SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Huh, what are you talking about, the (J) and (Z) share the same fleet

What I’m trying to say is that, you probably didn’t check the (Z) put ins out of ENY yard. I was at Broadway Junction during the pm counting the (Z) put ins in which 2 of them were R32s. 

14 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

I have noticed a lot of R62A (1) train being hot cars. I've ridden on a few for a few days now.. Are the AC's broken or what? 

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Clearly they are.  There are some on the (6) too.  I rode one recently that was horrible.  

The R62A's don't have A/C's that function well or at all in the summer, and the (1) has the most amount of trains with broken A/C's, the (6) not far behind. This is why there's been numerous R142's have been assigned to (1) during certain points from the (2). So that (1) train's A/C's can be fixed.  

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

3 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

The R62A's don't have A/C's that function well or at all in the summer, and the (1) has the most amount of trains with broken A/C's. This is why there's been numerous R142's have been assigned to line during certain points from the (2). So that (1) train's A/C's can be fixed. 

It's troubling that we're dealing with the same issues that have plagued both lines for years now, and quite frankly I think the (6) has the cars with the most problems, not just with the AC, but in general. Now at least we haven't been seeing long waits like we were several months ago, but cars without air conditioning in the dead of summer seems unacceptable.  If they're pulling these trains to fix them, they should address things like AC at that time.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The reason the 62A A/C sucks is because they only have one compressor per car due to them being as built as singles and when that lone compressor overheats and shuts off = no A/C.

Married pairs have two compressors due to not all of the underbody equipment being stuffed in one car.

I read an article from the New York Post couple days ago talking about R62A 1872 being the hottest car to receive the most complaints and it is to be taken out of service for extensive A/C repairs. This car was recently SMS'ed as well as alot of the R62As on the (1).

They really need to get it together with this subway fleet considering the day in age that where currently in. So far this summer I've been on some rotten/garbage R62As with no A/C and horrible interior lighting.

The R46 as well doesn't work well with A/C during the summer. Usually, a wood is stuck on the slide door. 

Anyways, the (3) I rode last week has A/C but slightly feel the breeze. 

Edited by Calvin

15 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Was on the (1) about two weeks ago and every car I was in had no A/C... I wonder how happy train crews and summer commuters will be when the 62A replacement cars come in.

One thing I know for sure...  the (1) is OVERDUE for newer trains. The R142s on the (1) the other weekend was somewhat of a nice relief from the same ol' rotten R62As that are their.

23 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

One thing I know for sure...  the (1) is OVERDUE for newer trains. The R142s on the (1) the other weekend was somewhat of a nice relief from the same ol' rotten R62As that are their.

With the next subway car order (R211) being of B Division-type, the (1), (3), and (6) will have to wait for anything significant.

2 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

With the next subway car order (R211) being of B Division-type, the (1), (3), and (6) will have to wait for anything significant.

It won't be too long... Just have to scale down the R211 specs to IRT size. I personally would be surprised if they haven't put out an RFP by 2021, especially if Byford is serious about accelerating CBTC.

30 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I think they're going a little overboard with this ESI plan...11 stations are/will be closed this month. They should have at least shut down one station on CPW max.

Doing 86th and 72nd is totally fine and it should be done NOW while school is out.  The museum crowds will be back in full force once the summer is over and on weekends those stations can be unbearable with those damn tourists.  Both 72nd and 86th desperately needed to be rehabbed.  They need to rehab 81st street next because there is water leaking everywhere.

----

Speaking of random thoughts, last week I refilled my Metrocard at 42nd Street-Bryant Park, and as I'm refilling, a HUGE rat comes out from behind one of the big sized MVM machines and then runs by the small credit card machine I was using.  My eyes almost popped out of my head thinking where in the hell is this thing going?  I had to stay nearby since I literally had just finished putting it the info I needed to get the card, so I wasn't going anywhere until I had my receipt and card in hand.  Now I'm wondering what this f---er will do as I wait for the card to come out of the machine. Well there's a convenience stand near by which had its gates down, but apparently not down low enough for him not to sneak through.  Just imagine the surprise that the business owner got when he lifted up his gate the next morning... :lol:

17 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

The R62A's don't have A/C's that function well or at all in the summer, and the (1) has the most amount of trains with broken A/C's, the (6) not far behind. This is why there's been numerous R142's have been assigned to (1) during certain points from the (2). So that (1) train's A/C's can be fixed.  

What they need to do is assign some the (5)‘s R142’s to the (1) and some of the (4)’s R142A’s to the (6) to balance out AC maintenance/SMS. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Doing 86th and 72nd is totally fine and it should be done NOW while school is out.  The museum crowds will be back in full force once the summer is over and on weekends those stations can be unbearable with those damn tourists.  Both 72nd and 86th desperately needed to be rehabbed.  They need to rehab 81st street next because there is water leaking everywhere.

----

Speaking of random thoughts, last week I refilled my Metrocard at 42nd Street-Bryant Park, and as I'm refilling, a HUGE rat comes out from behind one of the big sized MVM machines and then runs by the small credit card machine I was using.  My eyes almost popped out of my head thinking where in the hell is this thing going?  I had to stay nearby since I literally had just finished putting it the info I needed to get the card, so I wasn't going anywhere until I had my receipt and card in hand.  Now I'm wondering what this f---er will do as I wait for the card to come out of the machine. Well there's a convenience stand near by which had its gates down, but apparently not down low enough for him not to sneak through.  Just imagine the surprise that the business owner got when he lifted up his gate the next morning... :lol:

I used 86th and 81st from 2010-2012 when I went to school, and 81st was spotless then and had beautiful artwork. Went back there recently and the station is a wreck. Water has leaked everywhere, rusting everything and ruining the beautiful tiling and artwork... they definitely need to close the station to replace the tiles, add an elevator, and do some waterproofing work once they are done with the other CPW stations.

28 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I used 86th and 81st from 2010-2012 when I went to school, and 81st was spotless then and had beautiful artwork. Went back there recently and the station is a wreck. Water has leaked everywhere, rusting everything and ruining the beautiful tiling and artwork... they definitely need to close the station to replace the tiles, add an elevator, and do some waterproofing work once they are done with the other CPW stations.

Yes it's horrible, but knowing them they'll wait until the water situation is out of control, then rehab the station for millions more than what it should cost.