SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

A useful heuristic for determining which train to take when a terminal serves multiple routes that go to the same place: get on the train with a conductor in it. Chances are, the train won't leave as scheduled if nobody is onboard.
(Decided to take the (F) over the (D).)

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Damn, you mean they got rid of the original R62/R62A rollsigns on 1917/1918? That's a huge bummer. 

Yes, unfortunately. The lighting is new and seen the signs that are single lined with Bronx as Bx.

So many single units at Westchester got the new features except for the 1934 consist and 1943-4/7-9

Edited by Calvin

On 11/22/2019 at 11:50 PM, paulrivera said:

An R62 (4) is highly likely (perhaps multiple R62s) since the (5) is 100% Jerome equipment for this GO and they might end up running a bit thin.

A SMEE train on the (2) .... ehhh.... That'll be more of a coin flip.

Actually there were 6 sets on the (2) today. I was very pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Actually there were 6 sets on the (2) today. I was very pleasantly surprised.

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Well, I didn't find any R62 (4) trains but I caught an 160 (R) and 46 (F) train with relative ease so the day wasn't a complete waste. 

Their was an couple of R142A (5) trains but that wasn't foam worthy IMO cause they weren't traveling to Flatbush or on the WPR/Dyre line. 

Those yardmasters sure do love to keep us on our toes.

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

1917 has the circle/diamond light thingy, 1918 does not.

Don't think 1917 ever got that LED, actually. There's a chance it was installed at the last minute this year but I never saw it. Anyway, I just meant the rollsigns themselves: 1917 had a rare as-delivered Helvetica side bullet, and 1918 had an original R62 and original R62A set of signs (smaller font for the bullets). Huge shame to lose those.

Pictured below are the original boxes on 1918 and 1917. Note the two types of original bullets, one in Akzidenz and one in Helvetica. On most cars these were replaced around 1988/1989 with rollsigns that included the 9-13 trains and had lettered "express" designations instead of diamonds. The new rollsigns had a larger sized number within the bullet–these are the originals. Somehow these cars kept them. 1918 also had an original R62 box, which must have come from some replacement.

49116984926_2b2e406b0f_b.jpg

49117179852_eb81a6a087_b.jpg

12 hours ago, Calvin said:

Yes, unfortunately. The lighting is new and seen the signs that are single lined with Bronx as Bx.

So many single units at Westchester got the new features except for the 1934 consist and 1943-4/7-9

This is such a waste of money, and the new signs look terrible. Not to mention that the front rolls are weirdly lit, so there's a section on them that's too bright and makes it difficult to read. Another dumb decision by the MTA.

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Don't think 1917 ever got that LED, actually. There's a chance it was installed at the last minute this year but I never saw it.

Yeah that was my train on the (6) on Thursday, so the LED on 1917 must be recent. I was totally unaware that those cars had original rollsigns so I just though the single line signs were normal.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Yeah that was my train on the (6) on Thursday, so the LED on 1917 must be recent. I was totally unaware that those cars had original rollsigns so I just though the single line signs were normal.

To be clear, 1918 did have an original R62 sign with single-line Akzidenz text. The new rolls are single-line Helvetica. I'll have to see the trains in person but if you saw it that recently it's possible it was the original sign on 1918, just the 62 part. Up to Calvin's account.

Has anyone noticed that the Brooklyn IRT has been pulling out of Nevins Street northbound much faster than before as of late? Before, they would crawl until the entire train is fully out altogether, but now, they leave at regular speed. I noticed this on the (4)(5) more than on the (2)(3), however.

Edited by Jemorie

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently, theres going to be a "Hop the Turnstyle" event this Friday where according to the ad it says "don't pay your fare...sabatoge the machines..."

Have people really lost their dam minds?

Translate it to Grocery Shopping

On November 29th, Nobody pays. This is a call for a strike against the cost of living

Take all the food you want, walk past the cashier and intervene when you see the cashier "harassing" others.

This is giving both progressive and the city a bad name.

4 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Translate it to Grocery Shopping

On November 29th, Nobody pays. This is a call for a strike against the cost of living

Take all the food you want, walk past the cashier and intervene when you see the cashier "harassing" others.

This is giving both progressive and the city a bad name.

Ah, crime. My favorite form of activism.

7 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Has anyone noticed that the Brooklyn IRT has been pulling out of Nevins Street northbound much faster than before as of late? Before, they would crawl until the entire train is fully out altogether, but now, they leave at regular speed. I noticed this on the (4)(5) more than on the (2)(3), however.

Unless the speed restriction signs have been removed (doubtful) supervision now knows where to hang out😀. Write up time. Carry on.

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Unless the speed restriction signs have been removed (doubtful) supervision now knows where to hang out😀. Write up time. Carry on.

I've noticed a few spots throughout the system where T/O's are getting a bit too comfortable challenging timers. All it takes is for one signal to clear a hair slower to end your career due to careless underestimation. I don't care if I've been on the job for 25+ years and know my line inside and out without ever having suffered a safety-related incident on my employee record. No amount of experience would offer me the chance to operate in an audacious manner. Signals have a greater tendency to malfunction with age, and since it isn't clear if they've been inspected appropriately at periodic intervals, I find it reckless to assume they will clear because "you know they will, as you've seen how they behave numerous times already."

Lol. This <F> train got to Church Avenue 2½ minutes later than yesterday, to 7 Avenue 2½ minutes later, and to Jay Street–MetroTech 4 minutes later despite leaving the terminal at 7:07 AM on the dot (which yesterday’s train did not). I did notice how quickly the train operator put on the brakes entering stations after a few stops—probably a newbie.