SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if the (J) line 2nd zebra stripe boards will be removed now that the 42s are not on passenger service anymore. Looks like all trains are 4/4. 

No they will not. Lol they still got R40 boards along the (L) line and R110 boards along the Fulton Street line. 

Does anybody know if you can see the old Queensborough Bridge Trolley Terminal from the (N)(R)(W) trains as they are going through the 60 St Tunnel? I saw on this track map that it is near the tunnel, but does anybody know if you can actually see it, like you can with the Williamsburg Bridge Terminal at Delancey-Essex?

14 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Does anybody know if you can see the old Queensborough Bridge Trolley Terminal from the (N)(R)(W) trains as they are going through the 60 St Tunnel? I saw on this track map that it is near the tunnel, but does anybody know if you can actually see it, like you can with the Williamsburg Bridge Terminal at Delancey-Essex?

Forgot to include this in my original post -- but also, does anybody know if there is a retaining wall between the two, and if you can see underground from the trolley kiosk at 59th and 2nd?

@Jova42R

23 hours ago, Jova42R said:

The answer is no. There was never any connection or daylight between the subway tunnel and the trolley terminal. In addition I believe that by the time the subway got near 2nd Ave., it was well below the level of the trolley terminal.

3 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

The answer is no. There was never any connection or daylight between the subway tunnel and the trolley terminal. In addition I believe that by the time the subway got near 2nd Ave., it was well below the level of the trolley terminal.

Thanks! :) 

10 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Feel free to answer this tough transit quiz I made: https://forms.gle/7vfNTDKxKM1BiEJ86

I discovered that the question regarding stops that can only be entered in a single direction is a bug. Aqueduct Racetrack has a single platform and 145th Street on Lenox has two.

1 hour ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I discovered that the question regarding stops that can only be entered in a single direction is a bug. Aqueduct Racetrack has a single platform and 145th Street on Lenox has two.

Technically, every terminal station except Bk Bridge would be the correct answer, along with Old South Ferry and City Hall.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

With the recent rise in amount of homeless people on the trains, how much disruption has there been to daily operations and who in ops/other departments are taking notice?

The amount of sick and disruptive passenger incidents has to be having adverse effects on runtimes, OTP, overtime, and other metrics. Not to mention the safety and bio hazards that follow. At what point does management step in and become more aggressive in keeping homeless people out

The city nor the MTA is not interested in dealing with its homeless problem. Even the attempts at cracking down on fare evasion are being labeled by advocacy groups as 'poverty crime enforcement'. How can they not notice?

Such conditions make it ripe for a coronavirus outbreak. This is by design. As I said in previous posts, NYC is in a controlled breakdown.

I was previously homeless and sought the subway as a refuge, but as a paying customer. Those who pay should never be forced to leave. I was still receiving help to pay for my rides so I could meet employers and landlords. Found myself in an inescapable Catch-22.

I fled Upstate because the cost of living is lower and the transit system is not a mess. NYCT bleeds three times the size of CDTA's budget in fare evasion every year. With a good paying job, you could have $23K left over AFTER taxes.

#FleeNYC

10 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

How is that a bug? 

145th can only be entered in the downtown direction. Uptown is exit only. The question was not about the number of platforms.

11 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Do you have a link to the proposal? 

47557376572_ceccd644db_k.jpgA Framework For Transit Planning In The New York Region 1986 Regional Plan Association Report by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

9 hours ago, Deucey said:

Technically, every terminal station except Bk Bridge would be the correct answer, along with Old South Ferry and City Hall.

Alright, fine. I should have said except terminal stations. You also didn't include 145th, making it incorrect. I would have counted it if you also mentioned 145th.