Enhanced Station Initiative

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if the fact that it's a different contractor that did these stations compared to the Astoria and 4th Avenue ones, but it cannot be a coincidence that all four of the Central Park West/8th Avenue rehab stations were done by the same contractor (ECCO III Enterprises) and all suffer the same problems. There were some minor things that needed to be finished at the 4th Avenue and Astoria stations, but all of those ESI stations were opened at 99% completion, not these low 80s we're seeing here.

For those interested, here's how the contracts were divided up:

1) 4th Avenue - Prospect Av, 53 Street, Bay Ridge Av - Citnalta-Forte Joint Venture

2) Astoria - 30 Avenue, Broadway, 36 Avenue, 39 Avenue - Skanksa USA

3) 8th Avenue - 163 St-Amsterdam Av, Cathedral Pkwy, 86 Street, 72 Street - ECCO III Enterprises

4) Midtown - 34 St-Penn Station (IRT & IND), 57 Street (6th Ave), 23 Street (6th Ave), 28 Street (Lexington Ave) - Judlau Contracting

5)  Concourse/Harlem - 145 Street (Lenox Ave), 174-175 Streets, 167 Street - Citnalta-Forte Joint Venture

Stations in italics are still closed for renovations.

14 minutes ago, Lance said:

I don't know if the fact that it's a different contractor that did these stations compared to the Astoria and 4th Avenue ones, but it cannot be a coincidence that all four of the Central Park West/8th Avenue rehab stations were done by the same contractor (ECCO III Enterprises) and all suffer the same problems. There were some minor things that needed to be finished at the 4th Avenue and Astoria stations, but all of those ESI stations were opened at 99% completion, not these low 80s we're seeing here.

1) 4th Avenue - Prospect Av, 53 Street, Bay Ridge Av - Citnalta-Forte Joint Venture

3) 8th Avenue - 163 St-Amsterdam Av, Cathedral Pkwy, 86 Street, 72 Street - ECCO III Enterprises

4) Midtown - 34 St-Penn Station (IRT & IND), 57 Street (6th Ave), 23 Street (6th Ave), 28 Street (Lexington Ave) - Judlau Contracting

5)  Concourse/Harlem - 145 Street (Lenox Ave), 174-175 Streets, 167 Street - Citnalta-Forte Joint Venture

Since when was 34-Penn suppose to close?

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The S/B platforms on the (C) line stations that got ESI'd are getting worked on this weekend. Perhaps they are putting the "finishing touches" on these stations.

These "finishing touches" are most likely things that should've been completed before the official opening of the stations. Guess that it's a top priority to get the stations done on time, though as I've said with a lot of the ESI'd CPW stations, it does mean the work is still pretty sloppy in many areas.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

7 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

These "finishing touches" are most likely things that should've been completed before the official opening of the stations. Guess that it's a top priority to get the stations done on time, though as I've said with a lot of the ESI'd CPW stations, it does mean the work is still pretty sloppy in many areas.

I passed by some of them the other day actually. They look strange. Great lighting, newish looking platforms, and then the tiles are a mí of old and new so it looks slightly better, but you can tell it isn't a newly rehabbed station, although that was supposed to be the point.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:49 PM, Lance said:

Skanska is one of the best out there. I considered a gig with them briefly.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:49 PM, Lance said:

Thankfully, the folks who did the 4th Ave  line renovations are also doing the Concourse Line renovations. The ESI work on the CPW has been shoddy, if not completely jarring. So far, the work on the Concourse lines has been much more intensive and noticeable, whereas the CPW stations were seemingly left alone until about a few weeks before their opening, where it felt like they rushed the repairs just to get the station open on time.

53 minutes ago, AJ of JGD said:

OK, 3 Questions:

1) Anyone have an idea of who will be awarded the contract to work on the stations for the (5) and (6)?

2) What is the next station to reopen?

3) How will Pelham Pkwy come out in your opinions?

Unfortunately, the ESI project has been postponed/cancelled due to lack of funding, so those stations won't be seeing renovations for the foreseeable future (though Westchester Sq on the (6) will get a renovation when it receives it's ADA upgrade). IIRC, 57th Street-6th Avenue and 145th Street should reopen next month. 

Edited by Cabanamaner

18 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

Unfortunately, the ESI project has been postponed/cancelled due to lack of funding, so those stations won't be seeing renovations for the foreseeable future (though Westchester Sq on the (6) will get a renovation when it receives it's ADA upgrade). IIRC, 57th Street-6th Avenue and 145th Street should reopen next month. 

145th Street on the (3) has a planned reopening this month so we should expect the MTA to reopen it this week or the next. And besides 57th Street on the (F), the MTA also plans to reopen 23rd Street on the (F)(M), 28th Street on the (6), and 174th-175th Streets on the (B)(D).

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

My dad told me that a portion of the walls at 23rd Street heading south are down, and he couldn't notice any changes.

The walls on ALL IND stations that went through ESI don't look different that much. I'm glad they at least kept the integrity of those stations. The most I'd expect to see on the walls is maybe a few Art installations here and there and those Kisoks or LCD screens that (MTA) has been putting up in stations. I've noticed some of those screens at 42nd, Court Square and a few stations on the (G) and (L) lines. 

17 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

My dad told me that a portion of the walls at 23rd Street heading south are down, and he couldn't notice any changes.

It's new LED panel lighting, and a lot of new wiring. there will probably be the new electronic screen boards on the walls as well.

21 minutes ago, Eric B said:

It's new LED panel lighting, and a lot of new wiring. there will probably be the new electronic screen boards on the walls as well.

I think he means the blue walls hiding the station, they are fully down going uptown and going downtown is partially down as of Tuesday, gonna assume its fully down as of today.

13 hours ago, Train92 said:

I think he means the blue walls hiding the station, they are fully down going uptown and going downtown is partially down as of Tuesday, gonna assume its fully down as of today.

Yes, the blue walls are down, but it doesn't look like much was done to the station, he said.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:15 AM, Lance said:

Apparently 23 Street will reopen on Monday, ahead of the original schedule.

image.png.d5e594a08076353d90d11ddd9d2d8741.png

Let's see if they actually finished this one.

It is back to December. http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=ALL&date=11/26/2018&time=&method=getstatus4

I saved the version with November 26 in the web archive

https://web.archive.org/web/20181125074003/http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=ALL&date=11/26/2018&time=&method=getstatus4.

Someone goofed.