BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

20 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It took some buff reporting a bus on Twitter while screenshotting bustrek for that to happen.

OH COME ON!!!!!! That was actually useful so I know when to leave my dam house to catch the bus.

Whoever it was that ruined it, rot in ****.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Off topic but is it possible  for ENY to convert  the B15 to a full X equipment  route I been noticing lots of XD40s on the line coming back and not one OG popin out on it. Like for Example  I see tons of them popin up on the B15 at mother Gaston then get on My B35 and check the tracker and check to see what's on the route but surprisingly it was nuthing but all XD40s and its rn too lol Not one OG on the B15.

It could have been 3 possible reasons why you were  seeing more XD40 on that day instead of OG.

Bus operator preference

Some of the OG are temporary OOS

Or on that  specific day, they needed some of xD on a specific route for long distance driving for Maintenance purpose.

43 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It took some buff reporting a bus on Twitter while screenshotting bustrek for that to happen.

Lmfao he tweeted it to the official MTA account no less! I'm dead. The hell did he think was gonna happen? These foamers don't even think.

12 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Well some of us actually used it to track buses that were NIS or late so we could plan our commutes better.

Obv I know bus time is still here it's just now as informative as bustrek.

@Lawrence St

I see. Not too many people use it for nis buses from most people I know so i apologize.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

BusTrek offered more info than BusTime did which is the point, and it also shows ghost buses, which BusTime can’t do.

Wow... I never tried bustrek but for an operator prospective point of view that info was sharing  too much with the public 🙏😉😝

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Wow... I never tried bustrek but for an operator prospective point of view that info was sharing  too much with the public 🙏😉😝

I'm not gonna lie @Flatbush SBS Duece, you can even click on a bus and it shows that persons entire paddle for the whole day. I agree it's too much for the public to see. 

Imagine someone walking up to you on the bus like "you just was on break for 2 hrs, why are you 20mins late on your first trip back out LMAOO". 

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Most of the stuff was mumbo jumbo anyway that you couldnt understand unless you were actually involved in operations. Most of us just used it for tracking buses.

ROFLMAO with all the panties in a wad over the whole BusTrek stuff. So let's go through this:

a] MTA "somehow" lets BusTrek access be on the public side -- with all their highly-paid characters who *should* be guarding against that actually happening letting it happen. b] People take advantage of it. c] People blab all over about it, and actually use it to "shame" the MTA. d] MTA finally decides to secure it, leading to even more 'secrecy' all of you are up in arms about.

MTA has already said (at least I saw @Via Garibaldi 8 make specific mention of how they told him/his group) to rely on the BusTime for 'true' data, so why do you want to make the "shamer" part of your ridicule? THE MTA IS THE ONE AT FAULT, NOT THE PERSON WHO "BLABBED".

WHY DON'T YOU HOLD THE MTA ACCOUNTABLE? There should be NO discrepancies, period.

Unless there IS something to hide. Apparently there is, but you want to hold the wrong person to account.

6 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

ROFLMAO with all the panties in a wad over the whole BusTrek stuff. So let's go through this:

a] MTA "somehow" lets BusTrek access be on the public side -- with all their highly-paid characters who *should* be guarding against that actually happening letting it happen. b] People take advantage of it. c] People blab all over about it, and actually use it to "shame" the MTA. d] MTA finally decides to secure it, leading to even more 'secrecy' all of you are up in arms about.

MTA has already said (at least I saw @Via Garibaldi 8 make specific mention of how they told him/his group) to rely on the BusTime for 'true' data, so why do you want to make the "shamer" part of your ridicule? THE MTA IS THE ONE AT FAULT, NOT THE PERSON WHO "BLABBED".

WHY DON'T YOU HOLD THE MTA ACCOUNTABLE? There should be NO discrepancies, period.

Unless there IS something to hide. Apparently there is, but you want to hold the wrong person to account.

You know what, this is kind of true. After all, why run away from the police if you have nothing to hide? The only thing BusTrek featured was exactly how poorly the (MTA) was running its services anyway, and we have a multitude of other apps for public use to track buses.

32 minutes ago, DetSMART45 said:

The thing is, that screenshot that the person posted on twitter exposed bustrek's accessibility to the public. Before that, the only people who really knew about this were fans like us (probably on this website) and a few others, which is a relatively small portion. While virtually nobody here used it with bad intentions in mind, how the rest of the riding public would react, is a different story. Once they go look up the site and play with the features there, knowing that there are more advanced features than bustime, at the very least there would be a few who will guaranteed use that to get at B/O's. If that was never sent to the MTA, then chances are things wouldn't have really changed.

Not saying that there wasn't any issue that could arise of having bustrek accessible like that, but the frustration is with the person doing that, without thinking of the consequences it can have (especially for MTA personnel). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Sad thing is that unless all of you playing on BusTrek were on VPNs (or on TOR), all your IPs were tracked and harvested. So, on the one hand, MTA could come after you for accessing their private network, blah blah blah. But then OTOH, they were lax in not seeing all the traffic as well as having it open.

Plenty of blame to go around, and questions to be answered. But if you're not asking the MTA to be TRUTHFUL about their operations, you're missing one hell of an opportunity here, IMO. 

12 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

The B82 sbs has gotten bad recently. Wait times are longer and I’m not sure if it’s because of the recent pick. Literally last month the wait times for it wasn’t bad at all it was 10 minutes off peak and 6-9 during rush hour. Now I’m waiting for the bus and there’s a 25 minute gap for the sbs the locals are running better than the sbs. Not sure what happened. 

It could be some runs have operators who just fail to show or the buses are starting to break down after a few months of heavy use. There's many reasons the buses may have gaps outside of traffic causing such gaps. 

8 minutes ago, Elmhurst said:

If only I had known about this system before... BusTime has failed me many times especially with the Q31.

Last year, I suggested to them that they should update their twitter profile pic and banner. They replied, "Thanks, we'll notify supervision." 

WOW!! This is the first time me knowing Bustrek was actually sharing the buses information to the public. This feature is more of an management tool which the Surface Line Dispatchers uses to monitor the bus route and etc, but of course dispatchers has more features add on's and controlling options. 

Sorry to say, But I'm glad they took that feature down, because that was too much information sharing with the public, and I would be damn if a passenger came up to me using the bustrek features to try to question me why I'm late based on my paddle report  and etc.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

you can even click on a bus and it shows that persons entire paddle for the whole day. I agree it's too much for the public to see.

overshare with the general public. slippery slope. way too much info on the streets. this is how things happen to B/O's while on duty... disgruntled ex/lover, etc having that much access to your work day smh. this would be equivalent to the NYPD telling civilians the "color of the day"... glad they corrected this MISTAKE. 

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Wait wait wait woah hold up...

How did "JP" not get in hot water for publicly mentioning BusTrek on NYCT Bus's account? Surely that's a faux pas? 

I guess no one noticed that little slip...

10 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

I run an advocacy group. For me it's interesting to see what metrics the (MTA) is using for express bus service.  I already had a system in place using BusTime to monitor service, so no biggie. Nevertheless, I'd like to thank the big mouths for ruining it for those of us that were using it on the down low and not taking screenshots and posting on Twitter or anywhere else. I mean how stupid are people!!??? There are some people that knew about it on the down low and kept it that way and now they can't use it, so a big thank you to those people that ruined it.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8