SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

When the uptown platform at 138th St closes, does that mean (4) and (5) trains will use the center track at all times or during non-rush hours?

They will continue to use the outer track heading northbound during off-peak excluding general orders. During the PM peak, the (4) will continue to use the middle track. This way, when there are two (5) trains back to back, the first midway between 138-GC and Lower Level 149-GC (delayed by an arriving (2) northbound at Lower Level 149-GC) and the second sitting at 138-GC (making the stop and waiting), northbound (4)s to Burnside/Woodlawn are not delayed.

And remember, the outer track is the only way for Eastchester/Nereid Avenue (5) trains to get to the White Plains Road Line. Same with Manhattan-bound coming from the White Plains Road Line and merging with the (4).

Edited by Jemorie

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

When the uptown platform at 138th St closes, does that mean (4) and (5) trains will use the center track at all times or during non-rush hours?

There are switches north of 138 that allow (5)s to use the connection to the LL while skipping 138. So yes, it'll be a two track op there for a while -- first time this has been the case in a long, long time.

46 minutes ago, RR503 said:

There are switches north of 138 that allow (5)s to use the connection to the LL while skipping 138. So yes, it'll be a two track op there for a while -- first time this has been the case in a long, long time.

Really? So the N/B outer track is out of service full-time until 138-GC reopens?

There might be delays to Burnside/Woodlawn (4) service during the PM peak if there are two (5)s back to back ahead of it.

Edited by Jemorie

8 hours ago, RR503 said:

7 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Really? So the N/B outer track is out of service full-time until 138-GC reopens?

There might be delays to Burnside/Woodlawn (4) service during the PM peak if there are two (5)s back to back ahead of it.

What is the rationale for taking the track at 138 OOS?

1 minute ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

What is the rationale for taking the track at 138 OOS?

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/138stnorth

Structural stuff, in short. 

7 hours ago, Jemorie said:

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens. I for one am not optimistic about this GO's performance. 

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Dosen't that mean that there will be no downtown (4) trains that skip 138th St as well?

Yes, though the lack of advisory on that makes me think I may have wrong info.

Edit: seems I do. My apologies!

Edited by RR503

(Q) stuck at Avenue U as of 8:18 AM… sick customer on the train.

As of 8:23 AM, they've instructed the train crew to take the train there and then hold.

At 8:25 AM, the train pulled into the Kings Highway station on the express track.

At 8:26 AM, the train conductor announces there's a (Q) behind us… which promptly shows up at 8:27 AM.

I get on the (Q) which leaves from the local track at 8:28 AM. I doubt the suckers who are still on the platform for express service will be satisfied.

Express to Local

Northbound (B) trains are running on the local track from Kings Hwy to Prospect Park while we get medical help from someone at Kings Hwy.

Expect delays in northbound service.

Posted: 11/18/19 8:31 AM

Edited by CenSin

22 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Then I wonder why the (5) is being extended to Burnside Avenue then.

They’ll be closing the track at 138 for some of the weekends, and the (2) will dead end at 149 LL for some of the weekends as well. On occasion, both scenarios will happen on the same weekend.

(5) to Burnside *could* stick around as a GO pattern tho since the (MTA) is saving money on platform conductors (there’s no fumigation or relay at Burnside) compared to when the (5) ends at 149th.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

They’ll be closing the track at 138 for some of the weekends, and the (2) will dead end at 149 LL for some of the weekends as well. On occasion, both scenarios will happen on the same weekend.

(5) to Burnside *could* stick around as a GO pattern tho since the (MTA) is saving money on platform conductors (there’s no fumigation or relay at Burnside) compared to when the (5) ends at 149th.

If you're talking about the upcoming (2) Train G.Os for the next two weekends, that has nothing to do with the 138th Street work. They're doing unrelated work along Lenox Avenue including some structural work at Central Park North-110th Street

8 minutes ago, Abba said:

Not at Church ave.

I said that because the delays could have likely been somewhere north of Parkside Avenue where they do share a track. In any case, once the (Q) trains started moving, the delays inevitably got the (B) too since our (Q) train was crawling through the shared track.

54 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

History Question;

Why was Lexington the only line to be built without an "express station" at 33rd St? Or does this date back to the original IRT H system and why its built as a local?

Because that is where the Park Avenue Tunnel starts and the tunnel planners had to space out the northbound and southbound tracks to accommodate this, hence why the local track is a bit taller than the express track there. It's interesting to note here that while that stop was being built, trolleys ran through the tunnel before cars and (correct me if I'm wrong) the area wasn't that fully developed then as it today. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

9 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Because that is where the Park Avenue Tunnel starts and the tunnel planners had to space out the northbound and southbound tracks to accommodate this, hence why the local track is a bit taller than the express track there. It's interesting to note here that while that stop was being built, trolleys ran through the tunnel before cars and (correct me if I'm wrong) the area wasn't that fully developed then as it today. 

Yes, there was nothing particularly notable at E. 33rd. St, as opposed to Herald Sq., Penn Station on the west side.

45 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Anyone here know the reason Nostrand Avenue (A)(C) station was built in 2 levels instead of having 2 platforms/4 tracks on one level like the majority of the express stations?

The architects changed their minds in the middle of construction. So they sacrificed the mezzanine to create a stop for the express by pushing the locals to the upper level.