SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Late with this (so much going on in recent years), but two years ago,  the current BMT/IND service surpassed the original Chrystie St. service pattern, which lasted 18 years and 5 months (11-26-67 to 4-26-86, when we entered 18 years of reconstruction with temporary service change patterns lasting years at a time! Serious problems, with intermittent smaller [but growing] shutdowns had begun four years before that! )
Growing up in the Chrystie era, that seemed universal, and forever. Then, when all the shutdowns and reroutes began, it seemed we'd never get back to normal. (Remember when the Canal St. bridge tracks seemed abandoned forever; with at one point, the track bed broken up?)

When it was finally finished, 2-04, the new pattern on the directly affected lines was totally different ((B)/(D) swap), but did make sense as to simplifying the service. The public seems to be fine with it (where the original Chrystie plan had been forced on them against their wishes. The new pattern has some elements of the old pre-Chrystie layout, such as the full time (Q) Bway service and the two weekday services to Astoria, with both Queens lines having local service to lower Manhattan).

I back then imagined the day when that would be as long established as the old Chrystie pattern, or if a new round of bridge problems would surface when the work they did would "wear off"; but the time flew, and the bridge work seems to be holding up this time (for now), and so we've passed the duration of the old pattern,  and for the forseeable future.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone confirm this new change on the (J) train programs: 

When biking over the Williamsburg Bridge, I saw an R179 (J) train running to Manhattan in the morning and said 

(J) - Jamaica Skip-Stop

(J) - Broadway Local

(J) - Broad St

Instead of:

(J) - Skip-Stop

(J) - Jamaica Exp

(J) - Broad St

This past weekdays and up to today on a Friday, due to the (5) ending and starting at E. 180 St, the three late PM rush trains that were scheduled to Utica Av were extended to New Lots Av. There was only 5 minute holds only at Van Siclen Av. 

Rode an R179 on both the (A) and (C) recently and these cars really grew on me on how fast and smooth these are. I just hope they keep them on the (A) and (C) because it would make no sense to move them else where (besides the 8 car units). I just pray these don't end up in CI yard because the BMT south is just slow, the only good part of the (N) line is 4th ave, Everything else sucks. This is why i like the techs on the IND lines better since it's not too many slow spots in the IND vs the BMT.

On 4/29/2024 at 8:35 PM, R32 3838 said:

the only good part of the (N) line is 4th ave

IMO, it’s pretty good in many sections like 86 Street through 8 Avenue, 59 Street through Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center, the Manhattan Bridge through 34 Street, and the 60 Street Tunnel. BMT curves and switches just suck, but the (N) is a pretty good route for the physical infrastructure it’s got to navigate.

The (A)(C)(E) slowdowns around Canal Street though… no excuse. CBTC hopefully fixes that.

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 11:53 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Can anyone confirm this new change on the (J) train programs: 

When biking over the Williamsburg Bridge, I saw an R179 (J) train running to Manhattan in the morning and said 

(J) - Jamaica Skip-Stop

(J) - Broadway Local

(J) - Broad St

Instead of:

(J) - Skip-Stop

(J) - Jamaica Exp

(J) - Broad St

If I have to guess, the above program is skip-stop service but trains stops at Flushing Av, Lorimer St, and Hewes St (hence the "Broadway Local"), whereas the bottom program is the usual skip-stop, Myrtle-Marcy express service. Probably something happened that caused that particular (J) train to make stops at those three stations and the conductor had changed the program midway.

Edited by CyclonicTrainLookout

On 4/30/2024 at 10:26 PM, CenSin said:

IMO, it’s pretty good in many sections like 86 Street through 8 Avenue, 59 Street through Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center, the Manhattan Bridge through 34 Street, and the 60 Street Tunnel. BMT curves and switches just suck, but the (N) is a pretty good route for the physical infrastructure it’s got to navigate.

My thoughts exactly, the BMT can also be pretty good too. It might be just me but I swear like half the transit community always roasts the BMT more than it really deserves, especially when some of the issues it has is the same on the IRT and IND.

I remember riding an (N) from QB plaza to Brooklyn and my T/O hauled the entire way, didn't feel slow at all. Despite how sharp many BMT curves are, trains can still go surprisingly fast on them lol. (Atlantic Ave. curve and 38 st. portal for example). 

Posted (edited)

A note to all who rides, photographs the system to be careful out there. Especially not to stand very close to the platform as you'll never know what you'll come across. Earlier today, at 7:16 PM at Kings Highway on the (Q) . It was shouted from three individuals on the train at three of the eight cars in the back of the Coney Island side, a man went and slapped two seperate woman and a male was punched between Newkirk Plaza and Avenue M. As the train got to Kings Highway, riders shouted to not have the train leave the station to avoid more trouble that'll go on and exits were blocked so, the police can be on their way that happened 10 minutes responded. At that time, the suspect was held by three other indivduals so, that way officers are there to take the suspect away. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

A note to all who rides, photographs the system to be careful out there. Especially not to stand very close to the platform as you'll never know what you'll come across. Earlier today, at 7:16 PM at Kings Highway on the (Q) . It was shouted from three individuals on the train at three of the eight cars in the back of the Coney Island side, a man went and slapped two seperate woman and a male was punched between Newkirk Plaza and Avenue M. As the train got to Kings Highway, riders shouted to not have the train leave the station to avoid more trouble that'll go on and exits were blocked so, the police can be on their way that happened 10 minutes responded. At that time, the suspect was held by three other indivduals so, that way officers are there to take the suspect away. 

Shows how sick some people are. 

Why no updated info on congestion pricing ( except the (MTA) self serving B.S. ) ? I know for a fact that the Town of Hempstead has filed suit to block it's implementation. Surprised there's so little chatter going on. Carry on

44 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Why no updated info on congestion pricing ( except the (MTA) self serving B.S. ) ? I know for a fact that the Town of Hempstead has filed suit to block it's implementation. Surprised there's so little chatter going on. Carry on

Not even in the Congestion Pricing Thread there’s any Discussion? I also heard about the Lawsuit that Hempstead is trying to file against the (MTA) but we’ll have to wait and see what happens.

As for the lack of Discussion on Congestion Pricing, I think it’s mostly cause newer/younger members haven’t taken the time to put thought into it or are too focused on the wrong issues (i.e. Rolling Stock)

20 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Or maybe some people think it's wayyy overdue and are not very sympathetic towards such frivolous lawsuits, and instead have more healthier debates elsewhere online......

I’m personally indifferent towards the whole ordeal. As long as infrastructure conditions improve along the system and we see the tangible effects that Congestion Pricing is supposed to deliver, then I couldn’t care less.

———————————————

On a different topic (since I don’t want to make 2 separate posts) How is the Level of Service + Spare Factor decided for each line and yard? I’ve always been curious about that and I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen an explanation for it during the time I’ve been on these forums.

Posted (edited)

Today is very nice to have the trains I took, the (B)(Q) the (1) and (L) as well as the(5)(6)  trains with good air conditioning on one of the cars for now. Walking and waiting around the stations feels like 90 degrees today. 

Edited by Calvin

16 hours ago, Calvin said:

Today is very nice to have the trains I took, the (B)(Q) the (1) and (L) as well as the(5)(6)  trains with good air conditioning on one of the cars for now. Walking and waiting around the stations feels like 90 degrees today. 

I caught a hot car on the (1) yesterday, 2449. That particular car always has A/C issues for years. Now that 2196-2200 have gotten SMS, and 2426-2430 is slated to get it, hopefully 2199 and 2429's A/C's improve.

Why would the MTA reuse the the fences that are at each end of the station at Westchetser Square (6) station, they could’ve installed the new modern walls like at 82nd street on the (7), and replacing the lights with modern ones instead of repainting everything, at least those platforms were replaced and not reused 

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 7:09 PM, LGA Link N Train said:

I’m personally indifferent towards the whole ordeal. As long as infrastructure conditions improve along the system and we see the tangible effects that Congestion Pricing is supposed to deliver, then I couldn’t care less.

Now I may sound like a dumbass, but honestly I'm tired of a lot of things continuing the way they are with not really much improvement even as years go by. I, too, am a bit imdifferent as I don't have much issues with congestion pricing. It's just that I get the feeling that a lot of it just isn't going to infrastructure so I have a few things I want to mention. I'm going to be talking out of my ass, if I seem to not know what I'm talking about, you can ignore this post, I'm just ranting.

A really huge amount of that money, say 75% or whatever is close to that amount, needs to go into transit infrastructure. With how many cars are running around and how pricey the damn thing is already going to be and no free way of being able to get into or even through Manhattan even for New Yorkers from Brooklyn or Queens because of it so they're just as screwed as folks from Jersey, I think it's more than fair and reasonable for me to say this. 

20% would go towards road improvements because god knows how many potholes and just really shitty road conditions exist.

Lastly, 5% would be tax refunds and whatnot or whatever and however that works. Basically, nothing should be going towards politics as they already get a good amount of money as is. Give back to the people, give some other kind of incentive so people won't continue to feel annoyed.

Anyway, do with this information however you want.

Edited by Vulturious
Changed the percentage, felt it was too low

22 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Now I may sound like a dumbass, but honestly I'm tired of a lot of things continuing the way they are with not really much improvement even as years go by. I, too, am a bit imdifferent as I don't have much issues with congestion pricing. It's just that I get the feeling that a lot of it just isn't going to infrastructure so I have a few things I want to mention. I'm going to be talking out of my ass, if I seem to not know what I'm talking about, you can ignore this post, I'm just ranting.

A really huge amount of that money, say 75% or whatever is close to that amount, needs to go into transit infrastructure. With how many cars are running around and how pricey the damn thing is already going to be and no free way of being able to get into or even through Manhattan even for New Yorkers from Brooklyn or Queens because of it so they're just as screwed as folks from Jersey, I think it's more than fair and reasonable for me to say this. 

20% would go towards road improvements because god knows how many potholes and just really shitty road conditions exist.

Lastly, 5% would be tax refunds and whatnot or whatever and however that works. Basically, nothing should be going towards politics as they already get a good amount of money as is. Give back to the people, give some other kind of incentive so people won't continue to feel annoyed.

Anyway, do with this information however you want.

I’ll just add my two cents to what you and some others have already posted on the topic. The NYS comptroller’s office has issued a report on this issue. I happened to read it in Newsday and reinforces my initial point to some degree. The (MTA) is under severe financial stress in the future. They don’t want to come out and say the obvious. The Comptroller didn’t mince words in the statement. If the congestion pricing plan were to be modified to a substantial degree the money the (MTA) is counting on wouldn’t be available for the next Capital Plan and the agency would be forced to raise fares and  eliminate some service somewhere. The agency hasn’t disputed any of the state comptroller’s statements and I doubt they would anyway. I’d bet that half of the posters don’t even realize that the promised revenue would be divided by the NYCTA, the LIRR, MNRR and other agencies that deal with traffic and roads in the downstate communities. I hope that the residents of the bi-state area would open their eyes to see the games being perpetuated on them before it’s too late. Just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree with me. No hard feelings on my part. Carry on.

On 5/10/2024 at 7:03 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

If the congestion pricing plan were to be modified to a substantial degree the money the (MTA) is counting on wouldn’t be available for the next Capital Plan and the agency would be forced to raise fares and  eliminate some service somewhere. The agency hasn’t disputed any of the state comptroller’s statements and I doubt they would anyway. I’d bet that half of the posters don’t even realize that the promised revenue would be divided by the NYCTA, the LIRR, MNRR and other agencies that deal with traffic and roads in the downstate communities.

Have they signed any lockbox legislation yet? If not, it could very well be divvied up further to fund ski resorts.