R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, New Flyer Xcelsior said:

There are R179 (A) sets in revenue service.

No shit. Thanks for that insight.

When a new set is getting prepped for entry into revenue service, it has to pass a simulated revenue test run which involves stopping at each station and opening the doors on the wrong side. There are also “R-179 TEST TRAIN” posters placed on the door windows in a futile attempt to get the public not to try and board the train once it stops. That is what I was referring to.

Edited by Amtrak706

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I found an interesting r179 video on YouTube. I left NYC a few days ago (summer vacation) and I'm still out of town and I found this r179 video with the M trains running on CPW?? That's kind of odd. Lol!!

There was massive weekend service changes, this weekend.

Edited by junjun441

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I found an interesting r179 video on YouTube. I left NYC a few days ago (summer vacation) and I'm still out of town and I found this r179 video with the M trains running on CPW?? That's kind of odd. Lol!!

Anyways enjoy the clip.

Bro, the (M) trains in that video are all R160s. The only R179 is the (C) towards the end.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

39 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

I’m pretty sure he was referring to the R179 on the (C) at the end of the video.

Exactly. I was referring to the C. Although, I was surprised to see all those r160 M trains running on CPW.

9 hours ago, junjun441 said:

There was massive weekend service changes, this weekend.

I'll be in back in NYC. Will the M continue to run along CPW in future weekends?

Also, thanks @mine248 for sharing the latest update on the 10 car r179's. How many 10 car r179's are in total. (delivered plus testing/in service)?

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

I’m pretty sure he was referring to the R179 on the (C) at the end of the video.

See below.

46 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Exactly. I was referring to the C. Although, I was surprised to see all those r160 M trains running on CPW.

I'll be in back in NYC. Will the M continue to run along CPW in future weekends?

Also, thanks @mine248 for sharing the latest update on the 10 car r179's. How many 10 car r179's are in total. (delivered plus testing/in service)?

My mistake. I misread your post. As for the (M) along CPW, it only ran up there as a supplement due to the (1)(2)(3) GO. If anyone is wondering, no, it will not become a normal thing.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I just checked the weekender. It looks like the (M) will be running via CPW again! It mainly has to do with the (1)/(2)/(3) trains not running at all. The (2) is diverted to Lex AVE line. The (1) terminates at 137th street. The (3) does not run at all. It’s good to see the (C) gets some help in the weekend.

51 minutes ago, junjun441 said:

I just checked the weekender. It looks like the (M) will be running via CPW again! It mainly has to do with the (1)/(2)/(3) trains not running at all. The (2) is diverted to Lex AVE line. The (1) terminates at 137th street. The (3) does not run at all. It’s good to see the (C) gets some help in the weekend.

That’s the whole reason. Another reason is that the (M) is already officially running to/from Midtown on weekends. It’s cheaper to reroute it over CPW than running the (B) (outside of those Yankee Stadium special showcases) or increase headways on the (C).

Edited by Jemorie

3 hours ago, junjun441 said:

Yes, one more weekend for the (M) via CPW local. Agreed that it’s good to see the (C) getting help on the weekend.

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

That’s the whole reason. Another reason is that the (M) is already officially running to/from Midtown on weekends. It’s cheaper to reroute it over CPW than running the (B) (outside of those Yankee Stadium special showcases) or increase headways on the (C).

Conveniently enough, this past weekends M to 145 was piggybacking with another GO: CI Bound F trains via the E line from 36th St. Queens to 47/50 Rockefeller Center Manhattan.

In other words, the M would not be able to get back to Met from 96/2.

I had my first ride on a 10 car R179 yesterday.  Waited at Chambers St. for one in either direction.  Got set #2 bound for Lefferts Blvd. Rode back uptown, on the return trip it was bound for Far Rock.  I was thinking of staying on, but I had enough for one day.  Made my way home from Fulton St.  I can't complain.  Good acceleration and seemed much faster than the old stuff.

My only pet peeve is the set-up of the announcement program.  The policy, in both computer and manual announcements, is to announce the termination point once it gets into that borough.  So in Manhattan going southbound, it announces "Brooklyn Bound A train" and in Brooklyn it announces "Queens Bound A train".  It doesn't say the terminal till 80th St. because that is the first stop in Queens.  I will say there are excellent announcements by the computer all the way till Rockaway Blvd.  But......if you get on in Manhattan and are getting off past Rockaway Blvd., you want to know the trains' destination.   Where you embark, you might miss the scrolling sign on the outside, and/or you may not be entering at a door with the FIND.  It would be nice for the computer to be set up with the destination announced from 59th St. on.  If they don't want to do that, announce the destination at Euclid, either via computer or advise all c/r's to announce it manually.  This would also be helpful to sight impaired passengers.  Once the winter comes, it would be more comfortable for passengers to change trains at Euclid instead of Rockaway Blvd.