SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Calvin said:

How do the put-ins work for the (B) and (Q) trains that start from C.I/Stillwell Yard since the (N) line part is closed for the winter flood protection?

They don’t go via Sea Beach line via yard. The B and Q put ins are stored on A-D tracks at Stillwell yard and operate via the D from there onto 3/4 track into Stillwell from the west end direction. Usually the R160’s for the Q are at the Coney Island yard section adjacent to the Culver yard though, so the move isn’t hindering the flood protection work. The work is being done on the bypass tracks that via Stillwell yard into Stillwell terminal. 

11 minutes ago, Abba said:

Question:

if a train has a door problem and cannot be overcome. Do they have to discharge the whole train or in some cases just the car that has the issue?

They’d usually key in the doors to close after discharging the passengers and then leave the station. I don’t know abt the latter case though

1 hour ago, Abba said:

Question:

if a train has a door problem and cannot be overcome. Do they have to discharge the whole train or in some cases just the car that has the issue?

I had been two R32/R42 trains with door problem and they just discharged the whole train. But I do frequently see some trains are running with one side door locked.

When a T/O posts during schoolcar, it's my understanding that they must post on each line and yard in their division (A or B.) Do T/Os have any specific "qualifications" for each line, and must they maintain them? Example, a T/O with some seniority on the "A" division picks a job on the (7). They work that job for 5 years. They then want to pick a job on the (4). Would they have to do any requalifying on the Jerome/Lexington/Eastern Parkway Lines? Also, if a T/O is working extra-extra, especially on the B division, how hard is it to keep all the territory straight?

8 hours ago, Abba said:

Question:

Usually they’ll discharge the train and then we’ll pick up an RCI (road car inspector) somewhere along the route to see if he/she can correct the issue. If they can they’ll usually put the train back in service again. 

43 minutes ago, Lex said:

The only (Q) reference is on the trains themselves. They're (N) trains.

That’s not what he asked. He asked if the 96 St-2 Av-bound runs are listed on the printed schedules for either the (N) or (Q).

Answer: It’s only on the (N) timetable. In reality, they are (Q) trains via the Sea Beach Line, 4 Av Express, Manhattan Bridge, Broadway Express, and 2 Av.

EDIT: I just now noticed @Around the Horn answered the question already. My mistake.

Edited by Jemorie

On 10/28/2019 at 10:59 PM, Abba said:

Question:

Depends on the time of day. If it’s off peak, RCC will inform the conductor to cut out the door in Question. If it’s an electrical issue, the train instantly gets taken Out of service. If it’s rush hour, RCC quickly informs the conductor to discharge the train, in efforts to keep service close to schedule. 

10 hours ago, Jemorie said:

That’s not what he asked. He asked if the 96 St-2 Av-bound runs are listed on the printed schedules for either the (N) or (Q).

Answer: It’s only on the (N) timetable. In reality, they are (Q) trains via the Sea Beach Line, 4 Av Express, Manhattan Bridge, Broadway Express, and 2 Av.

EDIT: I just now noticed @Around the Horn answered the question already. My mistake.

Thanks for filling in the blank.

So we're clear, those trains were signed up as (N) trains prior to Second Avenue opening, so I don't buy that they're somehow (Q) trains for a second.

Edited by Lex

On 4/4/2018 at 7:51 PM, Jemorie said:

Yeah. I was thinking about that weekend (C) train frequency argument I had with RR503 and P3F a while back in the R179 Thread and the Proposal Thread a little while ago. I figured that track and signal maintainers/inspectors should only be doing work on full-closure lines rather than under traffic, because doing work while under traffic can be very dangerous. Plus, this allows trains to run a bit more frequently on the weekends to alleviate whatever crowding that occurs.

Doing work on full-closure lines is faster, cheaper, and safer, unlike under traffic. I wonder what any of the (MTA) employees on this forum think once they see this. Some probably will agree fully, some others will partially or won't at all.

This is all something that's been on my mind just today.

I'm a little late to the party, but when I took Track Safety training for SIR, they said the tracks were inspected every day. So I assume the same applies to subway tracks. (For most railroads, track inspection only receives the most basic of protection. As a matter of fact, NYCT says that if the workers have access to a clear-up space within 15 feet, they don't need a portable train trip). But there's still railroads out there that perform track inspection under fully live traffic (as in, the trains don't even slow down when they see the worker). Though most of them have much wider rights-of-way and more access to clear-up spots. 

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm a little late to the party, but when I took Track Safety training for SIR, they said the tracks were inspected every day. So I assume the same applies to subway tracks. (For most railroads, track inspection only receives the most basic of protection. As a matter of fact, NYCT says that if the workers have access to a clear-up space within 15 feet, they don't need a portable train trip). But there's still railroads out there that perform track inspection under fully live traffic (as in, the trains don't even slow down when they see the worker). Though most of them have much wider rights-of-way and more access to clear-up spots. 

I've had a most recent debate again too with @RR503 about increased weekend frequencies=more ridership vs loading guidelines a few pages back. After I gradually reconsidered after only a couple of posts in during the course of our conversation, I think this is worthy of an entirely different thread as opposed to here, where a few members here started bitching their titties off about several long paragraph arguments and labeling them as nothing more than forum clutter, even though it is one of the most pressuring issues among the system and probably other modes of transportation too. Yet they can post multiple one-sentence posts or pictures all at once. Hypocrites.

Anyway, I think this track inspecting and work under live traffic thingy is something that is worthy of more discussion.

Edited by Jemorie