SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Yeah, R32 3838 actually confirmed that two sets will be kept for the R143 SMS and the (C) already has enough spares since the R32s' spare ratio is very higher at 54%. Easiest way to catch an SMEE on the (J) is during the rush hour timeframe, especially when the skip-stop happens. Sometimes during the off-peak, they do actually keep a set or two of SMEEs in service without being taken out after stopping at either Jamaica Center or Broad Street. Hope this helps.  ;)

It did, thanks! :)

Now to intelligently plan out the trip so that I can cover everything I want to see without having to wait too long.. hmm...

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

81st Street-Museum of Natural History (A)(C)(B) is actually my favorite local station on the 8th Avenue/Fulton Street/Rockaway side of town. The design is very unique indeed. I'll give +1. Franklin Avenue-Fulton Street would be next, as I use the BMT (S) shuttle to connect from the (3) to the (A)(C) every morning going to school.

Apparently, there has been a slight change to the automated announcements on the C-line. At Chambers St, instead of that horrible slice-n-dice recording, a new Charlie transfer has been added. Presumably, this was done at the same time the software was updated for the M60 Select.

81st Street-Museum of Natural History (A)(C)(B) is actually my favorite local station on the 8th Avenue/Fulton Street/Rockaway side of town. The design is very unique indeed. I'll give +1. Franklin Avenue-Fulton Street would be next, as I use the BMT (S) shuttle to connect from the (3) to the (A)(C) every morning going to school.

lol... It's one of the few updated stations after Columbus Circle (59th street).  The rest of them are in deplorable condition.  They really need to do a better job of cleaning.  They let stations get too far out of hand before they decide to spruce them up.  I also wish they had an escalator at that station.  Those stairs are a killer.

Apparently, there has been a slight change to the automated announcements on the C-line. At Chambers St, instead of that horrible slice-n-dice recording, a new Charlie transfer has been added. Presumably, this was done at the same time the software was updated for the M60 Select.

Now if they would change the F announcements so it doesn't say "local" train at every station...

Now if they would change the F announcements so it doesn't say "local" train at every station...

But why does it matter though? The (F) is fully local in Manhattan and Brooklyn anyway. I wouldn't care if the northbound (2) announcements in Brooklyn (and southbound in the Bronx) says "This is a Manhattan-bound (2) local train". It's just an announcement.

Edited by RollOver

But why does it matter though? The (F) is fully local in Manhattan and Brooklyn anyway. I wouldn't care if the northbound (2) announcements in Brooklyn (and southbound in the Bronx) says "This is a Manhattan-bound (2) local train". It's just an announcement.

I've heard the (2) say that.

Speaking of the (2) , today I witnessed a sick customer at TSQ on the (2) . A (3) then appears on the downtown local track, of which I take to Penn Station and switch back to the express track. Behind that (3) , a (5) shows up with a (2) on the local track. Pretty interesting sight.

There's a program for an (F) express that says "express", hence the "local" in the announcements. At least I think that's why. The express program does get used enough during PM late runs, so I guess they want to make it clearer for passengers.

Edited by Culver

Rumor: (N) & (Q) might be getting all the R-46 from the (F) & (R) to allow Jamaica Yard to be 100% R-160.

Source: Gossip.

Whoa. I know there's a lot of love out there for the R46 but if this happens I predicts numerous delays on the broadway line. The (M) became the worse of the two options with the (R) becoming the better when the Romeo and Fox switched equipment. 

Rumor: (N) & (Q) might be getting all the R-46 from the (F) & (R) to allow Jamaica Yard to be 100% R-160.

Source: Gossip.

Are you serious! That would be foam on the N and Q! The last time they ran on the Q was after 9/11

img_5727.jpg

Line: BMT Brighton Line
Route: Q
Car: R-46 (Pullman-Standard, 1974-75) 
Photo by: George Chiasson Jr.
Date: 9/23/2001
Notes: As part of the detouring of BMT/IND lines due to the disaster, this train of R-46s is making a rare foray along the Brighton Line. With R trains to Queens out of service for the time being, the Brighton Local has been extended to serve local stations on the IND to Forest Hills.

About the swap... I would not like it all. The R160s are boring! I hate how they look, and they are plain boring. I like the R46s way more. I live off Queens Blvd, so all I would be seeing is R160s. NO NO NO NO NO, they can't do this. The R46s belong to Jamaica Yard. That's how its been for all of their service lives, with a few exceptions. First the A and S stealing some R46s and now this. NO

I seriously doubt there's any truth to this rumor, but stranger things have happened. Regardless, I'd love to the 46s back on the Nancy. I think the last time 46s were on the N was around the time the N and R swapped northern terminals back in '87.

What is the point of making Jamaica Yard 100 percent 160? Also does JAM even have enough 46s to cover both N and Q service?

Actually, a while ago this variation on the rumor was posted in a separate thread that helps explain it and offers a little context:

The plan is coney island yard will only keep 140 R160s and get jamaica's remaining r46

R46 will run on (B) line and left over to the (N)

R68 will return to the (Q) and (N) and will stay on (G)

R160 stays on the (N) and (W)

This information cames from operations of

planning

btw guys this plan wont (if it even happens) happen in about 2 years or so due to queens blvd CBTC

That makes a little more sense than making the Nancy/Quincy 100% R46.

And yes - eventually JYD will have to be 100% NTT - specifically NTT converted for CBTC. But as mentioned that isn't a priority for several years. 

So, if you'll permit me to speculate wildly, there are scenarios where the switch would need to happen now. Say, hypothetically some equipment specifically needed for R46 maintenance at JYD needed to be replaced, and then there's the thought process "why would we replace this, the yard is going to be all NTT in a few years?" - it could, COULD make more sense to have the yard be all NTT now and install the needed equipment/use the needed equipment elsewhere.

Or, Maybe they're going to be adding the CBTC gear to the 160's at Jamaica and they need all the cars there because they are going to start that soon - this makes sense - you need all the cars equipped before the system goes live and you would want to leave yourself plenty of time to do the installs. 

Long and short - There are reasons why you'd want to do it and want to do it soon, but I will believe it when I see it and no sooner. 

Actually, a while ago this variation on the rumor was posted in a separate thread that helps explain it and offers a little context:

That makes a little more sense than making the Nancy/Quincy 100% R46.

And yes - eventually JYD will have to be 100% NTT - specifically NTT converted for CBTC. But as mentioned that isn't a priority for several years. 

So, if you'll permit me to speculate wildly, there are scenarios where the switch would need to happen now. Say, hypothetically some equipment specifically needed for R46 maintenance at JYD needed to be replaced, and then there's the thought process "why would we replace this, the yard is going to be all NTT in a few years?" - it could, COULD make more sense to have the yard be all NTT now and install the needed equipment/use the needed equipment elsewhere.

Or, Maybe they're going to be adding the CBTC gear to the 160's at Jamaica and they need all the cars there because they are going to start that soon - this makes sense - you need all the cars equipped before the system goes live and you would want to leave yourself plenty of time to do the installs. 

Long and short - There are reasons why you'd want to do it and want to do it soon, but I will believe it when I see it and no sooner. 

dang it you beat me to it :P