SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It's clear that this topic hits close to home for many of you, and you're correct, my concerns aren't substantiated.

I stand by my suspicions, however. The debt vultures will swoop down eventually.

Well what the hell else would you expect from a NYC based transit forum....

You can keep your little funky suspicions & the fervor you're conveying it with... Your posts have always had this tired ass upstate NY vs. NYC tinge to it....

MTA workers are already beginning to get sick and there's a huge drop in ridership. I was just in NYC this past Monday. My bias does not make the reality any different for those below I-287. People are gonna get "railroaded".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/markets/new-york-e2-80-99s-mta-takes-a-ridership-hit-as-investors-hang-on/ar-BB11pZLE

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marleycoyne/2020/03/20/23-new-york-area-transit-workers-have-tested-positive-for-coronavirus/#3cd7565129a5

I'm not making anything up. Stop pretending that this isn't real.

18 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

MTA workers are already beginning to get sick and there's a huge drop in ridership. I was just in NYC this past Monday. My bias does not make the reality any different for those below I-287. People are gonna get "railroaded".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/markets/new-york-e2-80-99s-mta-takes-a-ridership-hit-as-investors-hang-on/ar-BB11pZLE

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marleycoyne/2020/03/20/23-new-york-area-transit-workers-have-tested-positive-for-coronavirus/#3cd7565129a5

What are you suggesting is going to happen? MTA service, if it were to be curtailed, would be curtailed because of a decree from Cuomo, not because of anybody economically tied to the MTA's debt payments. It probably will get reduced, but even in Italy the trains are still running. It will not be shut down entirely.

1 minute ago, MHV9218 said:

What are you suggesting is going to happen? MTA service, if it were to be curtailed, would be curtailed because of a decree from Cuomo, not because of anybody economically tied to the MTA's debt payments. It probably will get reduced, but even in Italy the trains are still running. It will not be shut down entirely.

I never said service was going to get cut by order. I have absolutely no one in my ear. I literally admitted that in the first reply. My concern was the dynamic. Given Byford's departure, the Coronavirus pandemic, the MTA and Cuomo's denial in what led to his departure, a series of unfortunate events will occur by which the MTA will be cancelled. If it doesn't occur by order, it will by actuality.

What I meant by debt vultures are those who hold MTA bonds. The moment any of them waver, those pensions will go the way of St. Clares, but one hundred times worse.

10 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

3 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

I never said service was going to get cut by order. I have absolutely no one in my ear. I literally admitted that in the first reply. My concern was the dynamic. Given Byford's departure, the Coronavirus pandemic, the MTA and Cuomo's denial in what led to his departure, a series of unfortunate events will occur by which the MTA will be cancelled. If it doesn't occur by order, it will by actuality.

What I meant by debt vultures are those who hold MTA bonds. The moment any of them waver, those pensions will go the way of St. Clares, but one hundred times worse.

The only pretending going on here is this concern you're exuding.... Are NYC residents on here supposed to be impressed by someone with an upstate NY bias telling us that you was in NYC this past Monday - as if you're some beacon of information, apprising those of us well "below I-287" what we already know? Honestly now.

Funny how two days ago, we were experiencing a manufactured crisis - but now you're not making anything up & we have to stop pretending that this isn't real, because a few people on a forum is checking you about this whole MTA shutting down bit.... It's one thing to have the mindset that there'll be service decreases due to ridership decreases & front line workers suffering from whatever ailment they're suffering from - it's another to sit on here on some, oh, the MTA's gonna pull the plug shit....

...and throwing Byford's name into the mix in your little slippery slope argument, isn't helping your case for an MTA shutdown or some cancellation...

2 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

MTA still runs. Italy still has service. PATH and NJT are still operating despite some areas like Hoboken having an official curfew. Not to even mention that PATH is losing billions yearly as well yet they're still here. What's the "point" you're tryna make?

On 3/19/2020 at 4:57 PM, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

It's clear that this topic hits close to home for many of you, and you're correct, my concerns aren't substantiated.

I stand by my suspicions, however. The debt vultures will swoop down eventually.

Stop spreading false rumors. MTA is never gonna close

23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The only pretending going on here is this concern you're exuding.... Are NYC residents on here supposed to be impressed by someone with an upstate NY bias telling us that you was in NYC this past Monday - as if you're some beacon of information, apprising those of us well "below I-287" what we already know? Honestly now.

Funny how two days ago, we were experiencing a manufactured crisis - but now you're not making anything up & we have to stop pretending that this isn't real, because a few people on a forum is checking you about this whole MTA shutting down bit.... It's one thing to have the mindset that there'll be service decreases due to ridership decreases & front line workers suffering from whatever ailment they're suffering from - it's another to sit on here on some, oh, the MTA's gonna pull the plug shit....

...and throwing Byford's name into the mix in your little slippery slope argument, isn't helping your case for an MTA shutdown or some cancellation...

I spent three years up close and personal with the city, its residents and transit system.

My bias is informed by real suffering and real-world experience, not second hand comments. My experience, however, does make me understand why Upstate resents the MTA so much.

I just wonder why you guys allowed Rockefeller to do what he did. This is why the MTA's hella insolvent. While the lights will be kept on, this isn't sustainable financially, and I repeat, your debtors will come for you.

28 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

I spent three years up close and personal with the city, its residents and transit system.

My bias is informed by real suffering and real-world experience, not second hand comments. My experience, however, does make me understand why Upstate resents the MTA so much.

I just wonder why you guys allowed Rockefeller to do what he did. This is why the MTA's hella insolvent. While the lights will be kept on, this isn't sustainable financially, and I repeat, your debtors will come for you.

Unprovoked, you blurted out to MHV9218 that "I have absolutely no one in my ear".... You reassure it by telling me that whatever biases you have aren't "informed" by second hand comments....

**Newsflash**: Nobody gives a shit about if you're being influenced by some outside force with this narrative you're spewing & defending on here, or if it's an original "suspicion" of yours - but it's amazing how "us guys" have to answer for Rockefeller - all because, and yet again, you're running on nothing but an assumption that the MTA's shutting down....

You forgot to inform us NYC residents well below I-287 that not only is the MTA not shutting down, but are suspending fares for local buses...

Good job though at condescendingly repeating that our debtors will come for us - because, you know, that's definitely someone that's concerned for those of us in NYC & not someone that feels some type of way about this region of the state, gleefully wagging a virtual finger, anticipating for an event of sorts to happen...

23 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

MTA still runs. Italy still has service. PATH and NJT are still operating despite some areas like Hoboken having an official curfew. Not to even mention that PATH is losing billions yearly as well yet they're still here. What's the "point" you're tryna make?

He's trying to convince himself that he's right, because he wants an MTA shutdown for the purpose of sticking it to New Yorkers here in the city.... His mindset is very typical of quite a bit of upstate NY patrons, FYI.....

Just now, B35 via Church said:

Unprovoked, you blurted out to MHV9218 that "I have absolutely no one in my ear".... You reassure it by telling me that whatever biases you have aren't "informed" by second hand comments....

**Newsflash**: Nobody gives a shit about if you're being influenced by some outside force with this narrative you're spewing & defending on here, or if it's an original "suspicion" of yours - but it's amazing how "us guys" have to answer for Rockefeller - all because, and yet again, you're running on nothing but an assumption that the MTA's shutting down....

You forgot to inform us NYC residents well below I-287 that not only is the MTA not shutting down, but are suspending fares for local buses...

Good job though at condescendingly repeating that our debtors will come for us - because, you know, that's definitely someone that's concerned for those of us in NYC & not someone that feels some type of way about this region of the state, gleefully wagging a virtual finger, anticipating for an event of sorts to happen...

He's trying to convince himself that he's right, because he wants an MTA shutdown for the purpose of sticking it to New Yorkers here in the city.... His mindset is very typical of quite a bit of upstate NY patrons, FYI.....

The shutdown of commerce would be devastating to the WHOLE state's economy. I would never wish that upon anybody. Those conditions alone could cause an explosion in poverty (which has happened before).

You guys KNOW your situation isn't financially tenable. Stop pretending that it is.

I wish things turned out differently for you guys. I think y'all got a raw deal. You completely ignored my Rockefeller remark. I thought that with Byford, maybe you would see some much needed change, but given that he was pushed out, it's clear you cannot. Don't ignore Byford's departure as if it doesn't factor in. It absolutely does.

If you're going to rebut my concerns, do so without assuming how I think.

I know that some of you are employees. You're less inclined to believe me because I no longer have a stake in the city's affairs (which I admitted in my status earlier this week). You don't have to. But at the very least, stock up on some precious metals because there's a reasonable chance your pensions could be at risk.

I wish I was wrong. I really do. I don't do this to spread fear. I'm saying this so you can prepare. But if you don't want to, "this is fine."

5 minutes ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

The shutdown of commerce would be devastating to the WHOLE state's economy. I would never wish that upon anybody. Those conditions alone could cause an explosion in poverty (which has happened before).

You guys KNOW your situation isn't financially tenable. Stop pretending that it is.

I wish things turned out differently for you guys. I think y'all got a raw deal. You completely ignored my Rockefeller remark. I thought that with Byford, maybe you would see some much needed change, but given that he was pushed out, it's clear you cannot. Don't ignore Byford's departure as if it doesn't factor in. It absolutely does.

If you're going to rebut my concerns, do so without assuming how I think.

I know that some of you are employees. You're less inclined to believe me because I no longer have a stake in the city's affairs (which I admitted in my status earlier this week). You don't have to. But at the very least, stock up on some precious metals because there's a reasonable chance your pensions could be at risk.

I wish I was wrong. I really do. I don't do this to spread fear. I'm saying this so you can prepare. But if you don't want to, "this is fine."

That's just it - I don't have to assume how you think, you've already admitted you have a bias & the rest of your posts further illustrate it....

Use as many colors as you'd like to convey your thoughts, your conjecture isn't backed by anything.... Byford's abilities & his unfortunate departure has shit to do with an MTA shutdown (as if he is the only person on planet earth, capable of ever holding his former position)... Your Rockefeller remark served no other purpose than being quantitative of a shot at NYC... The fact that you continue to mention someone pretending, isn't anything more than a projection that you want the MTA to shutdown...

Don't worry about our preparations, we good down here.

Not even worth this back and forth. We already have restrictions in place and is beyond obvious and everyone on the forum knows the MTA is in a situation worse than a budget crunch.  Nothing else to discuss. Time to clock out.

37 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

This makes me question tho: anyone think we're gonna have at least a form of holiday schedule for subways in effect? Iirc SEPTA started to do this recently and the MNRR Hudson Line was put in weekend service until further notice.

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

This makes me question tho: anyone think we're gonna have at least a form of holiday schedule for subways in effect? Iirc SEPTA started to do this recently and the MNRR Hudson Line was put in weekend service until further notice.

Some form of an alternate (or altered) schedule, yeah, I can see that happening eventually.... The question will be one of, to what extent.

Huge difference between no public transportation & dwindled service levels of it.

14 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Some form of an alternate (or altered) schedule, yeah, I can see that happening eventually.... The question will be one of, to what extent.

Huge difference between no public transportation & dwindled service levels of it.

Mhmm.

It's also worth noting that healthcare workers do use public transit to get around, so shutting it down would probably make essential workplaces (hospital, fire, police, etc.) function even worse than they are given the situation at hand.

I have to wonder if on some lesser-used lines, at least on evenings and weekends, it may be useful to run only half-length trains to save money, similar to the 2-car SIRT trains at night (and for the SIR, 3-car trains as the new normal might not be so bad right now). Can trains be broken up at terminals with half a train taken back to the yard, or can this only be done in the yard? (This issue also suddenly justifies the retirement of the 55-year-old R32 fleet, which was supposed to be retired about 15 years ago.) The frequency needs to be maintained, but I would argue for a capacity reduction depending on the line.

Also, with the next mass shipment of N95 masks coming here, I would say that it should be mandated for all front-line personnel to wear them, either TA issued or their own if they have their own.

Edited by aemoreira81

On 3/20/2020 at 6:29 PM, Lawrence St said:

Hey @Union Tpke for some reason 103rd St and 34th St have invalid pages, not sure why. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_(New_York_City_Subway_service)#Service_pattern

That may have been corrected immediately @Lawrence St.

Speaking of which, I thought it was best to issue a trivia quiz of my own design. It also includes a few trivia questions on bus routes as well as transit history, but most of it centers around the subway. There were a few questions I had to change around, but I hope you guys have fun with this.

Here's the link: https://forms.gle/m8T4ciyFuc8bBgqA6

4 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

I have to wonder if on some lesser-used lines, at least on evenings and weekends, it may be useful to run only half-length trains to save money, similar to the 2-car SIRT trains at night (and for the SIR, 3-car trains as the new normal might not be so bad right now). Can trains be broken up at terminals with half a train taken back to the yard, or can this only be done in the yard? (This issue also suddenly justifies the retirement of the 55-year-old R32 fleet, which was supposed to be retired about 15 years ago.) The frequency needs to be maintained, but I would argue for a capacity reduction depending on the line.

Also, with the next mass shipment of N95 masks coming here, I would say that it should be mandated for all front-line personnel to wear them, either TA issued or their own if they have their own.

If it could be done and maintain the 6ft distance recommendation with the current ridership level, I don’t see why not.

Does beg a question though: why do R68/A and R62/A have half-cabs with operator controls in the middle two/three carriages if they never use them?

I think either @Trainmaster5 or another employee explained a while ago why trains are generally not cut in half anymore. I think it was due to added labor time and cost to do that. 

Currently the late night Euclid - Lefferts (A) shuttle is the only half length operation. The weekend (M) was too when it only ran to Myrtle or Essex in the past. 

I wonder if they truly would consider some form of shortened train lengths though in the current situation

44 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If it could be done and maintain the 6ft distance recommendation with the current ridership level, I don’t see why not.

Does beg a question though: why do R68/A and R62/A have half-cabs with operator controls in the middle two/three carriages if they never use them?

They were originally designed as single cars so all cabs were in use (in fact all R62/As were half cabs originally and designed for full cab conversion)

They linked them into sets in the 90's IINM