R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I found on NYCSubway.org:

So in reality, it really isn't known what happened to these cars. Some say it was renumbered to 7211-7212, others believe that for some reason, 7209 was to be a C car for the (7).

7209 was actually the ORIGINAL start number for the R142A (Renumbered to 7210). It wasn't supposed to be a C car at that time

7209 was actually the ORIGINAL start number for the R142A (Renumbered to 7210). It wasn't supposed to be a C car at that time

Maybe he has a point about 7209 being the start number because remember the R142s was renumbered in the 11**-12** series because of the R142A order

But 7209 shown in the video was a B car, so it's unlikely that it was renumbered to 7211. I did hear somewhere though that some car was numbered to 7211 from something else. Perhaps 7209 was renumbered to 7212?

EDIT: The video description says the car was seen at Kawasaki for a year and never seen again. Maybe it wasn't renumbered, it was just never used probably.

Edited by Tech And Transit

Is it just me or is there a wider gap at 14 St with the R62A's other then the R142A's?

I could be wrong with this statistics from wikipedia but,

R62A - Width: 8.60 feet (2,621 mm)   Height: 11.89 feet (3,624 mm)  Platfrom height:  3.65 ft (1.11 m)

R142A - Width: 8.60 feet (2,621 mm)   Height: 11.89 feet (3,624 mm)  Platfrom height:  3.6458 ft (1.11 m)

So either is you or is probably the few inch door difference between the rolling stock.

IMO theres no need for stickers at all. I just hope corona doesnt put them on the R188s, the current ones on the R62As are hideous.

R62a 1791 had one of its stickers removed but I guess they gave up in trying to remove them.

Edited by jon2305