SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode one yesterday.

I have photos of a couple.

Luxor Hotel have those type. Nothing to brag about except gravity move sideway.

Is that like an escalator that's flat and you walk on it and it moves? If so, it's at Court Square (E)(G)(M)(7)

Mean Distance Between Failures (Miles)
12-Month Average MDBF

Car Class     # of cars       Mar '14      Mar '13   % change

R32              222               49,363       58,106       −15.05%

R42              50                 35,895       36,748       – 2.32%

R46              752               93,967       88,120          6.64%

R62              315               208,353     172,860        20.53%

R62A            824               140,296     150,181     – 6.58%

R68              425               160,852      140,413       14.56%

R68A            200               101,436       118,047     –14.07%

R142           1030              126,101       187,721     –32.83

R142A          555               93,279         119,541     –21.97%

R143           212                72,960        106,434      –31.45

R160          1662               417,961      567,422      –26.34%

R188            77                  NA               NA            NA

Fleet          6,324               141,011    163,379     −13.88%

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/140519_1030_transit-bus.pdf

The R143s have lower MDBF due to CBTC problems.

Edited by Union Tpke

Funny thing happened to me yesterday..Riding the  (L) home yesterday to guys got on at morgan ave playing their guitars. As soon as they finished a homeless man came in from the other end of the car asking for money and they both met at the center of the car looking at each other...WTF...Who do i give the money to...LOL                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

I have photos of a couple.

Is that like an escalator that's flat and you walk on it and it moves? If so, it's at Court Square (E)(G)(M)(7)

yes i rode those elevators when i stayed thee. Don't forget the hotel is a pyramid. It fast and swift from floor to floor. 

I decided to check out the (A)(C)(B)(D) Fastrack on my way home. As usual, passengers were upset, cussing, complaining about having to transfer to the (1), etc. I did have some interesting conversations with some girls though and I ran into one of my railfan friends on the (J) which happened to be an R32.

Here was my trip : (A) from Fulton St to 59 St, (1) to Times Sq, (S) to Grand Central, (4) to Brooklyn Bridge and then the (J) home to Halsey St.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Had to go to Yonkers today. Got to Rockaway Av and missed the (3) train since I had to refill my metrocard. Wired a few minutes and the (2) came instead. Shrugged it off and got off at Utica Av for the (4)...the (5) to Nereid Av came instead and I let that go since I needed to go to Woodlawn.

Fast forward to later when I was going home. Dozed off on the train and woke up as the train was pulling into Brooklyn Bridge. Decided to get off and take the (J) for some reason, but whatever. Get to the platform and the (Z) came (mind you, this was at 10 pm). All the signs in the train said (Z) (it was a R42) but we made regular (J) stops nonetheless. We get on the Willy B approach and a R32 (J) comes inbound, but the front sign said (C).

Fast forward again to Broadway Junction and I get off and the Continuous Welded Rail train came in on the middle track. I go upstairs and I missed the (L). Next train cones in, and for some reason they sent it back towards Manhattan. I let that go and hop on the next one.

EDIT

I'm assuming the CWR is at Linden Shops now, I can hear the horn from my house

Edited by Fresh Pond

Does anyone know where I could read up more information about the FIND system? I'm very interested in finding out more about it, but Google gives me useless results like a guide to finding your way around the subway.

I remember stumbling upon the manufacturer's website. I forgot who makes them. Try heading in that direction.

I remember stumbling upon the manufacturer's website. I forgot who makes them. Try heading in that direction.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who makes them either. An older post I found says that either Alstom or Kawasaki provided the system, though I can't find info on their sites about it. Thanks for the tip, though - I'll keep hunting.

Shifting away from the above topic for a bit with an inquiry, is it the plan, as per last year, to keep one R32 train on the (J) after they swap back? I'll be in the city in October, and since I'll already be on the Jamaica EL hunting for R42s, might as well go for an R32 as well.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

A rarity in more quiet stations and those in the main shopping districts, Coney Island seems to boast a high number of people asking for Metrocard swipes despite the station being patrolled by many cops. I got off the train today and headed for the Mermaid Avenue exit when a young male was pacing back and forth by the turnstiles soliciting a free Metrocard swipe from people exiting the station. As I walked towards the turnstile, I also noticed an NYPD car with 2 (or more) cops watching. I looked at the teen and shook my head, pointing in the direction of the B74 boarding location and murmured, "cops." He sucked his teeth and turned towards the next person. Maybe he knew there were cops and was hoping to make a dash for it while the cops would cuff the poor sap who gave him a free ride. Or maybe he thought I was transferring to a bus, oblivious to the cops watching him from a mere 5 yards away in plain view.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who makes them either. An older post I found says that either Alstom or Kawasaki provided the system, though I can't find info on their sites about it. Thanks for the tip, though - I'll keep hunting.

Shifting away from the above topic for a bit with an inquiry, is it the plan, as per last year, to keep one R32 train on the (J) after they swap back? I'll be in the city in October, and since I'll already be on the Jamaica EL hunting for R42s, might as well go for an R32 as well.

Yeah, R32 3838 actually confirmed that two sets will be kept for the R143 SMS and the (C) already has enough spares since the R32s' spare ratio is very higher at 54%. Easiest way to catch an SMEE on the (J) is during the rush hour timeframe, especially when the skip-stop happens. Sometimes during the off-peak, they do actually keep a set or two of SMEEs in service without being taken out after stopping at either Jamaica Center or Broad Street. Hope this helps.  ;)