SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/24/2018 at 1:36 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

People who just missed the (F) at Times Square going to Queens will have to wait a whopping 60 or so minutes for the next train (according to Subway Time and some estimation). Spectacular service. Not a single train reading between 42 Street and 9th Avenue (Brooklyn), and the reading for 9th Avenue says 32 minutes.

The (F) and (D) have terrible headways on weekends. A few weeks ago, I just missed a (D) train. Because it was a weekend, I, by instinct, just walked to Penn Station from Herald Sq, instantly got an (A) train. I didn't see a (D) the entire ride.

2 minutes ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

The (F) and (D) have terrible headways on weekends. A few weeks ago, I just missed a (D) train. Because it was a weekend, I, by instinct, just walked to Penn Station from Herald Sq, instantly got an (A) train. I didn't see a (D) the entire ride.

I really feel for the folks that only have subway service on weekends because it's really deplorable.  Most of my trips are in Manhattan, and even those are no cake walk.  For people with fewer options it's only worse.  What I try to do now is check Subway Time before I even get into the station and waste my time with all of those stairs.  

Question and this is pretty random I've been using the (1) lately to 168th due to a job with Columbia. I haven't used this part of the line in years so I can't really recall if this was an issue back when I rode daily. Does anyone notice the quality of the trackbed around 157th street station? The noise and vibration levels are astronomical. I know it's not with the rails has to be with the trackbed wood ties? or the geology in the area water erosion in the foundation maybe? The line does straddle a cemetery. Am I the only one that notices this?

Edited by RailRunRob

45 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Question and this is pretty random I've been using the (1) lately to 168th due to a job with Columbia. I haven't used this part of the line in years so I can't really recall if this was an issue back when I rode daily. Does anyone notice the quality of the trackbed around 157th street station? The noise and vibration levels are astronomical. I know it's not with the rails has to be with the trackbed wood ties? or the geology in the area water erosion in the foundation maybe? The line does straddle a cemetery. Am I the only one that notices this?

There have been numerous closures of the (1) line north of 137 Street for track replacement in the past few months. Perhaps the incomplete nature of the project is to blame?

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

There have been numerous closures of the (1) line north of 137 Street for track replacement in the past few months. Perhaps the incomplete nature of the project is to blame?

Quite possible. It's definitely isolated to the stretch of track between 145 and 157th.. could be work on the roadbed there.

13 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

(W) service from Brooklyn changed as part of the new pick. The first 3 trips on the (W) no longer come from 86 St. The new trips from 86 St are now at 7:05 AM and 4:36 PM. Yes there is now an official pm trip from Brooklyn.

So is there still a 86 St bound PM trip?

6 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

NTT's with CBTC shouldn't have a problem reaching 55 on that stretch. 

Yeah...until they both get older like the R32s and R46s are now. Also besides, I figured that if it also weren’t for the removal of field shunting, the R32s on the (A) could’ve gone much faster (give it 45-50 MPH tops) than they currently do now on the Rockaway Flats.

Edited by Jemorie

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

(W) service from Brooklyn changed as part of the new pick. The first 3 trips on the (W) no longer come from 86 St. The new trips from 86 St are now at 7:05 AM and 4:36 PM. Yes there is now an official pm trip from Brooklyn.

Not only that but now the first southbound (W) Train leaves Astoria-Ditmars Blvd at 6:13 AM instead of 6:57 AM.

And the (W) Train ends a little later now then the previous picks.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

34 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Not only that but now the first southbound (W) Train leaves Astoria-Ditmars Blvd at 6:13 AM instead of 6:57 AM.

And the (W) Train ends a little later now then the previous picks.

That is great news for Astoria riders. The (Q) started service that early, and when it was sent to SAS, service was decreased.

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Yeah...until they both get older like the R32s and R46s are now. Also besides, I figured that if it also weren’t for the removal of field shunting, the R32s on the (A) could’ve gone much faster (give it 45-50 MPH tops) than they currently do now on the Rockaway Flats.

Why would that matter if there maintained correctly? Some of the fastest cars on record ran at there best optimized at the end of there lives 60 MPH (Lo V's) on the Lex.

Field shunting definitely affects the performance of motors.  So your right on that. just optimize your configuration. Next time your in Philly take a ride on the BSL express. The B-IV these cars run above the 55mph mark with 600V input. 

7 hours ago, Lance said:

7 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Quite possible. It's definitely isolated to the stretch of track between 145 and 157th.. could be work on the roadbed there.

As a daily rider on the (1), I can tell you for as long as I can remember that particular stretch of the line has been a cluster (you know what) of NOISE. You only hear the intensity of the noise on the track beds especially when your on a train that's not that crowded. Going northbound btw 145th & 157th Streets and also southbound btw 168th & 157th St the trains unbearably rattle through the tracks with decibel levels as high as the appropriate mark.

The track work that's been interrupting (1) service north of 137th Street the past few weekends has been track removal/replacement on the Broadway Bridge and on the M track around the 207th Street station. There's also some new white LED lights in certain parts of the mine tunnel btw 157th & Dyckman Street.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

I honestly didn't know anything about this to tell you the truth. 😮

Yep it's a standard practice with DC motors. Controls torque and speed control among other things.  Might cut down on wear and tear on Equipment as well

Edited by RailRunRob

40 minutes ago, jon2305 said:

As a daily rider on the (1), I can tell you for as long as I can remember that particular stretch of the line has been a cluster (you know what) of NOISE. You only hear the intensity of the noise on the track beds especially when your on a train that's not that crowded. Going northbound btw 145th & 157th Streets and also southbound btw 168th & 157th St the trains unbearably rattle through the tracks with decibel levels as high as the appropriate mark.

The track work that's been interrupting (1) service north of 137th Street the past few weekends has been track removal/replacement on the Broadway Bridge and on the M track around the 207th Street station. There's also some new white LED lights in certain parts of the mine tunnel btw 157th & Dyckman Street.

So that makes me feel like it's an infrastructural thing..  Concrete directly trackbed? And as you stated weight dampens the sound. That kinda vibration can damage Infrastructure overtime add water and forget it. Makes me wonder what other types of external attributes might pay a role? Water, geological type? This area Transitional between Cut and cover and deepbore 157-168 more so.. Interesting.

The (W) that's a PM trip from 86 St was a previous train to start at Canal St-upper level from City Hall. The AM (Q) train running over the (N) line is cut by 2 trains: 9:01AM was rerouted normally to Astoria. 

The (4) now has headways of 6 minutes per train during the PM hours after the rush hour. After 9:48PM from Woodlawn, the south trips to Crown Hts-Utica Av after Atlantic Av make local stops. 

Damn, I really miss those poor R62As running on the (7), especially given the fact that I didn't get to have one final proper ride on them. :( It was such a shame that all they did was sit in Corona until their transfer to the (6) for two months straight. Seeing them on the (6) isn't the same because of those full-width cabs. 

2081-2085 had the honor of being the last R62A to have left Corona, today, June 26, 2018. Only five singles are staying behind for work service. 

And the (J)(Z) will soon follow in the (L)'s (and (7)'s) footsteps soon due to ENY becoming 100% NTT...