Pelham Bay Park" or "6 to Pelham Bay Park, express in the Bronx."

62As would be better on the (4) cause it would be less strain on they're A/C's, mostly express, nice long run outside in the BX, etc.

If the 62As end up staying on the (6) after the 32s retire I could see them doing summer swaps with the (2), (4) and (5) lines, 62As would probably become the new media scapegoat for "old raggity trains that have crappy A/C" the 62As on the (1) have A/C problems and AFAIK they have the same A/C systems as the cars on the (6)...

62As would be better on the (4) cause it would be less strain on they're A/C's, mostly express, nice long run outside in the BX, etc.

You're also correct too. Same with MysteriousBtrain and Union Tpke. Longer underground express runs requires opening the doors less frequently. Plus, if a (4) train is not in service (and also, doesn't need maintenance/inspection at the moment), it is always stored outside at the Concourse yard and Livonia yard. That also relieves the 62As' air-conditioning too.

Edited by RollOver

Oh great, it's this guy again.

And for the record, the NTTs ARE staying on the (6). They will be a minority of the fleet, but they are staying. I feel like this topic has been beaten to death.

Thought you said something else. Who said NTTs were leaving the (6)? Unless you meant the SMEEs.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Since this is an R188 topic:

as of now, the (7) is 7211-7410, 7899-7918 / 7811-7898 = 28 sets

Also, there was 7 R62As outside when I was on the (7) last friday

To clear things up, the (6) is always NTT but the amount changes

Edited by Calvin

Was on the 7 today and saw something interesting, 7216 is no longer coupled with 7305. 7216 is now coupled back with 7215 and 7305 is now coupled back with 7306. 7266 and 7325 have been coupled. This makes me think that either Corona wants to keep the sets in seqential order when possible or there is some other reason they need to be together (which I can't think of). 

Reread his post, whiny mess that it is.

"Of course, even if NTTs miraculously stay on the (6),"

He's assuming the NTTs will be leaving.

Oddly, I somehow read that post differently (twice). Silly me :D

Was on the 7 today and saw something interesting, 7216 is no longer coupled with 7305. 7216 is now coupled back with 7215 and 7305 is now coupled back with 7306. 7266 and 7325 have been coupled. This makes me think that either Corona wants to keep the sets in seqential order when possible or there is some other reason they need to be together (which I can't think of).

The only other thing I could think of is that Corona is testing how easy it would be to switch sets around.

You're also correct too. Same with MysteriousBtrain and Union Tpke. Longer underground express runs requires opening the doors less frequently. Plus, if a (4) train is not in service (and also, doesn't need maintenance/inspection at the moment), it is always stored outside at the Concourse yard and Livonia yard. That also relieves the 62As' air-conditioning too.

The (4) in The Bronx is based out of Jerome Avenue Yard NOT Concourse. Concourse is B Division and Jerome Avenue Yard has a roof.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Oddly, I somehow read that post differently (twice). Silly me :D

The only other thing I could think of is that Corona is testing how easy it would be to switch sets around.

I think Corona is not used to the sets and don't want to confuse them or they are waiting for the rest of the R142A fleet to come in

The (4) in The Bronx is based out of Jerome Avenue Yard NOT Concourse. Concourse is B Division and Jerome Avenue Yard has a roof.

I been knew that since I grew up on the line all my life, as I specifically said (4) trains get stored at Concourse yard, didn't say they were assigned to Concourse's shop facility for maintenance/inspection....there's a difference between trains being stored at yards and trains being assigned to shops for maintenance/inspection anyway if I'm not mistaken, and Concourse yard (not shop) is for both A and B divisions....

Edited by RollOver

I been knew that since I grew up on the line all my life, as I specifically said (4) trains get stored at Concourse yard, didn't say they were assigned to Concourse's shop facility for maintenance/inspection....there's a difference between trains being stored at yards and trains being assigned to shops for maintenance/inspection anyway if I'm not mistaken, and Concourse yard (not shop) is for both A and B divisions....

The terms "yard" and "shops" are used interchangeably. You may call it a yard, someone else will call it a shop & vise versa.

...but yes, sometimes you'll see a (4) train sitting in Concourse yard/shop for whatever reason.