SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

14 hours ago, Calvin said:

Word on the rails on Astoria was that the (W) was 10 mins late on one of the trains during the PM rush hour. 

- There was a gap at Ditmars Blvd that 4 trains right behind each other is a mix of R46 and R68s. All of them were (N) trains and left as (N) trains. The 68 (N)  train just left as is instead of changing the 86 St rollsign to Whitehall St and to (W) that the next train was at last, a R160 as a (W) and left as is. 

The remaining R160's should remain on (N) runs that interline with the (W) to reduce the need for rollsign changes and confusion.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This happened yesterday. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but from what I saw, my (C) train stopped at 135th in the exact manner it would normally - and the doors didn't open. It stopped, then started moving again. I think this one was the operator's fault, seems they forgot to open the doors, especially considering it was normal at every other stop. Might also be something relating to the R32s in general.

5 minutes ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

This happened yesterday. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but from what I saw, my (C) train stopped at 135th in the exact manner it would normally - and the doors didn't open. It stopped, then started moving again. I think this one was the operator's fault, seems they forgot to open the doors, especially considering it was normal at every other stop. Might also be something relating to the R32s in general.

That reminds me of one time I was on the (3). The train got to Grand Army Plaza, and people got up to leave the train. The conductor made the typical announcements and the train left without delay.

Notice that I never mentioned the doors opening. (Before you ask, this was within the past few years. I'm not old enough to remember Redbirds on the (3).)

7 hours ago, Lex said:

That reminds me of one time I was on the (3). The train got to Grand Army Plaza, and people got up to leave the train. The conductor made the typical announcements and the train left without delay.

Notice that I never mentioned the doors opening. (Before you ask, this was within the past few years. I'm not old enough to remember Redbirds on the (3).)

Happened to me once on a (G) at Carroll Street. All the other stations had the normal procedure.

23 hours ago, Jemorie said:

@Union Tpke, I stumbled upon that Rockaway Park (S) shuttle article page on Wikipedia and read its history section. Does anybody who are members of that site even aware that the summer weekend extension to/from Rockaway Blvd is permanent or no?

It's not permanent, but it ran it for the whole summer this year as opposed to only part of it. It's a great service that people are surprisingly unaware of. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

It's not permanent, but it ran it for the whole summer this year as opposed to only part of it. It's a great service that people are surprisingly unaware of. 

But if they continue this on weekends every summer from next year and onwards, you’d have to consider that permanent. Generally, they’ve been doing this since Summer 2016, even if not all the previous years were for the whole summer. That’s why I feel Wikipedia should be more simplistic unless the (MTA) has something else up their sleeves in the coming years.

23 hours ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

This happened to me at grand ave on an R160 (R) train as well. I tried to tell the t/o but he pulled off.

3 hours ago, Jemorie said:

But if they continue this on weekends every summer from next year and onwards, you’d have to consider that permanent. Generally, they’ve been doing this since Summer 2016, even if not all the previous years were for the whole summer. That’s why I feel Wikipedia should be more simplistic unless the (MTA) has something else up their sleeves in the coming years.

Oh, I thought you meant permanent as in year-round. I suppose it is a semi-permanent summer change, but they've never said that, so probably best not to speculate.

45 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Oh, I thought you meant permanent as in year-round. I suppose it is a semi-permanent summer change, but they've never said that, so probably best not to speculate.

35 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Precisely why I have not added it in that way.

Yeah that's true. I just thought we could have shorten the sentence instead of repeating "the (MTA) implemented the Rockaway Blvd summer weekend extension of the Rockaway Park Shuttle" over and over again in the following years to come. But yeah, they never directly did say it was permanent. Guess it's another wait and see game. Given how Wikipedia is very strict when it comes to direct official sources from a particular agency or company.

Edited by Jemorie

I just love the convenience of the (M) running via 6th Ave and up to 96th street on the weekends. It’s a shame that once the (L) train construction is over everything is going to go back to normal with the lack of direct uptown service for North Brooklyn residents. The (M) I was on Sunday around 3:30pm was packed even up along 2nd Ave. A lot of people got off at 72nd street which is where I got off too, so I suspect that this temporary extension of the (M) has created ridership to grow a bit. And after so many months of having no proper signage the stations indicate (M) service to 96th street which helps. So it just makes me wonder if people are going to fight against the weekend cutback of the (M) to Essex Street once the (L) resumes it’s normal service to Manhattan. 

40 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (M) I was on Sunday around 3:30pm was packed even up along 2nd Ave.

Was the (Q) running up 2nd ave this weekend?

41 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So it just makes me wonder if people are going to fight against the weekend cutback of the (M) to Essex Street once the (L) resumes it’s normal service to Manhattan. 

I am sure people will complain. However, what really should happen is the (M) should be extended to Forest Hills on weekends once CBTC work is complete. QBL needs the second local more than 2nd ave needs a 6th ave train. 

55 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I just love the convenience of the (M) running via 6th Ave and up to 96th street on the weekends. It’s a shame that once the (L) train construction is over everything is going to go back to normal with the lack of direct uptown service for North Brooklyn residents. The (M) I was on Sunday around 3:30pm was packed even up along 2nd Ave. A lot of people got off at 72nd street which is where I got off too, so I suspect that this temporary extension of the (M) has created ridership to grow a bit. And after so many months of having no proper signage the stations indicate (M) service to 96th street which helps. So it just makes me wonder if people are going to fight against the weekend cutback of the (M) to Essex Street once the (L) resumes it’s normal service to Manhattan. 

They need to make the (M) to 96th permanent on weekends. It's a great help especially if you need the upper East side. 

18 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

However, what really should happen is the (M) should be extended to Forest Hills on weekends once CBTC work is complete. QBL needs the second local more than 2nd ave needs a 6th ave train. 

Absolutely 100% agree. Essex Street is a terrible terminal coming in from the east anyway.

16 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I had to wait about 15-16 minutes for an (F) yesterday morning. The 5 TPH have really made weekends unbearable on the QBL.

I really can't say it was much better before that. Such is the fate of an especially long route with a rather short express run (when compared to the route's total length)...

16 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I had to wait about 15-16 minutes for an (F) yesterday morning. The 5 TPH have really made weekends unbearable on the QBL.

Word up...Unbearable is the right term...I missed the 1st half of the Football game yesterday because my (E) ran lcl from J-Center to WTC...

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

I really can't say it was much better before that. Such is the fate of an especially long route with a rather short express run (when compared to the route's total length)...

I'm old enough to remember the (F) when it ran 8 minute headways on weekends. Those were the days. Trains...actually came. 

Worth noting that the express/local split of a route + the length of a route has little predictive ability: # of merges, dwell times, signalling, and on weekends GO volume are the metrics that matter. 

10 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Absolutely 100% agree. Essex Street is a terrible terminal coming in from the east anyway.

I agree as well even though I think Essex street is a much better terminal than Myrtle Ave-Broadway which was the terminal for all weekend (M) service before the extension.The (M) is just more useful than the (J) is since the (M) goes uptown. It was even proven before the (M) ‘s introduction along 6th Ave that more people desired service towards Midtown than towards lower Manhattan. Plus the (J) has to do somewhat of a back track if for example you needed to catch the (A) or (C) going uptown where you’d get off at Fulton whereas the (M) you would actually be going uptown already where you’d get off at West 4th. 

18 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Even Chambers Street is a better option. Everyone who needs the additional options gets shafted by having only the (F). Good forbid they also do those unidirectional reroutes of the (F) via Cranberry Street.

4 hours ago, CenSin said:

Even Chambers Street is a better option. Everyone who needs the additional options gets shafted by having only the (F). Good forbid they also do those unidirectional reroutes of the (F) via Cranberry Street.

And unidirectional reroutes of the (A) and (C).

Despite me and @RR503 having that debate little while ago about weekend (M) service, I honestly still can’t see it being extended out to Midtown due to ongoing full closures of construction and/or work under traffic on other trunk lines that are not Queens Blvd. The only other way I could see weekend (M) service to/from Midtown is if CBTC finally comes into play across the whole system or if they limit the constant (A)(C)(F) Manhattan-Brooklyn reroutes. Can’t have the (A)(C)(F)(M) running on the same tracks between West 4 and Broadway-Lafayette.

I personally feel like the only reason why weekend (M) service short turns at Essex (outside of the 14th Street Tunnel shutdowns) is because it is not a Nassau Street Line train? Hence you see the heavier sort of crowding on uptown (F)  trains at Delancey-Essex lower level. But they really should sometime in the future if the (M) really can’t access 6th Avenue.

34 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

I personally feel like the only reason why weekend (M) service short turns at Essex (outside of the 14th Street Tunnel shutdowns) is because it is not a Nassau Street Line train? Hence you see the heavier sort of crowding on uptown (F)  trains at Delancey-Essex lower level. But they really should sometime in the future if the (M) really can’t access 6th Avenue.

I mean, it’s not really a 2 Avenue route either, but it goes there anyway.

31 minutes ago, CenSin said:

I mean, it’s not really a 2 Avenue route either, but it goes there anyway.

That’s not even what I meant though and you know that. The (M) turning at Chambers instead of Essex or be rerouted from Queens Blvd to SAS are two different things. Constant work under traffic every Saturday and Sunday limits the amount of trains per hour on any trunk line to as far as 15 or 18. That, in addition to what’s going on with the (L), is the only reason why the (M) is running to Midtown and the Upper East Side in the first place.

At least with Essex or Chambers, the (M) does not get in the way with the rerouted lines from their normal corridors, as I just mentioned earlier.

Edited by Jemorie