SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

19 minutes ago, Calvin said:

(G) trains are coming back running on the (F) line south between Church Av and Coney Island-Stillwell Av on the first two weeks of August weekend. 

Wonder if the consist will be a mix of 10-car R160s out of Jamaica Av. X storage and C.I's R46 as an 8 car train. 

Not exactly, for some reason they're splitting the (G) in two sections, with one running between Court Sq & Bedford-Nostrand and the other between 4th Av-9th St & Coney Island. Would've made more sense to call the southern portion the (S), but it is what it is.

Side note: Why did they stop running the (F) to Ozone Park overnight during this type of service change? Seems like a waste to have both the (A), (F) and Lefferts (S) running all at once.

Edited by Lawrence St

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/18/2021 at 10:30 PM, Lawrence St said:

So are the R32's perm sidelined from service now? The (C) still isn't at full capacity and I have no idea where they're gonna get the sets to run the expanded service without the R32's.

The New pick is not in effect yet. And there’s a massive shortage of crews. They can also run full service without the R32’s. 

What is with the headways on the (C) it’s ridiculous! I hope they run some (A) ,s local .today I wanted one and it was 22 minutes away! 

Regarding  the (G) change next month, it doesn’t say on the MTA site that it’s split. Where did you see that?

Edited by Abba

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Not exactly, for some reason they're splitting the (G) in two sections, with one running between Court Sq & Bedford-Nostrand and the other between 4th Av-9th St & Coney Island. Would've made more sense to call the southern portion the (S), but it is what it is.

Side note: Why did they stop running the (F) to Ozone Park overnight during this type of service change? Seems like a waste to have both the (A), (F) and Lefferts (S) running all at once.

6 hours ago, Abba said:

What is with the headways on the (C) it’s ridiculous! I hope they run some (A) ,s local .today I wanted one and it was 22 minutes away! 

Regarding  the (G) change next month, it doesn’t say on the MTA site that it’s split. Where did you see that?

That split is only happening Friday night to Saturday morning for some reason. After that, it’ll be running the full route from Court Sq to Stillwell for the rest of the weekend.

1 hour ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

That split is only happening Friday night to Saturday morning for some reason. After that, it’ll be running the full route from Court Sq to Stillwell for the rest of the weekend.

It’s 95% likely to be all R160s. The (G) during these GOs has historically been operated by (F) crews

20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The Lefferts Boulevard Shuttle didn't run when the (F) went out to Lefferts. That's why the (F) was extended during overnight hours, when they had (F) trains operate via Fulton Street.

1 hour ago, OIG119 said:

Here's an announcement I heard on the (5) today.

"The electronic strip maps are in service."

Anyone else know about this? I never heard this when the old (2) and (5) strip maps were in service.

That's normally used when joining the regular (depicted) route.

I can't count how many times I've heard that announcement or its counterpart on trains or in videos.

2 hours ago, OIG119 said:

Here's an announcement I heard on the (5) today.

"The electronic strip maps are in service."

Anyone else know about this? I never heard this when the old (2) and (5) strip maps were in service.

This usually happens if the (2) or (5) is happening to be arriving at Franklin Av or a few minutes away as the ones that begins their journey to the Bronx at New Lots Av. They respond after leaving Crown Heights-Utica Av. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

So why did they change it?

Costs was probably being one factor. The runtime from Hoyt - Schermerhorn Streets to Euclid Ave isn't insignificant. It may not have been very cost efficient as to go all the way out to Lefferts and replace the shuttle. 

Additionally, ridership on the Fulton Street Line didn't warrant two service throughout the night. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Costs was probably being one factor. The runtime from Hoyt - Schermerhorn Streets to Euclid Ave isn't insignificant. It may not have been very cost efficient as to go all the way out to Lefferts and replace the shuttle. 

Additionally, ridership on the Fulton Street Line didn't warrant two service throughout the night. 

So the (F) ran to Lefferts with the (S)?

2 hours ago, Lex said:

That's normally used when joining the regular (depicted) route.

I can't count how many times I've heard that announcement or its counterpart on trains or in videos.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

This usually happens if the (2) or (5) is happening to be arriving at Franklin Av or a few minutes away as the ones that begins their journey to the Bronx at New Lots Av. They respond after leaving Crown Heights-Utica Av. 

I heard this in The Bronx on a (5) to Utica Avenue.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/tech/google-can-now-show-how-crowded-subways-are-even-down-to-what-cars-are-packed/3167875/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand&fbclid=IwAR3IkrdLW1hI_qndJf3td_phDtN8656tycrHWT165zTb5iq7Ro0XHiy4BX8

Technology seems to spread around as on the NYC Subway, you may see if your train is crowded or not. My guess is that Lexington Av will be the first to be observed with this feature. 

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So the (F) ran to Lefferts with the (S)?

I was referring to both the (A) and the (F) running during late nights on the Fulton Street line. Obviously with the current late night setup there's overlap (between the (A) and the shuttle) from Euclid to Rockaway Blvd, but outside of that it's either one of the two operating on a section of it. When the (F) ran there (in replacement of the shuttle), the overlap was between Jay Street and Rockaway Boulevard. That's 10 minute headways on average, which was excessive.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 7/22/2021 at 9:00 PM, Calvin said:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/tech/google-can-now-show-how-crowded-subways-are-even-down-to-what-cars-are-packed/3167875/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand&fbclid=IwAR3IkrdLW1hI_qndJf3td_phDtN8656tycrHWT165zTb5iq7Ro0XHiy4BX8

Technology seems to spread around as on the NYC Subway, you may see if your train is crowded or not. My guess is that Lexington Av will be the first to be observed with this feature. 

google is real late with this

On 7/21/2021 at 8:05 PM, VIP said:

The New pick is not in effect yet. And there’s a massive shortage of crews. They can also run full service without the R32’s. 

From the things I see going on, It's kind of impossible to do full service without them but the Crew shortage is helping them not use the R32's. As of now they are just in storage (120 or less cars, the rest are for scarp).

On 7/21/2021 at 3:17 AM, Vulturious said:

Welp, the FAA decided approve the LGA Airtrain again after AOC and many others have been fighting against it. How are people still thinking this is the best option?

I don’t see it happening, but it would be pretty cool if the (N)(W) got extended to LGA, let’s say to Terminal A, and have a Port Authority shuttle pick it up from there. In my opinion it’d make way more sense rather than building a whole new AirTrain system from the ground up.

What do people here think about QueensLink? It’s an unofficial proposal to route a service from Queens Blvd local over the old now-deactivated LIRR Rockaways ROW and link up with the (A) and replace the shuttle to Rockaway Park.

I think it would be good to give Rockaway Park riders a full time single seat to the city, simplify the A service and allow the rush hour trains to serve Ozone Park and Far Rock. I also imagine having to turn less trains at 71 Av might relieve the local service a bit? Although the QueensLink site by vanshnookraven proposes extending the G to 71. Not sure how three locals would operate without running all three at lower capacities.

However, it would be removing half of the QBL local service at 67 Av and 71 Av, because the proposed line branches off just after 63 Dr. I don’t fully know the ridership patterns, so I’m not sure how much this reduction in service would impact ridership at that station.

If you have any other criticisms or endorsements of this idea, please do share! I’m fascinated in what people with more knowledge of the system have to say about it.