Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

6 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Best as I can understand the 16 R-32s removed from the fleet last week have and will not be put back in service.

Stripping work had already began on Monday.

3454/55 was in the line to go on the chop shop too but was inn another track then returned to Inspection and the yard then was still available.

That would get the Brightliner fleet back up to 204.  Probably all there will be but will watch.

So, it would seem doubt there will be any MORE R-32s retired anytime soon, Mhhhh?!?!?

I doubt they started to strip cars, the (C) was 100% R32's and the (A) had 2-3 R32's plus there was an R32 movie train at Chambers st on the (J)

Also swap related, the 6 R42's that were at 207th, to ENY.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Best as I can understand the 16 R-32s removed from the fleet last week have and will not be put back in service.

3454/55 was in the line to go on the chop shop too but was inn another track then returned to Inspection and the yard then was still available.

That would get the Brightliner fleet back up to 204.  Probably all there will be but will watch.

So, it would seem doubt there will be any MORE R-32s retired anytime soon, Mhhhh?!?!?

Could the stripping work be undone if need be?

26 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I doubt they started to strip cars, the (C) was 100% R32's and the (A) had 2-3 R32's plus there was an R32 movie train at Chambers st on the (J)

Also swap related, the 6 R42's that were at 207th, to ENY.

The (A) had 3 sets of 32’s and that R32 at Chambers was a school car. All R42’s that were scattered between TA yards are/were sent to East New York. 

42 minutes ago, m2fwannabe said:

Do you have car numbers for those 16? And 204+16 is only 220, where are the other 14? I know 240 still exist with 4 Phase II cars held OOS for the transit museum and 2 GE cars off property being used for police training. That leaves 234 Phase I cars.

10 minutes ago, Shore El Express said:

With the R42s back on the J/Z lines temporarily due to the door problems, does anybody have any idea what time they are running out of broad st in the PM tomorrow? Going to try to catch one myself because I missed the retirement

There will most likely be one in the 4-6PM interval. Some rush hour trains go into service at Bway Junction and turn around as Z trains. No one knows what interval they're going to be on but you can tweet the NYCT subway twitter handle and hopefully they tell you.

Just now, danielhg121 said:

There will most likely be one in the 4-6PM interval. Some rush hour trains go into service at Bway Junction and turn around as Z trains. No one knows what interval they're going to be on but you can tweet the NYCT subway twitter handle and hopefully they tell you.

Alright thanks. I tried tweeting the twitter handle a couple times but got no response :(

27 minutes ago, Shore El Express said:

With the R42s back on the J/Z lines temporarily due to the door problems, does anybody have any idea what time they are running out of broad st in the PM tomorrow? Going to try to catch one myself because I missed the retirement

Just be on the J line, they're guaranteed to run, 1 set ran all day

16 minutes ago, Shore El Express said:

True. I just wish they would inform the public when there is a final run for some sort of equipment, like with the R42s in late december

They never announced the final run for the R42's. It was "supposedly" Friday then magically became Monday.

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

I've been hearing through the grapevine that RCC has been getting calls all day about railfans on the R42s....

I hope none of you guys here did anything stupid.

I hope not as well. It’s the same shenanigans with the R46’s that Debuted on the (N) and (W) 

42 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Yea, I noticed that recently, perhaps they just flat out ignore tweets for where certain equipment is. It does get annoying on their end, I'll admit.

One guy on twitter constantly asks them about where the R179s are at certain times of the day, I dont blame them for ignoring questions about certain car types

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

40 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I've been hearing through the grapevine that RCC has been getting calls all day about railfans on the R42s....

I hope none of you guys here did anything stupid.

It's probably the crew reporting railfans for taking photos and videos

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's probably the crew reporting railfans for taking photos and videos

You mean the people that yell over it and go insane? 

Those ain’t railfans...that’s a different breed of humans.

11 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Could the stripping work be undone if need be?

Unlikely.  The processing (dismemberment) job would already be programmed and costly to unduly reverse without a major difference for the fleet availability.

Better to take whatever useful parts could be harvested for the 204* others.

10 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

One guy on twitter constantly asks them about where the R179s are at certain times of the day, I dont blame them for ignoring questions about certain car types

He's been doing that for the past 4 months now, and everytime he asks they reply to him.

Why they continue to reply is beyond me.

11 hours ago, Amtrak706 said:

Do you have car numbers for those 16? And 204+16 is only 220, where are the other 14? I know 240 still exist with 4 Phase II cars held OOS for the transit museum and 2 GE cars off property being used for police training. That leaves 234 Phase I cars.

Which R32's got sent for Police Training? 

11 hours ago, Amtrak706 said:

As others revealed, 3878/79 has been out of service already long term.

3454/55 was sidelined and "supposed" to be processed but evidently was hastily brung back to the rails yesterday.

The other 16 cars (creating list of 20) were 3404/05, 3410/11, 3424/25, 3452/53, 3484/85, 3496/97, 3698/99, 3900/01.

None were back in  service as of yesterday's AM lists and would have been shocked to so noted.  Time will tell for the others but at least 12 of those were already being stripped this week.

1 minute ago, m2fwannabe said:

As others revealed, 3878/79 has been out of service already long term.

3454/55 was sidelined and "supposed" to be processed but evidently was hastily brung back to the rails yesterday.

The other 16 cars (creating list of 20) were 3404/05, 3410/11, 3424/25, 3452/53, 3484/85, 3496/97, 3698/99, 3900/01.

None were back in  service as of yesterday's AM lists and would have been shocked to so noted.  Time will tell for the others but at least 12 of those were already being stripped this week.

Are there any R32's/R42's out on the (J) right now?