MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

So, whats the current amount of RTS buses for each depot?

There's only 5 at MJQ: 5227, 5238, 5239, 5240, 5241. 

Flatbush still has their 10. However, they are parked with NOT IN SERVICE readings on the front window. 

Ulmer Park is 0. 

Edited by Calvin

42 minutes ago, Autocar said:

It's a very sad day that the end of the RTS Era has arrived.  It only proves my theory that the NYCT still lives by the credo of "Scrap First and Ask Questions Later ". They never learn. The reporter who wrote the now infamous article about the RTS model buses in my opinion belongs in prison and the Transit Executives who are responsible for pulling perfectly serviceable buses from doing what they were supposed to be doing should join the reporter in jail because they are guilty of Criminal actions.  This is a grave injustice. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cca467c365a707655

The wound isn't deep lmao. It's not like the doctors have bad band-aid maintenance...

Back on topic...

Although 7815 and 7817 may still be at WF, there most likely just waiting to be scrapped or moved to ECH because none of the Orion VII CNGs at WF have seen service since last week...

1 hour ago, Autocar said:

It's a very sad day that the end of the RTS Era has arrived.  It only proves my theory that the NYCT still lives by the credo of "Scrap First and Ask Questions Later ". They never learn. The reporter who wrote the now infamous article about the RTS model buses in my opinion belongs in prison and the Transit Executives who are responsible for pulling perfectly serviceable buses from doing what they were supposed to be doing should join the reporter in jail because they are guilty of Criminal actions.  This is a grave injustice. 

It’s a bus. Jesus wept.

42 minutes ago, Calvin said:

There's only 5 at MJQ: 5227, 5238, 5239, 5240, 5241. 

Flatbush still has their 10. However, they are parked with NOT IN SERVICE readings on the front window. 

Ulmer Park is 0. 

So basically 5 total.

4 hours ago, Autocar said:

Well now I know that all I have to do to make grown men cry and go berserk is to retire a fleet of buses...

Pathetic. Grow up.

I respect your right to disagree with my opinion, but I have mine and you have yours and that is where we will leave the discussion.  

Well shall I remind you that in the United States of America there is something called The Constitution, and in that sacred Constitution that we follow up to this day bears our lovely and most powerful First Amendment which stands for the Freedom of Speech, Religion, and Expression. The reporter does not belong in jail, neither do the Transit executives, the bus has ran past its expected lifespan, and you're lucky its been out for 23 years, everything comes to an end, so if you don't like it... well it happened anyway; life isn't fair. These executives and the Department of Buses made a decision, and have followed through their decision to retire them in May, every bus including these brand new 2019 models will reach their time in 12-20 years be retired in the same fashion that these RTS's were.

Edited by WestFarms36

Boy, you extreme foamers just love begging for attention. Since when is writing an article about RTS buses and then scrapping said buses a "Criminal Action". Let me just give you a quick and much-needed trip back to reality...

1) MTA's RTS's have been around for 38 YEARS! FAR longer than any other major transit agency (including MBTA, NJT, SEPTA, etc...)

2) Even if that article never came out, these buses were gonna be gone by the end of the year.

3) Not ALL of those RTS's were "perfectly serviceable"...some were on their last legs...(example: the last RTS #5240 died on its last night)

4) Remember when the Orion V's ran for the last time? Sure we were sad, but we've forgotten about them after a few weeks...

5) Buses are not HUMAN BEINGS, you're sounding like MTA and this reporter committed murder or something.

Instead of whining and complaining, how about celebrating the legacy that these buses had...and as for the "reporters and transit execs going to prison" thing...🙄 What's next? You gonna say that the MTA execs should go to jail for canceling the L train shutdown? (Oops, shouldn't be giving out any ideas lmao).

Edited by TheTransitKing

18 hours ago, Autocar said:

You have to learn to move on and get over this because there is nothing anybody or anything can do. It’s just a bus. Just let it go. I was sad when older models went but I’m not that type of person to put it out there. 

If you feeling froggy, read this phrase:

“New buses come into the City

New buses come in wrapped

New buses hit the streets of the city

while old buses are scrapped. “

Thats how I see buses as years go by. Nothing lasts forever. The photos of them you take do. 

Nobody is going down for this. Take it from me.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:42 PM, Autocar said:

The last RTS buses were among the oldest buses in service in transit service in the USA. There are still two operators of Flxible Metros (Omaha Metro and CARTA) in the USA, but they don't get nearly the use buses in large cities get. These buses did their time.

The other question is: nationwide, who is still operating the RTS?

Edited by aemoreira81

15 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

The last RTS buses were among the oldest buses in service in transit service in the USA. There are still two operators of Flxible Metros (Omaha Metro and CARTA) in the USA, but they don't get nearly the use buses in large cities get. These buses did their time.

The other question is: nationwide, who is still operating the RTS?

Even San Juan metro in Puerto Rico got rid of their RTS buses.

It's sad for me that RTS' are gone. I've never really been a bus fan but they've always been my favorite ones. They're iconic and will be missed. Just like the Ford Crown Victoria Yellow Taxis, of which there are *literally* a few still left, but not for long. But even if that article had an effect on the MTA's retirement of the RTS, what really bothered me about it was it's SJW tone - creating a problem that doesn't exist. The whole premise is that the MTA puts the oldest and worst busses in poor neighborhoods, with the implication that they are doing this on purpose because they don't care about poor people. No, that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. 

The article even contradicted it's own premise with this key and true point:  

"An army of old buses also rolls up and down the west side of Manhattan, through some of the city’s wealthiest neighborhoods."

Exactly!!  So why even write this article? The MTA is clearly sticking it to the rich people on the Upper West Side amirite?!

Edited by Maserati7200

7 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

It's been expected but it finally happened: 7816-7817 scrap at last. All orion 7 CNGs retired

So now all O7CNGs, RTS & NFD60HFs are gone. Although it frees up 4900-5249 & 5603-5749 for newbies, the 78xx are already set up. Now let’s all go to Bus Heaven and pay a visit

1 hour ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Are all RTS gone from every depot?

49 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

All are gone except for 5241

And 5249, if that's included. 

Edited by Calvin