SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

When I got one in January it was signed as an (N)

I don't think he was referring to the electronic roll sign, which can be changed at will.  The older roll signs were definitely had an order and it does take time to roll to the proper sign

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today on the (A) train, the ppl who go through the train offering food to the homeless.... Well today is the first time I seen someone actually take the food. It was a homeless man and surprisedly, the meal was an rotisserie chicken, I thought the food they had was like Turkey and Cheese sandwiches or something along those lines. 

From what I could see, there was no sides and it was in a see though box, similar in size to the Chinese food box when you only order french fries.

Edited by trainfan22

So, it seems that the Shuttle also got the SMS treatment like the (1) and (6) lines. On units 1935, 1936, 1939 and 1955, the bonnets are repainted and rollsigns were changed to single-lined helvetica type. Sucks that the originality is almost gone. 

Edited by Calvin

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

So, it seems that the Shuttle also got the SMS treatment like the (1) and (6) lines. On units 1935, 1936, 1939 and 1955, the bonnets are repainted and rollsigns were changed to single-lined helvetica type. Sucks that the originality is almost gone. 

Yeah, real shame. The original signs were in perfectly fine condition and better-designed. Whoever thought that colored for the "Express" was a good idea needs to return to finger paintings, looks awful. 1955 ironically still wears the ancient 1980s "riding between cars" sticker but new rolls and paint!

On 6/17/2020 at 11:42 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

I wish I could make this up.

103992897_1936113379855623_7102838288247

104419209_1936113409855620_2868884838178

Oh s***

I just realized that this account is one of my friends. I just told him about this and his was laughing his ass off. 

I barely use twiter nowadays so I don't really know much of what happens there anymore

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

15 minutes ago, R42sDaBest said:

So I decided to go out and do a bit of railfanning today on the (7) and I was at 74th St and then this a**hole of an operator on the Manhatten Bound Platform flipped me off..

Tbh I was kind of expecting this to happen at some point during my times of railfanning.

Well if you recorded him doing it, it might blow up like Fan Railer's M9 video LOL

Is the MTA bolting emergency exits? Yesterday I went to grab the (E) at Jamaica Center and this couple tried to open the emergency exit to leave and couldn't. Then today I entered Woodhaven Blvd via the stairs at 92nd Ave and 2 MTA workers looked like they were working on the emergency door with a drill, like they were bolting it. 

51 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Is the MTA bolting emergency exits? Yesterday I went to grab the (E) at Jamaica Center and this couple tried to open the emergency exit to leave and couldn't. Then today I entered Woodhaven Blvd via the stairs at 92nd Ave and 2 MTA workers looked like they were working on the emergency door with a drill, like they were bolting it. 

Looks to me like they don't want passengers exiting through the emergency gates, but through the turnstiles. Disabled people are another matter, though. They need to use these exits.

16 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think the MTA ever announced such plan. I recall  someone on this forum a while back suggesting the idea of a swap. 

No, there was talk that this was an actual MTA plan- not a railfan suggestion.

1 hour ago, shiznit1987 said:

Are you sure they're actually bolting them? The reason I'm skeptical is because them doing so would be a major liability issue, on several fronts (emergency egress, disabled access, people with large/bulky items). 

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

No, there was talk that this was an actual MTA plan- not a railfan suggestion.

Are you sure they're actually bolting them? The reason I'm skeptical is because them doing so would be a major liability issue, on several fronts (emergency egress, disabled access, people with large/bulky items). 

I think the plan might be to disable emergency exits that are not near the main token booth. Both the entrance at Jamaica Center and the one at Woodhaven Blvd I used were far away from the main token booth. I wonder if these kinds of entrances will eventually see the return of HEETs

11 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

In regards to the "fastest train to Coney Island" discussion, someone once took each of the 4 lines that go to CI from 34th Street and it was proven that the (N) was the fastest. IIRC the (F) was the slowest, this was years ago.

the (D) and (F) (the local) would most likely be on par with each other in regards to travel time between 34th-CI. this is because similarly to the (F), the (D) zig zags, curves, and has more stops on West End than the (N) on Sea Beach (albeit only slightly less than the (Q) on Brighton), and doesn't fully go express until 36 St. 

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

In regards to the "fastest train to Coney Island" discussion, someone once took each of the 4 lines that go to CI from 34th Street and it was proven that the (N) was the fastest. IIRC the (F) was the slowest, this was years ago.

I thought that person (from last year, not years ago) said the <F> was fastest due to no bridge interlining and limited stops.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express
clarification