SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Dear MTA,

PLEASE PUT BACK THE OLD SITE THE NEW ONE IS HORRIFIC! 

Seriously tho where are the current service status like everything has been moved.

Agreed.  The old one is better. Why are they making it so complicated to see the status page for the buses!!??

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Agreed.  The old one is better. Why are they making it so complicated to see the status page for the buses!!??

On the home page (desktop), service status is the box labeled "service status" on center-right. Just click the bus service status tab and type in the route... IMO this is better than the massive clutter that would appear below the route groupings in the previous iteration.

They should allow you to enter multiple routes though. 

Edited by RR503

18 minutes ago, RR503 said:

On the home page (desktop), service status is the box labeled "service status" on center-right. Just click the bus service status tab and type in the route... IMO this is better than the massive clutter that would appear below the route groupings in the previous iteration.

They should allow you to enter multiple routes though. 

I'm aware of that. For people that have multiple ways of commuting or commute to different places throughout the day, having to input each bus line is time consuming and annoying. I want to be able to see all routes, this way I can decide which arrangement works best for me depending on the circumstances. Often times I have the option of three different buses depending on where I'm at.  This is also true of the subway.  When you know how to get around different ways, being essentially limited is not the greatest set up. I've already complained to them on their new page and asked them to put the Status page back the way it was.  

It's in beta. Glitches are to be expected, which is why the link to the old site is right there on the top of the page. I imagine the mobile site should not default to new.mta.info when the old URL is typed in though. Clicking "desktop mode" on your mobile browser of choice should bring you to the old site.

Edited by Lance

8 hours ago, VIP said:

They really should have paired 1901-1905 as a 5-car link and sent it to Westchester! 

25 minutes ago, Calvin said:

AFAIK. 1908 is at 207 St Yard, 1907 was paired with a redbird work train. 

---

Also, I don't know if it's me, I never hear the "we are held momentary by trains dispatcher" announcement often now

They should've never broken up R62A (1921-22-23-24-25) for the seatless experiment on the 42nd St Shuttle. They already had enough Livonia R62A sets for the Shuttle to do that.

Lately I've been hearing more and more of "we are being held by train supervision".

6 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Additional service per DJ Hammers.

Yup! For a little more context, ongoing Canarsie-shutdown related work in the Court Square (E)(M) to (G) passage — namely, the removal of the moving walkways — is severely constricting passageway capacity in the area. In order over mitigate congestion resulting from exit/transfer surges, the MTA is adding a (G) trip between 8 and 9 AM — requiring more cars. These R46s will NOT stay for the shutdown. 

Edited by RR503

14 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Yup! For a little more context, ongoing Canarsie-shutdown related work in the Court Square (E)(M) to (G) passage — namely, the removal of the moving walkways — is severely constricting passageway capacity in the area. In order over mitigate congestion resulting from exit/transfer surges, the MTA is adding a (G) trip between 8 and 9 AM — requiring more cars. These R46s will NOT stay for the shutdown. 

@Dj Hammers@RR503 What time is the trip?

Edited by Union Tpke

12 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@Dj Hammers@RR503 What time is the trip?

I can’t get it down further than between those two time points with the stuff I have at the moment. I’ll poke/ask around some more when I am back in the office again, but that won’t be for a week or so... 

@Dj Hammers is quite excellent at finding this stuff, so hopefully he’ll pull through. 

Edited by RR503

The reverse rush back towards the city is crazy. Trains from Coney Island are packed! They are so packed that people have started filling the other train before the departing train has closed down. At Neck Road, for example, crowds are getting off on the Manhattan-bound side. That side usually sees foot traffic going up the stairs and into the trains—not off the trains and down the stairs.

:D...Yall call catching an R46 on the (G) lucky...Before the yard change thats all that ran on the (G)...I can honestly say i got lucky when an R160 showed up on the (G)...But that was because the (F) was rerouted to serve euclid av not coney island....:lol:

I'm not gonna touch *that* with a ten foot pole.

Instead, this question is for those people who have been inside/ worked an R179 cab: is is harder to program the train using the TOD?

I'm noticing that R179s with incorrect programs is happening more often than is the case with the R143/160 espcially during rush hour... For example there were two separate times that an R179 (Z) got signed up with the local program (instead of the express): in the first case it was local the full route and it caused a lot of confusion since the conductor chose to simply make manual announcements over it and in the second case it was just local Marcy-Myrtle and got fixed before it left Broad Street.