R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

I’m fine with them running R46 trains on the (C). What I don’t like is the operation of trains of varying length on the same route, due to the inflexibility of the car sets. R46 cars cannot be operated in trains of 480 feet long like the R32s and R179s can. They can operate six-car trains of R46s on the (C), but that’s 450 feet long, not 480. I just don’t like the idea of them running both 480 and 600-foot trains on the (C) because how are the riders supposed to know if the next train coming will be much shorter length than the last one? You don’t want a bunch of riders stampeding down the platform in order to be able to board the train.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I’m fine with them running R46 trains on the (C). What I don’t like is the operation of trains of varying length on the same route, due to the inflexibility of the car sets. R46 cars cannot be operated in trains of 480 feet long like the R32s and R179s can. They can operate six-car trains of R46s on the (C), but that’s 450 feet long, not 480. I just don’t like the idea of them running both 480 and 600-foot trains on the (C) because how are the riders supposed to know if the next train coming will be much shorter length than the last one? You don’t want a bunch of riders stampeding down the platform in order to be able to board the train.

I am wondering  why the MTA decided to put r46's on the C with all the issues happening in 168th.

If the MTA wanted to gradually make the C full length (although the C won't become 100% full length until the r211's), they could've just lengthen the r32's to 10 car trains. The only thing is that the MTA would have to keep more than 110 r32's cars until the r211's.

49 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I am wondering  why the MTA decided to put r46's on the C with all the issues happening in 168th.

If the MTA wanted to gradually make the C full length (although the C won't become 100% full length until the r211's), they could've just lengthen the r32's to 10 car trains. The only thing is that the MTA would have to keep more than 110 r32's cars until the r211's.

Then what will they do with the R179 8 car units?! They resolved the “issue” at 168th with the switching jobs being added. They are keeping a handful of R32’s they’re being stored for the time being while poor performance cars are getting stripped for parts and labor. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

They should have never ordered as many 8 car R179’s. All the cars that touched 8th Ave/ Fulton Street should have been 10 car sets. They certainly were not thinking about the future with this one. 

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Then what will they do with the R179 8 car units?! They resolved the “issue” at 168th with the switching jobs being added. They are keeping a handful of R32’s they’re being stored for the time being while poor performance cars are getting stripped for parts and labor. 

Stay on the C until the r211's and then to go the G. Right now there aren't enough 10 car or 600ft trains to make the C 100% full length.

50 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

They should have never ordered as many 8 car R179’s. All the cars that touched 8th Ave/ Fulton Street should have been 10 car sets. They certainly were not thinking about the future with this one. 

I agree 100% and they should have ordered more than 300 cars to eliminate the car shortage in the B division and to prepare for increase ridership.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I agree 100% and they should have ordered more than 300 cars to eliminate the car shortage in the B division and to prepare for increase ridership.

definitely. right now, there are JUST enough 8-car units to fully deal with ENY's 480' train restrictions for the (J)(M)(Z)(L) (that is INCLUDING if the 8-car units are transferred off of the (C)). If the (G) is planned to be 480' trains, then MORE 8-car trains will be needed (might be dealt with during the R211 order). The (M) via 6 Av was never planned when the R160s were coming in (nor was it expected to be so popular, starting with 6TPH during rush hours and now at 10TPH during rush hours), hence why the R42s still would have been around if the R44s would not have had structural problems and prematurely retired. 

Now that CBTC is coming online, the spare factor has to be increased on all CBTC lines, leaving few spare cars for the non-CBTC lines (in this case, the (J)(Z)).

Edited by darkstar8983

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

yes they should have but if they did they would have had the same type of bugs as the rest of the 179 fleet. not to mention the fact that bombardier was already years late with getting the order delivered. 

1 hour ago, Coney Island Av said:

yes they should have but if they did they would have had the same type of bugs as the rest of the 179 fleet. not to mention the fact that bombardier was already years late with getting the order delivered. 

That was another big mistake from the MTA. They should have chosen either Kawasaki or Alstom for the r179's in addition to ordering way more than 300 cars. Both companies did a better job with the r160's than Bombardier did with the r142's.

A lot of the r179 related issues would have been averted, if the MTA had made the right decisions.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

On 2/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, RR503 said:

[citation needed] on them dialing performance back. We've had the same signal design standards (=same max acceleration profile) since the mid 1990s. I suspect this was either a really good TO who knew how to play with 2 shots to make them work just right, or a broken speedo

You're not going to get one considering that this an internal software adjustment on performance in the upper limits of the speed range. Having observed NTT train performance over the years, I can say that each NTT when new were hitting higher top speeds over the same sections of track, consistently 5-8 mph higher. The new tech stuff all came out of factory with 55 mph as the balancing speed on level track. Nothing does much better than 45-50 after a while. Same concept as removing field shunts from the DC equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, it does look much better. The American flag has always looked completely stupid on there. The MTA logo, fine, but why we needed to continue the post-9/11 obsession with flags on every possible surface is beyond me.

For context, remember that this is how the R143s were specced and initially delivered. It's also why the flags are below the logo on these cars, since they were haphazardly added later. Looks a lot better this way.

nyctr143.jpg

Edited by MHV9218

6 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Lol, it does look much better. The American flag has always looked completely stupid on there. The MTA logo, fine, but why we needed to continue the post-9/11 obsession with flags on every possible surface is beyond me.

For context, remember that this is how the R143s were specced and initially delivered. It's also why the flags are below the logo on these cars, since they were haphazardly added later. Looks a lot better this way.

nyctr143.jpg

Besides, if we have to have the flag on the front, I prefer the R143 layout more than the R160/179. Thank god the R211s will look different.

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

My friend told me some R179s were pulled again and some R42s back in service again. Any conformation this is true?

No tweets about this - no service disruptions - no news. I'm inclined to say "your friend" is making this up.

4 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

He saw on an instagram post but idk how true it is. I'll post it later though. 

Just because someone posted a picture of a R42 on Instagram, doesn’t mean it was taken recently. Anyways, I’m sure if they actually re-entered service, you would’ve heard about it on one of the threads by now, but obviously no one said anything. Carry on.

Edited by SimplyMyself

Why choose Bombardier to make the R179s? Choose Kawasaki or Alstom instead. Bombardier f**ked up all the cars that they made. R68A is getting retired 10 years early, R110B cars burned up and got retired after only 7 years of service, R142s had issues while testing, and now the R179s...