SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, VIP said:

The smaller text font sizes came about around 2002-2004 during their SMS. The same with the R32’s. The smaller font signs were added if the scrolling was tough, stuck, or simply if the signs were really dirty and not legible. The larger font/abbreviation rollsigns are from the 80’s 

Come to think of it, the larger ones are extremely similar to the R68A originals / R68 1988 replacements. I wonder if it's a similar order.

4 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Hi! Does anyone know if you can transfer to the downtown (6) at Canal St? I know that with some lines, the second-to-last stop is exit-only in the terminal's direction.

Thanks!

@Jova42R

Canal St. (6) is not a second-to-last-stop because you can continue southbound at Brooklyn Bridge by changing to the (4) or (5).

Edited by Italianstallion

I find it rather odd that I'd sooner go to Fulton Street as an alternative to Nostrand Avenue than I would head over to Brighton, which is physically closer to me.

Then again, there are people who are physically closer to Brighton and opt for Nostrand Avenue...

On 12/22/2019 at 11:46 AM, Jova42R said:

Hi! Does anyone know if you can transfer to the downtown (6) at Canal St? I know that with some lines, the second-to-last stop is exit-only in the terminal's direction.

Thanks!

@Jova42R

The only two stations that I know of that are like that is 145th street on the (3) and 238th on the (1) .

44 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The only two stations that I know of that are like that is 145th street on the (3) and 238th on the (1) .

238th on the (1) I think is available to enter northbound (IIRC they never removed the entrance after the Manhattan bound platform rehabilitation project). As for other stations like this, I think Dyckman (A) is also entrance only.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

238th on the (1) I think is available to enter northbound (IIRC they never removed the entrance after the Manhattan bound platform rehabilitation project). As for other stations like this, I think Dyckman (A) is also entrance only.

Incorrect about Dyckman Street on the (A) .

3 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

They never changed it? I think with OMNY their going to remove that turnstile since the next phase is going to 242nd St.

4 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

I wonder if that's the set that runs all day as opposed to just the AM and PM rush.

It runs all day. It was 11:51AM crossing towards Broad St. running late though because an R179 (J) crossed in the same direction 2 mins later 

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Broadway Junction and Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street on the (A)(C) Lines and Tremont Avenue on the (B)(D) Lines. All three issues were northbound.

The CPW local must’ve been a real shitshow. Whenever the (B) and (C) service goes south in quality they have a tendency to pull all the trains from service.

The ripple effect that happens with the rest of the B-division after that isn’t much fun either. It’s always interesting to see something silly like an F via Crosstown because an R needed to go via Bridge/6th Avenue because a B needed to go via Broadway/63rd Street because a D needed to go to 168th via local because a C needed to run to 207 via express because it was late from the incident in Brooklyn and because of an A from the Rockaways that got turned at Euclid.

Did I mention that Q train that went via Whitehall and Broadway local because of that B via Broadway and that R via 6th? It might have ended up in Astoria or something which probably made the W stop running also. All this from an incident along Fulton Street in Brooklyn and the Grand Concourse in the Bronx.

* These reroutes were all hypothetical by the way.