SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/2/2020 at 9:55 AM, Amtrak706 said:

I can’t stand them on the (A). I’ve never seen them kick anyone in the face in almost 20 years but I still don’t trust them at all. They also seek out people that don’t look interested to try and get a fist bump. So patronizing, lol. And if you manage to dodge them and not get kicked in the head by 125 St, you still have to deal with the mariachi bands between 168 and 175. It can be a real zoo

yeah the 2nd time on the train that stuff happened to me where they get "in your face"

I was in Riverside Park recently, and all the way on the west side, adjacent to the Henry Hudson Parkway, there are some rectangular manhole-type covers, and it sounded like a train running below. Is that connected to the Broadway line somehow or is there some other track down there? Or, was I hallicinating lol?

5 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I was in Riverside Park recently, and all the way on the west side, adjacent to the Henry Hudson Parkway, there are some rectangular manhole-type covers, and it sounded like a train running below. Is that connected to the Broadway line somehow or is there some other track down there? Or, was I hallicinating lol?

That’s the Amtrak to/from Penn Station that travels along the West Side Highway and meets up with the Hudson Line north of Spuyten Duyvil.

So I found out a few days ago about visible horns on some of the R32s (they were delivered like this). From the looks of it only 3350-3499 have it, while 3500-3949, apparently their horns are hidden under the car body. Here are some examples: (from nycsubway.org)

Car 3407:

img_108843.jpg

Car 3798:

img_130999.jpg

Why was it that they changed the placement of the horns on the latter cars? Makes me wonder if the visible horn design was in some way flawed.

22 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

So I found out a few days ago about visible horns on some of the R32s (they were delivered like this). From the looks of it only 3350-3499 have it, while 3500-3949, apparently their horns are hidden under the car body. Here are some examples: (from nycsubway.org)

Car 3407:

img_108843.jpg

Car 3798:

img_130999.jpg

Why was it that they changed the placement of the horns on the latter cars? Makes me wonder if the visible horn design was in some way flawed.

I imagine the explanation with that has to do with later orders. Now, 3350 to 3499 initially had the horns outside because it is possible that the horn was tugged on using a cord, as was done with previous orders and it did not have to do with any flaw regarding the horn design. But 3500 to 3949 did not have them out in the open because they somehow either became test pairs for having buttons to press the horn, or it was done to protect the horn from failing outside. Perhaps the horns were also outside from 3500 to 3949 before the General Overhaul Program, but they may have had them enclosed inside the bulkhead out of fleet standardization with the other fleets around them at the time of its eventual overhaul. The one order that I think made this standard possible was with the R40 since it played by a different design standard that was only introduced before it came to the R62 for the Interborough Rapid Transit. Many of the horns along the IRT prior to the 62 were known for being outside.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu
Spacing

23 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I imagine the explanation with that has to do with later orders. Now, 3350 to 3499 initially had the horns outside because it is possible that the horn was tugged on using a cord, as was done with previous orders and it did not have to do with any flaw regarding the horn design. But 3500 to 3949 did not have them out in the open because they somehow either became test pairs for having buttons to press the horn, or it was done to protect the horn from failing outside. Perhaps the horns were also outside from 3500 to 3949 before the General Overhaul Program, but they may have had them enclosed inside the bulkhead out of fleet standardization with the other fleets around them at the time of its eventual overhaul. The one order that I think made this standard possible was with the R40 since it played by a different design standard that was only introduced before it came to the R62 for the Interborough Rapid Transit. Many of the horns along the IRT prior to the 62 were known for being outside.

The horns were visible on many cars built prior to the R32s. I’m aware that they were on the Redbirds, R16s, R30s, R10s, etc.. Personally, I happen to really like this feature, as it seems very “old-fashioned.” Also, if you look at historical photos, you can tell that 3500-3949 weren’t delivered with the visible bulkhead horns to begin with.

Car 3742: (1965) Courtesy to nycsubway.org

img_24529.jpg

Those 150 R32s were also the last cars to receive this feature, with the R38s being the first fleet to be entirely built without the visible bulkhead horns, so really the R32/R38s made the new horn placement, presumably under the car body into a standard for future car orders.

Few weeks, 1942-1938-1926-1938 and 1934: has its regular rollsign. As of today, it has upgraded white LED lighting and looped standing poles with single lined rollsigns. *This 5-car set still has its corona purple and red sticker attached as former single units. 

After work being done on 1943-4/7-9, that's it for the (6) 's R62As (all originally removed) 

Edited by Calvin

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Few weeks, 1942-1938-1926-1938 and 1934: has its regular rollsign. As of today, it has upgraded white LED lighting and looped standing poles with single lined rollsigns. 

After worked being done on 1943-4/7-9, that's it for the (6) 's R62As (all originally removed) 

I saw 2071-2075 today, and was disappointed to see all of its original rollsigns removed. At least 240th Street (1) was more generous in keeping its cars with their originality. Also what’s the story about 2096-2100, I saw that set yesterday with 2096 with the new lighting, while 2097-2100 still have the older florescent lighting.

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

Few weeks, 1942-1938-1926-1938 and 1934: has its regular rollsign. As of today, it has upgraded white LED lighting and looped standing poles with single lined rollsigns. *This 5-car set still has its corona purple and red sticker attached as former single units. 

After work being done on 1943-4/7-9, that's it for the (6) 's R62As (all originally removed) 

42nd (S)huttle R62A's are next.

Already 6 19xx-R62As from the shuttle have had there rollsigns changed. Saw them a few weeks back by the overhaul shop from the 207 street station.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:08 PM, Union Tpke said:

@MHV9218 @Lance I have never seen this interesting 1/9 skip-stop sign before. Do either of you know anything about it?

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?7041

img_7041.jpg

Think I missed this one. Have to admit I haven't seen that before. Sort of reminds me of the 60s-70s line maps in stations. Looks to be a porcelain sign which is twice as neat. I wonder if any of those are still hanging. I wouldn't be surprised, just underneath some tin signs. Could be at 14th St...

42nd St Grand Central and Bryant Park was mayhem yesterday on the 31st. Other stations are pictured and streets as well.  

- Protest along the entire terminal including subway entrances and platforms. This causes NYPD to block off subway entrances with the massive crowd holding signs.

-Also, messages was shown on paper scattered all over the subway walk throughs, platforms and tagged on a busy Friday rush. 

* Some turnstiles were covered in gorilla glue from this cause

Edited by Calvin

6 hours ago, 7-express said:

I have a weekly unlimited card that's due to expire in 30 days but have not used it yet.  Can it be transferred to a new card at a vending machine?  Or does a booth have to do it for me?

Good question. I think swiping a weekly or monthly even just to see the value on the card actually activates it IIRC, it may be safer to transfer it at booth just in case. They might actually have you mail it in, thinking of how their protocols have worked in the past.

24 minutes ago, Calvin said:

42nd St Grand Central and Bryant Park was mayhem yesterday on the 31st. Other stations are pictured and streets as well.  

- Protest along the entire terminal including subway entrances and platforms. This causes NYPD to block off subway entrances with the massive crowd holding signs.

-Also, messages was shown on paper scattered all over the subway walk throughs, platforms and tagged on a busy Friday rush. 

* Some turnstiles were covered in gorilla glue from this cause

Oh wow, that's crazy.

Edited by N6 Limited

Did the MTA change the programming of the MVMs? Now, when I refill my Metrocard with a credit/debit card, it has me type in my zip code on the screen instead of usingthe keypad. Now the keypad seems to be useless? I don't especially like this change, as anyone behind me can see my zipcode as I type it in (even though it turns into stars after a second, you can still read it if you are looking closely as I type)