Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is offensive. Every man should know how to cook (and chicks dig it).

Every pasta is cooked in water. It should never, ever be served without anything on it. That's disgusting, it's just raw and awful.

You wanna boil that stuff for (depending on size) around ten-twelve minutes or so for an 'Al Dente' (that's not soft but far from crunchy, literally 'to the teeth') pasta, even longer for softer pasta. You take it out and then your decision is what goes on it. Olive oil is completely legitimate, you just have to use good oil, so that means Extra Virgin. Butter is your second option, but that's gonna be heavy. Personally, I'd go with oil. Other options are sauces of every kind, which are gonna be more complex depending on what you do. You can do a butter sauce with sage, butter with cheese and pepper (cacio e pepe style), the classic tomato sauce, pesto sauce, etc. Never plain though. Never ever plain.

I know how to cook. The thing was that my mom brought home some pasta with oil on it (just oil. No sauce. No nothing) and it tasted terrible. I mean, what was I going to do? Throw it out? Not happening.

And yeah, I know what "Al Dente" means. I took Italian for 2 years in high school and 3 years in middle school (plus, Spanish is my first language). In any case, the problem was probably with the oil. I've tasted pasta with a good olive oil and it tasted great. But this was like one of those lunches they give you on a field trip, so they obviously weren't going to use high-quality stuff.

I generally put some sort of pasta sauce on it, but the thing is that I don't mind eating it plain (I generally get the whole grain pasta since it's the same price as the regular one, so maybe that makes a difference). But I only eat it plain if I don't have any sauce available. Now, if I were cooking for guests (or a girl), then of course I'd use sauce.

I know how to cook. The thing was that my mom brought home some pasta with oil on it (just oil. No sauce. No nothing) and it tasted terrible. I mean, what was I going to do? Throw it out? Not happening.

And yeah, I know what "Al Dente" means. I took Italian for 2 years in high school and 3 years in middle school (plus, Spanish is my first language). In any case, the problem was probably with the oil. I've tasted pasta with a good olive oil and it tasted great. But this was like one of those lunches they give you on a field trip, so they obviously weren't going to use high-quality stuff.

I generally put some sort of pasta sauce on it, but the thing is that I don't mind eating it plain (I generally get the whole grain pasta since it's the same price as the regular one, so maybe that makes a difference). But I only eat it plain if I don't have any sauce available. Now, if I were cooking for guests (or a girl), then of course I'd use sauce.

I guess the sarcasm was lost in my post a little, it's not like it was a life or death issue, I'm not actually 'offended.'

But it probably was the oil anyway, often times places cheap out and they use Virgin olive oil and not Extra Virgin, which while it does sound like #firstworldproblems, Virgin oil tastes awful.

Man, what a crazy day in Staten Island. I had work at the mall 9-4 today and around 11 there was some smoke lingering in New Springville (the neighborhood the mall is located in). From there it got worse and worse...smoke filled the mall but surprisingly we were not told to evacuate. I stepped outside for a half-hour break to get a look at what was going on and the smoke was uneatable. When I finally left at 4, it seemed things weren't getting any better, and thankfully I got on the bus back to Brooklyn. One time I did NOT like being in Staten Island.

Apparently a brush fire started in Arthur Kill, and with the winds high today, it was no surprise that smoke was all over. Everyone said that someone must have started the fire.

I guess the sarcasm was lost in my post a little, it's not like it was a life or death issue, I'm not actually 'offended.'

But it probably was the oil anyway, often times places cheap out and they use Virgin olive oil and not Extra Virgin, which while it does sound like #firstworldproblems, Virgin oil tastes awful.

Well, I'm not too good with sarcasm. Not as bad as VG8 would have you believe, but I thought you were actually being serious.

Man, what a crazy day in Staten Island. I had work at the mall 9-4 today and around 11 there was some smoke lingering in New Springville (the neighborhood the mall is located in). From there it got worse and worse...smoke filled the mall but surprisingly we were not told to evacuate. I stepped outside for a half-hour break to get a look at what was going on and the smoke was uneatable. When I finally left at 4, it seemed things weren't getting any better, and thankfully I got on the bus back to Brooklyn. One time I did NOT like being in Staten Island.

Apparently a brush fire started in Arthur Kill, and with the winds high today, it was no surprise that smoke was all over. Everyone said that someone must have started the fire.

Yeah, I heard about that too. I first thought it was by that area in Great Kills (that Gateway Recreation Center or whatever), and then my dad came home and told me it was by the mall.

Was walking around the city today and boy are the streets FILTHY... We need a good rain storm and bad... Stuff just spilled all over the place. The city (Manhattan) has become filthier especially with all of the tourists flocking here. The store owners should be forced to take care of their sidewalks like they do in other places where they use hot water and soap to wash down the sidewalks. I could be noticing it more also because the sidewalks in Riverdale are relatively clean... And Gorgor thinks I want to live in the city... Ha!! <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

A thread to list random thoughts you have been thinking.

The random thoughts should be suitable for all members.

Random Thought: It's that time of year again - darkness by 5:45pm.

Well, its that other time of year again. Warmer days and darkness by 8 pm :ph34r:.]

Anyone hear that their might be a drout soon? already drout conditions in some parts of NJ.

Ever wanted to be moderator of a forum? Now you can!

http://transitjeopardygames.webs.com/

Join here and participate in the upcoming moderator contest! You can also play great jeopardy games! We are a growing community and find it necessary to find a second moderator. Hope to see you there!

If a mod here can tell me if I can create a separate thread for this, please do.

Edited by ThrexxBus